1996 GTV 2.0 TB being given away for free - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 24-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

1996 GTV 2.0 TB being given away for free

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056905898

This might be of interest to somebody on here.

The car is in the Canary Islands though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Just commented on it there.
There was a fella on here called seanobs that had a similar one, could even be the same given their rarity especially if the free one is RHD.
IIRC seanobs sold his for about 1k when twinny GTVs were still going for about 4 or 5 k.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 25-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

The owner has sent me some pictures of the car itself and also a youtube video- where you can hear the car running. Appeared to have a bit of an overheat. It does look like a lot of work but I think it would be quite a rewarding project if somebody had the space, time and money.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
The owner has sent me some pictures of the car itself and also a youtube video- where you can hear the car running. Appeared to have a bit of an overheat. It does look like a lot of work but I think it would be quite a rewarding project if somebody had the space, time and money.
Have you got a link to the YouTube?
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 25-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
Have you got a link to the YouTube?
Yes I do. Will post it later tonight as youtube is blocked here at work.
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 25-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Here are 2 youtube videos:

http://youtu.be/ZPxKlTIpgLg

Alfa GTV 2.0 TB V6 camshaft noise and overheating 2 - YouTube

Here is the e-mail text from Barry- he has given me permission to put this info up here:

"It is a left hand drive, I'm not sure if the 2.0 TB model was ever made in RHD, given that its sole original purpose was to defeat the taxman in Italy? Although I read somewhere that there were ten of them made for the UK market by special order.
I have two videos of the car before work started on the engine, here and here. You can clearly hear the camshaft wear, (there are two good secondhand shafts inside the car waiting to be fitted)
I would love for the car to come to ireland, and have an enthusiast work on her and restore her to her former glory. As i said in the forum, I myself dont have the time nor the space to carry out the work. It should have been a straightforward job to swap out the camshafts but we ran into complications, As you have an Alfa, you know what im talking about!
The engine has to be dropped in order to remove the shafts, which seriously complicated things for me when I attempted to do it, as i said, i ran out of time in Spain.
You have my full permission to post on Alfaowner and share photos if you so wish, (im a member there myself actually) I dont have that many pictures, but the car is straight all round with the exception of a bit of peeling laquer on the roof gutters. The engine work stopped more or less where it can seen in the photos. As i say, all parts are inside the car/boot and all that would be needed are some gaskets.
The wheels are not the ones that will be given with the car, It has the original phone dial wheels. There is a red and black momo steering wheel, brand new literally with the leather tag hanging from it, between the wheel and coupler, theres around 400€ worth. As i said aswell in the forum, there are many momo accesories on her, shifter, pedals etc.

Any questions ill be happy to log onto alfaowner and sort out what i can!"
AO Silver Member

Garage
If it could drive, even "sort of" drive, I would be all over it.
Sadly getting it home could 1000 euro.

I got a quote of transporting a car from Barcelona to Dublin once, it was 900 euro.
AO Member

County: Las Palmas

Member car:

