ALFA 159 2.4 jdtm TI "To buy or not to buy" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 19-01-13 Thread Starter

County: Limerick
ALFA 159 2.4 jdtm TI "To buy or not to buy"

Hi everyone,

I am looking to join the Alfa club and this is my first post.

I am eyeing up an ALFA 159 2.4 jdtm TI and need to make a decision by Tuesday whether to buy or not.

I know it will be expensive to run. I am moving up from a 2009 toyota corolla 1.4 petrol.

Going by the MPG on Parkers.co.uk i will be spending the same amount on Diesel per week as I did on petrol with my Toyota. Approx 70eur so no saving there.

It has a full Alfa dealer service history. 83k miles.

I am not buying this car with the intention of getting a more economical car but I would like to get some friendly advice/reassurance that it will be worth buying!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Welcome to the site rororo, you may need to look elsewhere though if you want to be discouraged from buying an Alfa though!!

There is a tech lounge for the 159 and I am sure there is a thread in there for things to look out for when buying. I know there were some 159's that had steering rack issues that were fixed under warranty but I am not sure if it applied to all models.
If you do take the plunge you will be well rewarded though, the 2.4 engine is really sweet and the 159 especially in Ti spec really is a thing of beauty

Like AO - RoI on Facebook AO - RoI Facebook Group

Subscribe to AO - RoI on YouTube AO RoI YouTube

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cogito ergo sumo Alfa

County: Cork
Garage
Welcome to AO rororo

I presume this is the one ALFA 159 2.4 jdtm TI for sale in Dublin : €14,750 - DoneDeal.ie It looks great

The 159 Tech Lounge is an excellent resource & there's plenty of useful info there about all things 159 related Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum

As for common issues, the steering rack seems to be an issue & it's something to look out for as it can be an expensive fix.

Also tyre wear is an issue but mostly on the 18" & 19" tyres (usually due to the outdated incorrect tracking setting being used) More info here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...he-159-ti.html

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

Nice machine. I put up a link on the for sale section when that first went up on donedeal.

I would assume insurance and tax costs will be more expensive compared to your corolla but the 159 is a far more exciting car.
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 19-01-13 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys.

@GTV Gav - I will have a good read of those tonight and get fully educated!

@DaveP that's the very one. I was not looking to buy a new car for another 3 months but the second I saw it, I had to have it. Would the timing belt need to be done soon as it is on the 89k miles mark.

I will check with the seller on the steering rack issues, I presume that should be noted in the book if it was done through a dealer. Tax looks to be around the 700euro mark. I am justifying all this expense to my self as now is the time for me to own a car like this. Luckily I have no massive monthly bills and great job to fund it.

I need to check out my insurance on Monday, I am only 23 so I think I should brace myself for the quote I get.

Garage
According to the Owners Manual the timing belt is scheduled to be done at 140k Km or 5 year ( 4 years under certain conditions)

The Owner's Manual is available to view or download here http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/home.aspx if you want a look.
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 19-01-13 Thread Starter

Alfa 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
According to the Owners Manual the timing belt is scheduled to be done at 140k Km or 5 year ( 4 years under certain conditions)

The Owner's Manual is available to view or download here http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/home.aspx if you want a look.
Thanks, i will be well armed with the right questions when I go to see the car!...

Garage
Let us know how you get on & good luck with your insurance quote.
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 20-01-13 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Let us know how you get on & good luck with your insurance quote.
Thanks Dave,

Could I ask one more question. Has anyone ever had trouble selling on Alfas privately on Donedeal Etc. Just wondering would it be left up on those websites far a long time before I would get a biter compared to other cars.

Thanks folks!
AO Silver Member

County: -
Have you seen the Ti for sale by Lebowski on the N ireland forum? Less miles and up for 7995. It looks like a nice car. Maybe the VRT/hassle makes buying in NI/UK not a viable option.
AO Member

County: Donegal

Member car:

GT Blackline

Lebowski's is a 2007 car, which will absolutely rape him on tax and be much harder to sell in the future. A post 08 car will be almost €300 cheaper per annum
AO Silver Member

County: -
Ah, learn something everyday
AO Member

I think that the 2.4 JTDM or the 1750 TBI are the only 159s to buy, and only in Ti trim. I have a 2.4 156 and the engine is so strong.
AO Member

County: Meath
I would add the 2.0jdtm to that list Dublinsean. I have mine a year now and have done 20k without missing a beat.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
...and the 3.2 V6 4wd with the Integrale derived running gear and the sweeeeet V6!

I think what you meant was 'don't for pities sake buy a four pot JTS'.

Nick
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

I guess you didn't buy it OP? Still for sale..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , alfa , jdtm , to buy or not to buy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page