Wet sanding plastic center console (ph1 Spider) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 02-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Meath
Garage
Wet sanding plastic center console (ph1 Spider)

Lads any tips on wet and dry sanding plastic?

I've not done it before but reckon the plastic center conole in my spider could do with a spruce up. Its got scratches all over it from years of service and just looks crap. Ive seen others sand and paint them before and think it would look great painted mat black.

I am going to get the seats sprayed soon and reackon its the time to do it now so all will look good.

My alternative is to maybe remove it and give it to a panel beater? or even give it to the guy thats going to do the seats but I dont want to drive up the price.

Take a look at the pics - Center Console Looks Tired Photo by David_Carpenter | Photobucket

Davetech74 - Kells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Hi Dave, do a few searches mate, that's loads of info and examples of those of us that have refirbed the console. You'll be amazed how many different methods there are in getting rid of the old covering
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
I'd give it to the paintshop guy. He'll do a proper job, and you probably couldn't buy the materials you'd need to do it any cheaper.
Global Mod Team

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
If you look in the 916 lounge quite a few people have tried different options on this
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 08-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Actually I did it myself in the end, must take a pic and put it up.

First took the two bits of the console off and rubbed them down with celulose thinner (halfords 7.99) and a rough cloth. It takes ages but is worth it. just keep applying and rubbing until it all comes off. Wash it down with soapy water until all the bits of rubber are off then get a bucket of water and put some wet and dry sand paper, 1000 grit, in it to soak. 20 mins later wet the console half that you are starting with down and give it a good rub down. Make sure you get into all the corners. Wash down again and leave to dry.
When its dry make sure there are no little bits of grit in the corners with a cotton bud then get your can of primer out. Give it a good shake and put it on some newspaper. Weight the corners of the newspaper down if you are doing this outside like I was, last thing you need is the wind picking up the paper and sticking it to the wet paint/primer.
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 08-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
When the primer (plastic primer Halfords 6.99) is dry, can only take an hour on a dry sunny day, wet and rub down again, wash and repeat. Primer again and rub down again and then use 1200 grit as a last pass. Should feel really smooth now. Wash and dry off again. This time grab something for the console to sit on, block of wood wrapped in paper was what I used. This allows you to prop up one end and consentrate on it then on the next pass prop the other end up and paint that end.
Anyway I used matt black paint (motor factors 7.99). I sprayed lightly taking time to not build too much up each time. Start spraying about two inches before you hit the plastic sweeping accross the plastic and continue spaying fror a few inches after. This means that there is no initial build up of paint. Again leave about 20mins between coats. It takes a while but be patiant with it, it will be in the car constanty reminding you if you dont. If you do build up too much paint dont worry, let it harden and rub it down with your wet and dry again to get rid of the paint build up and go back over.
I gave it about three coats altogether and it turned out great. Leave it overnight - 24hrs at least to harden and then put it all back together.

Oh I didnt mention the ciggy lighter, its a ******* to pull apart, take the pod that holds the pins together off the end by prying up the metal legs eather side. Pull the black bulb holder off and push the metal core through the center and then take out the green light up plastic bit, to put it back together just reverse and use a vice grips to bush the metal legs of the pin pod back together.

Job done and well worth doing!
I will throw some pics up.
Jim33

Three rattle cans, a couple of sheets of sandpaper and a day spent in the sun. A cheap and satisfying way of doing it IMO. Nice one, we do need pics though Dave, your effort was worth nothing without pictures.

mo4
AO Member

County: -
Nice job, I'm doing mine tomorrow in the coupe. Hopefully the sun will last

For info, methylated spirits, the purple stuff, dissolves that old rubber coating.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Jim33

Looks well, its some difference from before and a lovely finish.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
center , console , ph1 , plastic , sanding , spider , wet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page