New to alfa and considering a 159 Ti 2.4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 28-05-13 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

BMW

New to alfa and considering a 159 Ti 2.4

Hi,

I'm currently driving a 2008 BMW 320D msport - it's a great all around package - great drive, comfortable but not soft, well build, looks great and great bang for buck. I'm considering a change and was struggling to find a replacement within reasonable cost until I saw a 159 Ti - lovely looking car both inside and out - would be looking to import a 2.4 from the UK.

Problem is that I know nothing about the 159 or alfa in general and given the historical reputation I was hoping someone could help me with some practical feedback - build quaility, reliability of engine, running gear, etc, any known issues. Also, what are they like to drive, performance of the 2.4, etc. I can only find 2 1.9 TI's in Ireland so doubt I will get a chance to drive a 2.4 before I would purchase and so obviously want as much feedback as possible to help my decision.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Welcome to AO & to the Irish Lounge

A few things come to mind regarding the 159 which get constantly highlighted in the 159 Tech Lounge Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum (might be an idea to post your question there anyway as it'll be seen by many more 159 owners )

On the Ti with 19" alloys tyre wear can be an issue if the tracking isn't set correctly & tyres are very expensive for the big brand names in the correct size & spec, more info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...rect-data.html

Not everyone is impressed with the mpg from the 2.4 https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...nsumption.html

Another issue to look out for is with the power steering pump/rack which can fail, the reservoir should have green fluid in it not red. Some info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ing-fluid.html

Hope that helps & good luck with the 159 hunt
Jim33

Just buy it, at least it wont want to kill you every time its wet like your beemer ;-)

(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 30-05-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Welcome to AO & to the Irish Lounge

A few things come to mind regarding the 159 which get constantly highlighted in the 159 Tech Lounge Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum (might be an idea to post your question there anyway as it'll be seen by many more 159 owners )

On the Ti with 19" alloys tyre wear can be an issue if the tracking isn't set correctly & tyres are very expensive for the big brand names in the correct size & spec, more info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...rect-data.html

Not everyone is impressed with the mpg from the 2.4 https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...nsumption.html

Another issue to look out for is with the power steering pump/rack which can fail, the reservoir should have green fluid in it not red. Some info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ing-fluid.html

Hope that helps & good luck with the 159 hunt

Thanks for this - I'll repost in the 159 forum as well
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 30-05-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim33 View Post
Just buy it, at least it wont want to kill you every time its wet like your beemer ;-)
That was the case with the runflats alright but now I've got some decent non-runflat tyres wet weather handling is superb.

County: Cork
Garage
And another thing to look out for is rust on the subframe, especially if it's an import from across the water where there's no shortage of salt.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

my mate has one. It is without doubt the one single diesel car I would buy, it is an awesome engine and the gearing is really good. You also have the benefit that its drop dead gorgeous, especially the estate version.
The car goes like a rocket and the sound is so good given its a diesel, I was really surprised, it makes the right noises. As for economy he reckons it is better than his previous car which was a 1.6 petrol 147. I think that says enough.
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 04-06-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

BMW

Thanks guys, some lovely looking examples across the water - full AA/RAC check would be carried out if I do import and I'd like go for 'used approved' from alfa (similar to what I did with the BM)
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
I've heard that the earlier 2.4 was much better. I've got the 140bhp version and I effing love it. Goes like stink and has managed near constant 40mpg on any type of drive. Engine is bulletproof.
Then there is the 175bhp version but they say the driveshafts are cheese.
If you are considering the 159 2.4 then remember to go for the 210bhp version and not the 200 as the 210 is more reliable
AO Silver Member

Garage
..and then remap it!
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
World of possibilities, remove the egr and dpf, remap... then if your flush, upgrade the turbo/fuel pump and injectors... I'd say you'd get it to the 300bhp mark then
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
World of possibilities, remove the egr and dpf, remap... then if your flush, upgrade the turbo/fuel pump and injectors... I'd say you'd get it to the 300bhp mark then
At hitting 300bhp you'd be looking at getting an uprated twin plate clutch... it would be a mega quick car.

I think an uprated turbo would do the car a world of good. I find the turbo spool quite lax.

My dad's remap on the 159 Ti 1.9 is just shy of 200bhp. (Up from 150). There is such a surge of torque, it's amazing. I love watching the turbo bar gauge in the centre console, it has to be my favourite instrument on the display. Brembos are a must if you are tweaking the output up!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , alfa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page