Putting on an LPG installation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 23-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
Putting on an LPG installation

Hi

Just want to know guys what do you think about a LPG gas installations in cars ?

I was thinking to put one in one of my cars. I know a guy who starts doing it and have some promotional offer for first customers. Spoken to him and its seams that you can save a loads of money.

My calculation are as fallows

500km - Weekly 10L/100km - Fuel Consumption

50 x 1,7 = 85E On fuel Weekly

60 ( LPG takes more ) x 0.89 ( Finglas ) = 53E

32 Euro Saved x 4 Weeks = 128 x 12 months = 1536 E a year

A average cost of a professional and the best LPG ( witch does mapping it self while driving ) is max 1250e the cheapest is 900-1000e including labour. So 300E goes to my pocket in a first year and new 1536 in second year.

My car takes 13L in town on very short trips and 8,5 on the long trips

Some people do more that 500 a week.

What do you think ? Worth it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 28-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

No opinions ? I can get a good deal for it, maybe if I find someone else we could have it at a discounted price ?
AO Member

County: Tipperary

Member car:

166 2.5 V6

Any more details on this guy/operation ? Qualifications, registrations, experience etc. How well do you know this guy, any connections with him ?

For now, I have an interest in finding out more details.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 30-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well

He is one of the members of other Alfa Club, experienced car mechanic and has a cert. for fitting an LPG to a cars. Not my best friend but a person who I know from alfa club. Not really connected I already have a wife
AO Member

County: Kildare
VV-Tech LPG Limited - that's my friend company, I know him v well and all fitters. any questions You can call them and they will explain You everything
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Sorry to butt in here but I had a Primera converted to gas some time ago - bonus is the half price (sometimes) fuel but you lose boot space and unless you are doing a deal of distance work its will take forever to pay back, short journeys are hopeless esp in winter as the car needs to start and warm up on petrol, the gas wont kick in until the engine reaches a certain temperature. LPG is about 20% less efficient than petrol so you either use 20% more fuel or the engine loses 20% of its power: Bottom line: big engined car long journeys yes, small engined car short journeys no - best is to get one already converted and make sure it comes with a certificate otherwise your insurance will be null and void. I changed my prim for a Golf diesel and the golf cost less to run (60mpg) and does 700 miles on a tankful rather than 2 - 300 and has way more grunt. One other thing is on many cars you'll also need to fit a flashlube system otherwise the valve seats will burn out because LPG is a dry fuel and provides no lube unlike diesel and petrol
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90GT View Post
Sorry to butt in here but I had a Primera converted to gas some time ago - bonus is the half price (sometimes) fuel but you lose boot space and unless you are doing a deal of distance work its will take forever to pay back, short journeys are hopeless esp in winter as the car needs to start and warm up on petrol, the gas wont kick in until the engine reaches a certain temperature. LPG is about 20% less efficient than petrol so you either use 20% more fuel or the engine loses 20% of its power: Bottom line: big engined car long journeys yes, small engined car short journeys no - best is to get one already converted and make sure it comes with a certificate otherwise your insurance will be null and void. I changed my prim for a Golf diesel and the golf cost less to run (60mpg) and does 700 miles on a tankful rather than 2 - 300 and has way more grunt. One other thing is on many cars you'll also need to fit a flashlube system otherwise the valve seats will burn out because LPG is a dry fuel and provides no lube unlike diesel and petrol
Very helpful post Joe90!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.8 KB, 35 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Very helpful post Joe90!!!
no worries Mufasa... - forgot to add when you come to sell your LPG car you wont get more money for it - in fact it puts people off because they dont understand it, thats why its best to get one already done. If you notice on VV's website all the vehicles converted are big and thirsty which is the ones that make sense but check out how much space you lose...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
installation , lpg , putting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page