How do 156's fair on bad Irish roads ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 26-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
How do 156's fair on bad Irish roads ?

Hi all

I was set on bringing in a 156 Jtd sportswagon from the Uk but my mechanic has strongly advised against it on reliability grounds, saying it will start to rattle very quickly on the bad roads here in west cork and go through suspension parts at a high rate.

Am trying not to be put off !

What are your experiences ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

IMHO, it has more to do with the care you take whilst driving than the state of the roads.
the only really damage I've done to my alias was hitting a pothole at speed (dual carriageway). So take it handy and your car will be fine... You mechanic doesn't give good advice... Is he assuming all other cars are built with superior suspension?

most of these parts are made in the same factory...
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
Suspension wear is faster on the 156 than many of its peers, so it's not terrible advice. Everybody else on here in the UK & Ireland has a similar problem though, more or less, so decide whether it's an acceptable cost.
AO Member

you will need to see the country roads he is talking about...
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Driven various 156's around Ireland many times without any problem. Yes, some of the roads are awful but so are many in UK
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 26-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank's for the replies :

trashabat it seems the 2.4's being heavier are more prone to suspension wear - I'm looking at 1.9 16v which I guess would be better, however I also read somewhere here that the newer facelift 03 on cars are not built as well...
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 26-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Bobdonny I see you're in Cork - I'm down in Schull where I suspect things are a little rougher, how was your 156 SW on suspension wear was it a 5 pot ?
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleM View Post
Thank's for the replies :

trashabat it seems the 2.4's being heavier are more prone to suspension wear - I'm looking at 1.9 16v which I guess would be better, however I also read somewhere here that the newer facelift 03 on cars are not built as well...
Weight will be a factor, but they are all similar. It comes at least in part from having double wishbone at the front, whilst most of its peers probably had MacPherson struts. DW is more complicated, more fragile, more expensive, although there are obviously benefits too!
AO Member

County: Kildare
17 inch rims dont help, suspension wear seems greater with these. Ran a 1.8 pre facelift on 16's and never had a problem.
AO Member

I do a lot of freediving in west cork and have been down that way many a times in my SW.
Like I say, if your careful it should be fine.
(Post Link) post #11 of 18 Old 26-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

do a lot of freediving in west cork and have been down that way many a times in my SW.

Appreciated bobdonny which version do you have ?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleM View Post
do a lot of freediving in west cork and have been down that way many a times in my SW.

Appreciated bobdonny which version do you have ?
I had a 1.6l
AO Member

County: Meath
Also have a 1.6 and yes have gone through suspension parts...bushings changed every year, if not 6 months at times... weak spot with that car....parts arent expensive but labour costs are the issue unless you can DIY......mainly thanks to roads in Meath....just part of the course living here...
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 29-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank's all I'm no stranger to bushes going having run BMW's but they are a but easier to change. Anyway at this point I'm going ahead with the hunt. The feedback is telling me 2.4 10v with a map is the way to go - just wish they weren't €300 more to tax !
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage
I dont have the data to hand, but the most common failure in NCT (for all cars in Ireland) was the front suspension.
The RSA suggest for people to check their suspension more often.

HOW ABOUT FIXING THE BLOODY ROADS!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

It's not the roads, it's the drivers. Most cars in this country never see rural roads; the damage is caused by sloppy driving in towns. There's a speedbump outside my house that some drivers think they can go right over at 50km/h. Keep doing that every day, and you'll knacker your front shocks no matter how the road is surfaced.

On the OP, all the suspension bushes in Alfas are prone to wear, not just the front - putting in polyurethane bushes instead of the rubber ones will stop the wear, but your spine won't thank you if you're driving around West Cork.

I fitted Koni FSD shocks to my 147 years ago, and they helped the ride (it's firmer, but less bumpy), and I do think they've reduced the wear on the bushes and other suspension parts (90,000km and still on the original bushes). They're pricey, though, and I don't know if they'd be worth it on a second-hand car. If I were doing it again, I'd probably swap the springs too, but at the time I just couldn't find springs that wouldn't lower the car, or make the suspension stiffer again.

The big cost with the 156/147/GT is the front anti-roll bar, which is an absolute ***** to replace, requiring a disassembly of the front of the car. The part is only about €100, but there's three to four hours of labour in changing it. Sympton is a rattle from both sides when going over bumps. Upper wishbones are cheap enough to fix (about €150 each at a dealer, cheaper at an independent), lower ones less so. Wishbone problems manifest as a squeak over speedbumps and suchlike. Rear suspension is generally okay, but the bushes go there too.
AO Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 Sportswagon

I found that after fitting strut braces my 1.6 sw suffered pot holes much less!
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 06-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks again for all the advice - I'm searching for a 1.9 JTD 16v multijet 150 sportwagon with leather and a decent history, not many around even in the UK !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , bad , fair , irish , roads

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page