156 engine oil top up - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Longford
156 engine oil top up

Here's a question for you guys more mechanically minded than my good self! I do a weekly check on the fluid levels on my 156, & at some stage it will need to be topped up with oil as if i'm right in thinking tspark engines rather like their oil! However i don't know what grade of oil is currently in the car, be it fully syn or part syn, so how should i approach this?

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
Here's a question for you guys more mechanically minded than my good self! I do a weekly check on the fluid levels on my 156, & at some stage it will need to be topped up with oil as if i'm right in thinking tspark engines rather like their oil! However i don't know what grade of oil is currently in the car, be it fully syn or part syn, so how should i approach this?

cheers!
10w40 is most common I think? (Semi-synthetic)

County: Cork
Garage
If you don't know what oil was used previously & you are due an oil change in the not too distant future maybe do an earlier oil change, also some TS engines don't drink any oil at all so you might not even need to top up before your next oil change.

If you've any oil based questions ask the oil experts here : https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...d-answers.html
They are very helpful & usually respond quickly
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
I usually ask for an extra 1 or 2 litre bottle of the same oil they used at the service. It was useful for the Focus, however I still have the original can of Selenia special I got from Gerry 5 years ago unopened...
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Great link David, very very helpful, & the guys were super quick with their advice, so i'm gonna get me some 5w-40!

Hey lads been ages since i looked on the forums but i still remember about it ;p
The car ran on 10w40 Toby and i know that as i was the previous owner of this bella.
If u need any info about it give ask here or pm me(if it works here i dont know ;p) and i`ll try to answer all your questions if i can.
Regards Matt
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 13-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

cheers Matt. Its a damn good car alright,obviously @ 9 years old some stuff needs to be done to it - wipers only work on one setting & defo one of the corners is knocking so I'll have to get the suspension looked at, but for what i paid for it i can't complain!

Ye its a lovely motor to drive as for the wipers i think e motor need to be sorted as thats where the problem lies. Have a look at the door locks on both sides as the were not working for me when triedto use key to open. Never had time to sort it out but but u may want to do it for the futire in case battery dies and u wont be able to get inside hehe. Regards matt
AO Member

10w40 Fully syn is what Alfa Romeo themselves recommend

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , engine , oil , top

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page