Alfa Giulietta - Engine Choice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 09-10-12 Thread Starter

County: Dublin

Member car:

Honda Civic

Alfa Giulietta - Engine Choice

Howdy folks,

First post from me, I was fairly delighted to find an Ireland Alfa Romeo forum online to be honest!

So I currently drive a fairly normal Honda Civic and I want to upgrade to a Giulietta in the next few months (Money being what it is it'll likely be around January) and I had two questions:
  • I'm not sure of the engine choice. Either the 1.4 MultiAir Or the 2.0 Diesel. Both have 170Bhp but the diesel looks more economical on paper. I'm worried that the diesel might sound and perform like a tractor though. Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • Can anyone recommend a good Alfa dealer around Dublin or nearby? I went to one a while back to take a close look at the car but yer man's attitude nearly put me off the concept entirely.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

The 140 diesel is even more economical, a mere 1 second slower 0-62 mph than the 170 and has the same torque.

County: Cork
Garage
Welcome to AO & to the Irish Section Scraib

Check out the Giulietta Tech Section Alfa Giulietta - Alfa Romeo Forum it's a wealth of information & you'll find plenty of reviews from owners of both the 170 MA & 170 diesel there ( the 140 Diesel isn't currently available in Ireland )

Good luck with your decision & let us know what you go for
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
I didn't like the small diesel... at all
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...ml#post5008647
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraib View Post
Howdy folks,

First post from me, I was fairly delighted to find an Ireland Alfa Romeo forum online to be honest!

So I currently drive a fairly normal Honda Civic and I want to upgrade to a Giulietta in the next few months (Money being what it is it'll likely be around January) and I had two questions:
  • I'm not sure of the engine choice. Either the 1.4 MultiAir Or the 2.0 Diesel. Both have 170Bhp but the diesel looks more economical on paper. I'm worried that the diesel might sound and perform like a tractor though. Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • Can anyone recommend a good Alfa dealer around Dublin or nearby? I went to one a while back to take a close look at the car but yer man's attitude nearly put me off the concept entirely.

Thanks!
Welcome to the site Scraib. As Dave said the Giulietta is provably the best place to garner opinion on the engines. As for dealerships, there are very few to choose from unfortunately, but Tractamotors seem to be ok and they usually have a few cars to choose from in the showroom.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

G MA TCT

has to be the 170 MA (pref TCT) - but I'm biased
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

i think u should head over to the lads in tractamotors in blanch, they have been doing the alfa andfiat stuff for years
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

Had the smaller diesel motor for a few days and its not a bad car, the inside just didn't do it for me, and brake travel i found it a bit far compared to the Brembo's on my Ti..

On the road I found it good on M-Ways when in dynamic mode (think that is what its called) but sounded a bit harsh when driven on even for a diesel..On the twisty stuff its not bad, but i thought it rolled a bit in corners, and the steering felt a bit vague for an Alfa Romeo.

MPG wise its fairly good, I was getting around 47-50mpg

I had a spin in the 170 JTDM as well, but it seemed no quicker than the standard one, it had leather etc, but the inside??? hmm

Best of luck...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Those were my two choices, so here's my thoughts...

This being Ireland, the 2.0 diesel will be easier to sell when you're finished with it, but that does assume that diesel and petrol prices stay the way they are, which is not guaranteed, and in any case the residual (in Euros) isn't going to be as much as the difference in purchase price. If you do the mileage (>20,000km/yr) then go for the diesel, but I wouldn't get it just because "it's more efficient".

I haven't driven the 2.0 diesel (not for want of trying, but nobody seems to have a demo car with this engine). I did drive the smaller 1.6, though: If you're really concerned about residual value and suchlike, then the 1.6 is what you should be looking at, not the 2.0. The only downside to this car is that it's a bit clattery at idle - something that I've heard said about the 2.0 too. When on the road, the engine note actually gets smoother and much less intrusive. In this, it's the exact opposite of VW's common-rail diesels.

The 1.4 MultiAir (170) is a beautiful engine, there's really nothing like it at the size. This would be my pick in a manual, without a doubt, and that's even with the current Irish anti-petrol bias.

