Well, where to start;
I got my fist 166 in May this year. Beautiful 166 caught my eye after selling my Mondeo ST200 Without thinking to much I decided to buy it. Was a bit surprised how it handles when I first drove 166, a bit to soft for me. Any way I honestly thought it is a good car and will serve me for next year or two. I was so wrong! After 3 weeks of driving, on some nice sunny day I decided to change the oil. It went fine till another 5 days later on the road for some shopping my oil light flashed me into to my eyes when cornering. Stopped the car completely and ran for the oil to the nearest garage. It actually took me about 3 trips to a garage and 3l of oil !!! since then I only had problems. Car started drinking oil like crazy! 1l every 300 miles! That was a lot. It was not the end of my problems as I decided to take the car for suspension checking, shocks, springs, bushings...disaster - shocks 20% all bushings gone! front and back , completely wrecked! When I was buying a car it had the NCT done 3 days before so I was pretty sure its going to be all right. Unfortunately the car was a complete wreck not worth a penny. I needed it for my trip to Europe so packed about 20l of oil into the boot and off we go
5000km later and 20l of oil less I got back to Ireland with no hassle...well back tail lights stopped working! It was to much for me! I decided to either fix it or scrap it ! I was just looking for an engine, even decided to take one at some stage but then...I found another 166 with 78000 miles, dirty as hell inside! with some minor faults and not so good suspension. Apart from that the car was 1/3 price what I have paid for my previous one with half a milage and better mechanical condition. Again without thinking to much I bought the car. Next day I already knew that swapping the engine to mine and fixing a suspension would only cause more problems. So decided to put this new blueish 166 back on the road and scrap my silver 166. The only problem was to collect all the parts needed for the whole operation. It took me a while but the car is drivable already. The project is not finally over. There are sill few bits and pieces to be done but nothing major. Here is the list to what was done till now and what has to be done whit next few weeks. Ill try to make it short.
1. Interior all out and cleaned including floor and back shelf
2. Door lock changed
3. ICS changed for the one with code
4. New auto dimming mirror
5. Broken door card changed on drivers side
6. Back suspension - both sides
- New PU bushings for wishbones
- New Springs - 35mm
- New Shocks Bilstein B6
- Crossover bushing ( Merc one ) done
- New stabilizer links
- PU bushings for the other stabilizer links
- Anti rolbar link bushings
7. Front Suspension - Both sides
- New lower wishbones ( no PU bushings here available )
- New upper wishbones
- Shocks B6 and Springs -40mm
- New stabilizer links
- New bushings for that big stabilizer
- New Brake Brembo 4 pot Calipers
- New 310mm discs
- Pads where used ones but in a perfect condition - They need to be changed later
8. Rocker cover gasket changed
9. New air filter
10. New 10W40 quantum oil and filter
11. New cabin filter
12. New genuine heater matrix
13. Gear selector mechanism had to be cleaned
14. Tie Rods, Tie Rods End x2
14. Other things I don't remember at the moment
TO BE DONE:
1. New tyres for my 18in ATS wheels
2. Zender kit has to be painted - Any one ? I'm Open for offers ! Front and Back, whole bumpers plus side skirts.
3. Timing belt has to be done - With some help of JOHNNIEP ! I hope so
4. New spark plugs - No misfire at the moment but I'd like to have them new in some time
5. 3 brake light - I have new one already, needs to be fitted.
6. HID kit to be fitted - Have one as well
7. Other minor things
8. NCT !!!!!
9. Front ALFA badge has to be changed - Have one already
SOME PICTURES !!!
Few included but I can only add 6 so the rest you can find here !
Whole gallery Postimage.org / gallery - 1, 1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336aa4ed5d03d9e76ab, 1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263368fab4d904e5f9967
1. HID is on
2. 3rd Brake light is done
Im looking for a rain/light sensor as mine is gone unfortunately.