gtv v6 2.0 tb

Hi Guys,
Im the owner of the GTV, I suppose I should have posted my offer here myself but thanks to Michael for starting the ball rolling! Any questions ill be happy to answer them , And yes cannotstop, It would cost in the region of 900 - 1000€ to ship her over to Ireland, only other possibly cheaper and slightly more economical option would be to load her on a car trailer/transporter thingy, ferry to mainland Spain, and drive her to the UK via the tunnel. Might not be that much cheaper but according to Jeremy Clarkson, its great fun altogether!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryo2002 View Post
Hi Guys,
Im the owner of the GTV, I suppose I should have posted my offer here myself but thanks to Michael for starting the ball rolling! Any questions ill be happy to answer them , And yes cannotstop, It would cost in the region of 900 - 1000 to ship her over to Ireland, only other possibly cheaper and slightly more economical option would be to load her on a car trailer/transporter thingy, ferry to mainland Spain, and drive her to the UK via the tunnel. Might not be that much cheaper but according to Jeremy Clarkson, its great fun altogether!
So Barry what you're saying is Cannotstop has talked himself into a new car!!!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryo2002 View Post
Hi Guys,
Im the owner of the GTV, I suppose I should have posted my offer here myself but thanks to Michael for starting the ball rolling! Any questions ill be happy to answer them , And yes cannotstop, It would cost in the region of 900 - 1000 to ship her over to Ireland, only other possibly cheaper and slightly more economical option would be to load her on a car trailer/transporter thingy, ferry to mainland Spain, and drive her to the UK via the tunnel. Might not be that much cheaper but according to Jeremy Clarkson, its great fun altogether!
Fair play to you for being so honest about the issues! A few pics of the car and its strong points would possibly be good
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
Lets see here. The car would be shipped presumably to Rosslare from the Canaries for roughly 1k and then of course trailered to wherever in the country. The work on the car I'd imagine would be in the region of another grand?? So lets say 2k for the whole car including shipping.... its still a bargain I think hmm
Also you get to go to the Canaries which is never a bad thing
I think the best thing to do here is post some pics up
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
Here are 2 youtube videos:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TB V6 camshaft noise and overheating - YouTube

Alfa GTV 2.0 TB V6 camshaft noise and overheating 2 - YouTube

Here is the e-mail text from Barry- he has given me permission to put this info up here:

"It is a left hand drive, I'm not sure if the 2.0 TB model was ever made in RHD, given that its sole original purpose was to defeat the taxman in Italy? Although I read somewhere that there were ten of them made for the UK market by special order.
I have two videos of the car before work started on the engine, here and here. You can clearly hear the camshaft wear, (there are two good secondhand shafts inside the car waiting to be fitted)
I would love for the car to come to ireland, and have an enthusiast work on her and restore her to her former glory. As i said in the forum, I myself dont have the time nor the space to carry out the work. It should have been a straightforward job to swap out the camshafts but we ran into complications, As you have an Alfa, you know what im talking about!
The engine has to be dropped in order to remove the shafts, which seriously complicated things for me when I attempted to do it, as i said, i ran out of time in Spain.
You have my full permission to post on Alfaowner and share photos if you so wish, (im a member there myself actually) I dont have that many pictures, but the car is straight all round with the exception of a bit of peeling laquer on the roof gutters. The engine work stopped more or less where it can seen in the photos. As i say, all parts are inside the car/boot and all that would be needed are some gaskets.
The wheels are not the ones that will be given with the car, It has the original phone dial wheels. There is a red and black momo steering wheel, brand new literally with the leather tag hanging from it, between the wheel and coupler, theres around 400 worth. As i said aswell in the forum, there are many momo accesories on her, shifter, pedals etc.

Any questions ill be happy to log onto alfaowner and sort out what i can!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Lets see here. The car would be shipped presumably to Rosslare from the Canaries for roughly 1k and then of course trailered to wherever in the country. The work on the car I'd imagine would be in the region of another grand?? So lets say 2k for the whole car including shipping.... its still a bargain I think hmm
Also you get to go to the Canaries which is never a bad thing
I think the best thing to do here is post some pics up
Kev you need to pat attention in class, stop faffing and just do it!!!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Kev you need to pat attention in class, stop faffing and just do it!!!
Fancy sponsoring my flights to/from the Canaries? I'll bring ya a nice turbo'd engine to play around in
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Love to and all that Kev but ain't got the money!
Just don't replace your cheesy front suspension this year and you'll free up the budget...
Oh wait a minute the jtd is on sabbatical...bugger
AO Silver Member

Her holiday is almost over, id say end of may until she is back on the road. Volvo goes in for a new clutch thursday!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Her holiday is almost over, id say end of may until she is back on the road. Volvo goes in for a new clutch thursday!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
1996 , free , gtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page