Not so Good Friday - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 31-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
Not so Good Friday

I was out in my 166 on Friday when all of a sudden the oil pressure light came on.......Not good! I killed the engine and pulled in to find oil pouring from the sump. Turned out the sump plug didn't like being there and decided it was off. Got the car towed home and replaced the oil, filter and sump plug and prayed. No joy The engine is fupped! Not quiet a bag of spanners but a distinctive knocking sound. Really gutted.

Not sure where to go from here. The options I see it is either to replace the engine etc or scrap it. Would hate to see it go but dont think I can justify a new engine.

Am I missing a magic fix or am I doomed to say goodbye to the 166?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Ah gutted for you. I can't be of much help re alternatives but maybe it would be worth stripping the engine down to find out how bad the damage is before making your decision?

County: Cork
Garage
Not a Good Friday indeed, sorry to hear that
Jim33

You say it's knocking? Is it top or bottom? The reason I ask it that it may shells in the crank gone and if so not too bad to replace. Open to correction on this as I'm not too familiar with the TS engine.

It would certainly be cheaper than a new engine and can be done without taking the whole thing out...

mo4
AO Member

County: -
Sorry to here about the engine Johnniep.
Of all the 2.0L ts engines I've had I always felt that was the fastest strongest of them all. Hope you enjoyed the car since you've had it at least.

Unfortunately I would say you'd be wasting your time trying to fix it. The oil light comes on at 0.3 bar, so by the time you see that it's already too late. There will be wear in the bearings and the head.

As mentioned you could try replacing the big end shells, although in my experience they'll just go again. It depends on whether it has spun a shell or not. If the shells are just worn then replace them and hope there is no wear in the head.
If the shells have spun in the caps then forget it. The only way to tell is to take the sump off and have a look.

I'd be having a chat with whoever changed your oil as well!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Sorry to hear that lad!
I'm guessing you changed the oil last?
rhett71

Been there done that! On a 1500cc simca engine, changed the shells thought I'd fixed it and then when I put some load on the whole thing went wrong. You will need to look at a crank regrind and oversized shells. Depend on what your bella is worth to you?

(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 02-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
I'd be having a chat with whoever changed your oil as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I'm guessing you changed the oil last?
As Mufasa said, it was me. I did an oil change about 6 months ago and torqued up the sump plug but still.....

I think the best option would be to find another 166 and use the current car as a donor for any good bits, which there are alot.

If anyone knows of a clean 166 out there for sale, please let me know!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniep View Post
As Mufasa said, it was me. I did an oil change about 6 months ago and torqued up the sump plug but still.....

I think the best option would be to find another 166 and use the current car as a donor for any good bits, which there are alot.

Given what they are going for probably your best option.
Wasn't having a crack at you re doing the oil yourself-I know you're handy with the spanners.
They are such a big sump plug never thought I'd hear of one coming off.
All the best with whatever you are doing next....
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 02-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

No offence taken at all Rory. I know I should have checked and checked again.
AO Member

johnniep

Sorry to hear that its a disaster. There is no point in fixing the engine unless you have loads of money and a garage. It's def easier to swap the engine from another 166 or just buy one from autolusso, they always have some in stock its about 1000e including shipment. You can always look around for one in Ireland.

I had the same problem with my car and as you know I bought another 166

If you need help and some space to swap engine, you can do it on my yard, no problem! I can give you a hand swapping the engine.

I think I saw a 166 for 500e on donedeal. If the engine is perfect its worth buying and sell all the other bits and pieces.
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
........ should have checked and checked again.
Well tbh I've never gone back and rechecked the sump nut on any car I've serviced. There should be no reason for it to unwind itself unless something unusual has happened. I wonder did it get a knock from a speed ramp or something?
Check closely for cracks around the sump plug - you'll have to look very closely and a crack may only be visible when the sump plug is in (due to it stretching the plug hole). Somethng like this may cause it to loosen over time.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
Well tbh I've never gone back and rechecked the sump nut on any car I've serviced. There should be no reason for it to unwind itself unless something unusual has happened. I wonder did it get a knock from a speed ramp or something?
Check closely for cracks around the sump plug - you'll have to look very closely and a crack may only be visible when the sump plug is in (due to it stretching the plug hole). Somethng like this may cause it to loosen over time.
Kinda what I was getting at Morgan, very unusual.
Or some wrecker loosening it on you....(If you don't have the tray attached).
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:

I do believe my old one will be up for sale soon. I sold it to the guy I bought it off, so I know its been well looked after.
Give me a shout if you want his number..
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 04-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
I do believe my old one will be up for sale soon. I sold it to the guy I bought it off, so I know its been well looked after.
Give me a shout if you want his number..
That would be great George, thanks!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
friday , good

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page