With a TCT, my head says the diesel should be the better drive, but I haven't driven either TCT model, because there are none in Ireland, and it looks like there won't be (don't bother asking, you won't get an answer. I've been trying for a long time, and have finally given up). If you did want one, it would be possible to privately-import from the UK, and I'm sure the dealers are fed up enough with Alfa Ireland to help you do this.

(By the way, for UK-based onlookers, the QV is a non-runner here, as it's taxed out of sensibility in Ireland - €35,000 for the car, plus another €650 a year in road tax. Compare with €28000 and €160/year for the MultiAir, or €23000 and €110/year for the 1.6 diesel).

So what have I decided?

Sadly, it's "spend the money putting a kitchen in the house, and see if they facelift the Giulietta in 2014"
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
Those were my two choices, so here's my thoughts...

This being Ireland, the 2.0 diesel will be easier to sell when you're finished with it, but that does assume that diesel and petrol prices stay the way they are, which is not guaranteed, and in any case the residual (in Euros) isn't going to be as much as the difference in purchase price. If you do the mileage (>20,000km/yr) then go for the diesel, but I wouldn't get it just because "it's more efficient".

I haven't driven the 2.0 diesel (not for want of trying, but nobody seems to have a demo car with this engine). I did drive the smaller 1.6, though: If you're really concerned about residual value and suchlike, then the 1.6 is what you should be looking at, not the 2.0. The only downside to this car is that it's a bit clattery at idle - something that I've heard said about the 2.0 too. When on the road, the engine note actually gets smoother and much less intrusive. In this, it's the exact opposite of VW's common-rail diesels.

The 1.4 MultiAir (170) is a beautiful engine, there's really nothing like it at the size. This would be my pick in a manual, without a doubt, and that's even with the current Irish anti-petrol bias.

With a TCT, my head says the diesel should be the better drive, but I haven't driven either TCT model, because there are none in Ireland, and it looks like there won't be (don't bother asking, you won't get an answer. I've been trying for a long time, and have finally given up). If you did want one, it would be possible to privately-import from the UK, and I'm sure the dealers are fed up enough with Alfa Ireland to help you do this.

(By the way, for UK-based onlookers, the QV is a non-runner here, as it's taxed out of sensibility in Ireland - €35,000 for the car, plus another €650 a year in road tax. Compare with €28000 and €160/year for the MultiAir, or €23000 and €110/year for the 1.6 diesel).

So what have I decided?

Sadly, it's "spend the money putting a kitchen in the house, and see if they facelift the Giulietta in 2014"
Sorry to hear that dude! I haven't driven any of them but I do like the sound of the multi air.
It will be years before I ever consider the Giulietta....
Lower down the food chain me - but very happy!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

i got a lift from a friend in his 1.4multiair and my experience was the complete opposite of Mjets, I couldnt believe how fast it was going around roundabouts with no body roll. There were 3 of us in the car and it had ample power. Well impressed all round, couldnt fault anything. Maybe the engine note, a bit too quiet for an Alfa, then again all cars these days sound boring
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 26-10-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Honda Civic

Thanks for all the replies lads! Much appreciated!

I actually met a fella in the office here who has a 1.6 Diesel and he took me for a spin in it, as well as writing me a lenghty email on why he likes the car and what he'd change (not much!). There's definitely a particular mindset to the people who own an Alfa

Based on everything I'm hearing I think I'll go for the 1.4 Multiair. Mainly because I'm at a stage right now (No girlfriend/Fiancée/Wife or kids) when I can afford a car like that, and it sounds like the more fun & more authentic Alfa experience anyway.

I'll take a spin out to a dealer and get a pricelist from them!

One more unrelated question. If you were to see a fella with a customised license plate on the car i.e. 12-KK-ILIKESPUDS would you think 'Funny' or 'What a knob'?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

what a knob.
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Funny!
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Can you get 12-KK-L1CKM3
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

I would think a funny knob
(Post Link) post #17 of 18 Old 02-11-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Honda Civic

Hmm... it might be worth it if I have an extra... ah jaysus, €1000 euro!? Ah <insert profanity>...
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
what a knob.
Tell us how you really feel Mark!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , choice , engine , giulietta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page