Battery needed for 156 - any recommendations on best price in Dublin? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 09-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Battery needed for 156 - any recommendations on best price in Dublin?

Hi fellas, as it says on the tin.

I've had to get jump starts twice in the last few days as my battery seems to be dying out.
I have the car (156) a year since importing it and never had an issue, she's always a first time starter.

I think I need to replace the battery. Think I paid about 70 quid for a powerful battery in my last car so was wondering if any of you good folk could recommend anywhere I could pick one up a bit cheaper.
I'm based on the southside of Dublin close to Kimmage/Rathmines/Harolds Cross areas.

Appreciate any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoPhil View Post
Hi fellas, as it says on the tin.

I've had to get jump starts twice in the last few days as my battery seems to be dying out.
I have the car (156) a year since importing it and never had an issue, she's always a first time starter.

I think I need to replace the battery. Think I paid about 70 quid for a powerful battery in my last car so was wondering if any of you good folk could recommend anywhere I could pick one up a bit cheaper.
I'm based on the southside of Dublin close to Kimmage/Rathmines/Harolds Cross areas.

Appreciate any advice.
If you're buying a battery:
Go to this place: City Auto Components MOTOR FACTORS
Ask for Brendan and say Rory McDonald sent you....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
If you're buying a battery:
Go to this place: City Auto Components MOTOR FACTORS
Ask for Brendan and say Rory McDonald sent you....
I might use that line too ha!
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Battery needed for 156 - any recommendations on best price in Dublin?

Reminds me of a trick we used to play on a work night out when there was a tab and we would tell any latecomers that you have to say "the owl flies east in the Autumn" to the barman to get the fee booze!
The puzzled look on those barmen's faces!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
I might use that line too ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
Reminds me of a trick we used to play on a work night out when there was a tab and we would tell any latecomers that you have to say "the owl flies east in the Autumn" to the barman to get the fee booze!
The puzzled look on those barmen's faces!
Right Curly and Moe, who's playing Larry?
That's a genuine tip....
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 09-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the help folks.Feel a bit awkward dropping names of people I don't know but if they have affordable batteries I'm quite happy.

Any ideas on what I can expect to pay folks?

The 156 battery doesn't look the easiest to remove, is there anything tricky to it?

I changed the battery in my last car, a Saab but there appears to be some additional connections on top of the battery in the Alfa.

Last edited by RomeoPhil; 09-04-13 at 21:18.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Thanks for the help folks.Feel a bit awkward dropping names of people I don't know but if they have affordable batteries I'm quite happy.

Any ideas on what I can expect to pay folks?

The 156 battery doesn't look the easiest to remove, is there anything tricky to it?

I changed the battery in my last car, a Saab but there appears to be some additional connections on top of the battery in the Alfa.
Please do keep us posted as I think I'll need to change the battery in mine at the end of the 'summer.'
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 15-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Please do keep us posted as I think I'll need to change the battery in mine at the end of the 'summer.'
Update time:

Went to City Auto Components as kindly posted above.

Can't think of the brand just now as I'm at work, I didn't name drop, feel a bit odd doing
that but the chap behind the counter was very helpful.

I picked up a new 72AH battery, which was stronger than the one which had died (66AH)
for 79 euro.

Replacing it:

I have a 156 JTD Multijet Diesel and the engine cover is a pain in the arse because it limits the access to the battery.

The tricky bit is opening the battery strap which is tightened with one single nut which you will need a 13mm socket to open but you will also need a long ratchet arm to get to it so you can open it and be careful because it's very easy to drop both the nut and/or the socket when you get it off.

After that it's very easy, a similiar size spanner will open the terminal connectors and after that Robert is your father's brother.

Slip in the new battery and connect up.

It took me about 20 mins because it's hard to get your hands into the small spaces the Alfa guys have supplied but it could probably be done quicker.

All done now anyway and she's starting like a dream.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Update time:

Went to City Auto Components as kindly posted above.

Can't think of the brand just now as I'm at work, I didn't name drop, feel a bit odd doing
that but the chap behind the counter was very helpful.

I picked up a new 72AH battery, which was stronger than the one which had died (66AH)
for 79 euro.

Replacing it:

I have a 156 JTD Multijet Diesel and the engine cover is a pain in the arse because it limits the access to the battery.

The tricky bit is opening the battery strap which is tightened with one single nut which you will need a 13mm socket to open but you will also need a long ratchet arm to get to it so you can open it and be careful because it's very easy to drop both the nut and/or the socket when you get it off.

After that it's very easy, a similiar size spanner will open the terminal connectors and after that Robert is your father's brother.

Slip in the new battery and connect up.

It took me about 20 mins because it's hard to get your hands into the small spaces the Alfa guys have supplied but it could probably be done quicker.

All done now anyway and she's starting like a dream.
Great stuff!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , battery , dublin , needed , price , recommendations

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page