Alfa Ireland: No longer selling petrol models - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 24-01-13 Thread Starter

County: Dublin

Member car:

Honda Civic

Alfa Ireland: No longer selling petrol models

Heya folks,

I was on the phone there to an Alfa Romeo garage a few weeks ago and the sales guy told me something pretty shocking: Alfa Romeo Ireland are, from 2013, no longer selling petrol models in the country, only Diesel, in an effort to only sell cars that are all in tax band A.

Now the guy on the phone was a hell of a nice fella and told me he wasn't happy with the idea himself. I told an Alfa owner who works in my office and his reaction was slightly more violent He's a long-time convert though so I can definitely see his point of view. The sales guy said the market here is pretty small which is the reason for the decision. But that said, would many Alfa fans want a diesel? Does it make a difference nowadays?

On another note he told me that the Giulietta Sportiva trim line will be available here from the middle of 2013, and the TCT gearbox as an option too (Yes I'm thinking of buying but that's only because I haven't seen the price list yet ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Thanks for the update.
Seems incredible alright.
The TCT has been very well received by any of the motoring press I've read....
AO Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraib View Post
Heya folks,

I was on the phone there to an Alfa Romeo garage a few weeks ago and the sales guy told me something pretty shocking: Alfa Romeo Ireland are, from 2013, no longer selling petrol models in the country, only Diesel, in an effort to only sell cars that are all in tax band A.

Now the guy on the phone was a hell of a nice fella and told me he wasn't happy with the idea himself. I told an Alfa owner who works in my office and his reaction was slightly more violent He's a long-time convert though so I can definitely see his point of view. The sales guy said the market here is pretty small which is the reason for the decision. But that said, would many Alfa fans want a diesel? Does it make a difference nowadays?

On another note he told me that the Giulietta Sportiva trim line will be available here from the middle of 2013, and the TCT gearbox as an option too (Yes I'm thinking of buying but that's only because I haven't seen the price list yet ).
Was your friend planning on buying a petrol engined Alfa ? I think you'll find that if he was, Fiat (there is, in reality no Alfa Ireland) would glady bite his arm off to ensure a sale.
There is little point in stocking something that nobody wants.
AO Member

Member car:

146 1.4

Diesel 4C then? haha
AO Member

County: Clare
Quote:
Originally Posted by peadar View Post
Diesel 4C then? haha
hahaha.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

That would be shocking!

Terrible news about the diesel only story, I thought most of the lower powered 1.4L units were in the lower tax bands. Why have engines available an not use them? Surely they would still do a factory order if you spec'd a peril engine?
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 25-01-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarlb View Post
Was your friend planning on buying a petrol engined Alfa ? I think you'll find that if he was, Fiat (there is, in reality no Alfa Ireland) would glady bite his arm off to ensure a sale.
There is little point in stocking something that nobody wants.
Oh no, it's me looking for the car and not a friend!

The did say he could try and get me a car through England, so while the 'official' story is that they don't stock the petrols anymore it might be possible to get one ordered in. I don't suppose you'd really know until you were seriously buying one.
AO Member

County: Tipperary
That is shocking. I'm also having a violent reaction!! Terrible terrible news.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
I'd go as far as to say "Its nonsense".. The customer will always get what they want. The fact is, there is no "stock" of Alfas sitting on these shores, nor will there ever be.

Any one who buys a new Alfa will have to wait for it to come direct from the factory. So, you can order what you please, and it will be delivered.
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
I'd go as far as to say "Its nonsense".. The customer will always get what they want. The fact is, there is no "stock" of Alfas sitting on these shores, nor will there ever be.

Any one who buys a new Alfa will have to wait for it to come direct from the factory. So, you can order what you please, and it will be delivered.
Obviously no-one read my post.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
TCT, I'll believe it when I see it. I gave up asking about this last year, and resigned myself to getting a car ordered in from the UK...

So, I guess the "range" will be:

1.6 JTDm2 105 CV (115g CO2)
2.0 JTDm2 140 CV (119g CO2)
2.0 JTDm2 170 CV (119g CO2)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , ireland , longer , models , petrol , selling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page