New to alfa and considering a 159 Ti 2.4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 28-05-13 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
County: -
Posts: 6

Member car:

BMW

New to alfa and considering a 159 Ti 2.4

Hi,

I'm currently driving a 2008 BMW 320D msport - it's a great all around package - great drive, comfortable but not soft, well build, looks great and great bang for buck. I'm considering a change and was struggling to find a replacement within reasonable cost until I saw a 159 Ti - lovely looking car both inside and out - would be looking to import a 2.4 from the UK.

Problem is that I know nothing about the 159 or alfa in general and given the historical reputation I was hoping someone could help me with some practical feedback - build quaility, reliability of engine, running gear, etc, any known issues. Also, what are they like to drive, performance of the 2.4, etc. I can only find 2 1.9 TI's in Ireland so doubt I will get a chance to drive a 2.4 before I would purchase and so obviously want as much feedback as possible to help my decision.

Thanks in advance
seanui is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,959
Garage
Welcome to AO & to the Irish Lounge


A few things come to mind regarding the 159 which get constantly highlighted in the 159 Tech Lounge Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum (might be an idea to post your question there anyway as it'll be seen by many more 159 owners )


On the Ti with 19" alloys tyre wear can be an issue if the tracking isn't set correctly & tyres are very expensive for the big brand names in the correct size & spec, more info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...rect-data.html


Not everyone is impressed with the mpg from the 2.4 https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...nsumption.html


Another issue to look out for is with the power steering pump/rack which can fail, the reservoir should have green fluid in it not red. Some info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ing-fluid.html


Hope that helps & good luck with the 159 hunt
David P is offline  
Jim33
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just buy it, at least it wont want to kill you every time its wet like your beemer ;-)
 
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 30-05-13 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
County: -
Posts: 6

Member car:

BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Welcome to AO & to the Irish Lounge


A few things come to mind regarding the 159 which get constantly highlighted in the 159 Tech Lounge Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum (might be an idea to post your question there anyway as it'll be seen by many more 159 owners )


On the Ti with 19" alloys tyre wear can be an issue if the tracking isn't set correctly & tyres are very expensive for the big brand names in the correct size & spec, more info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...rect-data.html


Not everyone is impressed with the mpg from the 2.4 https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...nsumption.html


Another issue to look out for is with the power steering pump/rack which can fail, the reservoir should have green fluid in it not red. Some info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ing-fluid.html


Hope that helps & good luck with the 159 hunt

Thanks for this - I'll repost in the 159 forum as well
seanui is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 30-05-13 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
County: -
Posts: 6

Member car:

BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim33 View Post
Just buy it, at least it wont want to kill you every time its wet like your beemer ;-)
That was the case with the runflats alright but now I've got some decent non-runflat tyres wet weather handling is superb.
seanui is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,959
Garage
And another thing to look out for is rust on the subframe, especially if it's an import from across the water where there's no shortage of salt.
David P is offline  
Status: Giggity Giggity...... Giggitygoo
AO Silver Member
 
Alfa155 TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 3,230

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

my mate has one. It is without doubt the one single diesel car I would buy, it is an awesome engine and the gearing is really good. You also have the benefit that its drop dead gorgeous, especially the estate version.
The car goes like a rocket and the sound is so good given its a diesel, I was really surprised, it makes the right noises. As for economy he reckons it is better than his previous car which was a 1.6 petrol 147. I think that says enough.
Alfa155 TS is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 04-06-13 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
County: -
Posts: 6

Member car:

BMW

Thanks guys, some lovely looking examples across the water - full AA/RAC check would be carried out if I do import and I'd like go for 'used approved' from alfa (similar to what I did with the BM)
seanui is offline  
Status: Still driving a Volvo :/
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 3,807
I've heard that the earlier 2.4 was much better. I've got the 140bhp version and I effing love it. Goes like stink and has managed near constant 40mpg on any type of drive. Engine is bulletproof.
Then there is the 175bhp version but they say the driveshafts are cheese.
If you are considering the 159 2.4 then remember to go for the 210bhp version and not the 200 as the 210 is more reliable
bear1 is offline  
Status: skint!
AO Silver Member
 
cannotstop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 1,489
Garage
..and then remap it!
cannotstop is offline  
Status: Still driving a Volvo :/
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 3,807
World of possibilities, remove the egr and dpf, remap... then if your flush, upgrade the turbo/fuel pump and injectors... I'd say you'd get it to the 300bhp mark then
bear1 is offline  
Status: 00 V 00
AO Silver Member
 
alfamj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 1,315

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
World of possibilities, remove the egr and dpf, remap... then if your flush, upgrade the turbo/fuel pump and injectors... I'd say you'd get it to the 300bhp mark then
At hitting 300bhp you'd be looking at getting an uprated twin plate clutch... it would be a mega quick car.

I think an uprated turbo would do the car a world of good. I find the turbo spool quite lax.

My dad's remap on the 159 Ti 1.9 is just shy of 200bhp. (Up from 150). There is such a surge of torque, it's amazing. I love watching the turbo bar gauge in the centre console, it has to be my favourite instrument on the display. Brembos are a must if you are tweaking the output up!
alfamj is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , alfa

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome