Time to sell my Brera? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 16-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tipperary
Time to sell my Brera?

Terrible news. Few things went wrong with the Brera in the last few weeks. All have been fixed bar the DMF which isn't urgent as yet. But I just cant afford to fix it. Very bad news!!
Its looking like its time to bite the bullet and say goodbye.
I'm not sure what a fair asking price is with a dodgy DMF for a 06 Brera with 120,000km?? Anyone any ideas to save it or sell it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

08 147 Monza

probably worth a lot more fixed than at present.
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

What's the cost to repairs it?
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Crap! Ouch, that's a bit of bad news... You've the 2.2 JTS don't you? Same here.. I was always wondering about the dual mass on these... so you're at 52k miles and it's in trouble.. not good, I'm only 3k miles behind you!

Do you know a non-dealer that can do the work? I was only looking at this last week and found parts as follows on the web:

SACHS - Ref: 2294 000 298 Flywheel 390.00 (ALfa P/n 71746379)
Flywheel for your ALFA ROMEO 159 2.2 JTS (185HP)

more part numbers here I found:

Manufacturer Number Description
ALFA ROMEO 71789801 Flywheel
LUK 415 0514 10 Flywheel
QUINTON HAZELL
QDF191 Flywheel
SACHS
2294 000 298 Flywheel
VALEO
836035 Flywheel

and a SACHS clutch kit- Ref: 3000 970 006 for 170.00
Clutch Kit SACHS - 3000 970 006 for your car lowest prices - Engine compartment - Clutch systems - Clutch Kit - Clutch Kit - 3000 970 006

Is that any use to you? Mind you I;m sure a friendly motor-factory dealing in might be able to improve on the prices...

Are you 100% sure is the flywheel?

If you're stuck to have the work done give me a PM and I might be able to put you in touch with someone who has done work for me in the past.

I won't post their name and number here as it's public forum and I don't have his permission etc. But I do trust him with my car!

Again sorry to hear about the costs.... if it's any consolation just going through a bit of cash at the moment with our 1.9JTDm. It always comes at the wrong time but at 106k miles I can't compain too much I guess...

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

(Post Link) post #5 of 32 Old 17-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

I know a good non dealer alright, and I trust the guy. Thanks for the offer though! I have him looking at prices at the minute. Im pretty sure it is the aul flywheel Cathal. Was showing all the symptoms so I said it to the mechanic when I was out last and he confirmed it.

Thanks for all those parts!! They will be a great help if I can figure a way of getting the money together. I would be very sorry to see her go.
AO Silver Member

Yes parts can add up. I guess it's a question of how much will it cost to replace versus how much to change etc?

Is there any way of telling if you nurse the car for a period of time will the system survive until you get the parts/funds etc? Does your mechanic think it'll last a week/month?

Can I ask a dumb question please, what are your symtoms out of interest?

EDIT: This place is a few quid cheaper...STG245 ~ €300
--> 2294 000 298

Last edited by Cathal_H; 17-09-12 at 16:03.
(Post Link) post #7 of 32 Old 18-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Oh page bookmarked. That's a bit cheaper all right. Thanks again!! Actually funny you should ask, the mechanic said this morning that if I don't go "revving the nuts off it" it could last a month. Which is definitely good news. A month is breathing space, so I'll take the chance. (and a trip to the credit union)
The symptoms are a clunky knocking in the Engine, lots of vibration, and the odd kick from the clutch when changing gears.
There are two problems with changing, it would be very hard to sell a big petrol engined car especially with a known issue, and what car would you get after that wouldn't be a let down?!
AO Silver Member

Good to hear your mechanic thinks it'll last a while... that is a good breathing space alright.
But is it a right pain to have to fork out that kind of cash just for what is basically a clutch! I guess we could kick off the 'is a DMF in a petrol car necessary' debate...

Yes trying to sell you car with a failing clutch can be a problem to the 'general public'. Personally it wouldn't bother me. A good car with a bad clutch... so what?! It's fixable. But yes, it might cost around 600 to put right, but may cost you a lot more in the selling price.. and then what do you buy? I'm not trying to convince you to keep your car by the way! Honestly...

We were talking about my wife's 159 at home during last week, there and it's up at 106k miles so we're spending a few quid to sort a few things. Most are predicable. But we were thinking do we change the car or put our one right? So we decided to keep it as sometimes the devil you know is better, and imo cheaper too!

I hope the laws of physics are kind to your clutch over the next 4 weeks and it works out well for you... keep us posted... It would be interesting too to see the old unit when it's replaced... wonder what part of it fails?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

I'm usually a glass half full sort of person but if the mechanic says a month I wouldn't push my luck! What actually happens if it goes would it cause more damage?
(Post Link) post #10 of 32 Old 19-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well Gav if it goes it wouldn't be good news at all. These things can shatter and then you have basically got shrapnel floating around your gearbox. Which you would like to avoid, putting it mildly... Hopefully it will last the month.

Haha I would like to have a rant or two about the need for one, and why the part is so damn expensive!!

Yea Cathal, you are right about loosing money trying to sell a dodgy car. Hopefully now I can fix it and that will be it for a good while. Thanks for the help, feeling much better about the whole thing now. With any little bit of luck now it will be sorted. Bloody expensive car to run!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
I'm usually a glass half full sort of person but if the mechanic says a month I wouldn't push my luck! What actually happens if it goes would it cause more damage?
I'd agree with you there 100%, if there is a noise/clunk get it sorted asap, but sometimes the funds are just not there Then it's a question of what comes first, Payday or Mayday!! In theory a failing unit at high speed could eat through a bell housing, which is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushcles View Post
Haha I would like to have a rant or two about the need for one, and why the part is so damn expensive!!

Yea Cathal, you are right about loosing money trying to sell a dodgy car. Hopefully now I can fix it and that will be it for a good while. Thanks for the help, feeling much better about the whole thing now. With any little bit of luck now it will be sorted. Bloody expensive car to run!
Yes these DMF are terribly expensive to buy / replace. It's a common gripe though on many makes & models. Not looking forward to that bill in the future either. Best of luck and hope it works out ok.
Damien_C

Would you not try a solid mass flywheel maybe? might be a bit more vibrations through the car but will save on a lot of expense later on if and when they go again I know a lot of lads running them in diesel engine cars were the Dmf's cause even more hassle.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Mr Mushcles , they can be more expensive than women but then again Alfa's dont nag only "niggle " !

Hope you get her sorted (the car that is )
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Would you not try a solid mass flywheel maybe? might be a bit more vibrations through the car but will save on a lot of expense later on if and when they go again I know a lot of lads running them in diesel engine cars were the Dmf's cause even more hassle.
I've heard that too....
Good call Damo
Damien_C

There are two sides to the argument some say you shouldn't fit a solid mass Flywheel but others seem to think they are fine. To be honest, the old mans van has a SMF in it and there doesn't seem to be any vibrations that you really notice through it, unless you are really looking to feel them.

(Post Link) post #16 of 32 Old 27-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

I am now officially Alfa-less. timing chain decided to give up there on Tuesday. As it stood there was €3,500 worth of repairs to do on it in total. So it had to go. I am a very sad man.

I managed to trade it for an RX8, which is ok. Will have to do until I can afford another Alfa.

Garage
Sorry to hear that That's big money on repairs alright

Hopefully you'll be back in an Alfa soon but stick around regardless
(Post Link) post #18 of 32 Old 27-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ah yea, sure how would I pass the time at work without ye guys

Still, will manage to save a bit with the mazda. Little easier on petrol and tax. That much sooner until the next Brera
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushcles View Post
I am now officially Alfa-less. timing chain decided to give up there on Tuesday. As it stood there was €3,500 worth of repairs to do on it in total. So it had to go. I am a very sad man.

I managed to trade it for an RX8, which is ok. Will have to do until I can afford another Alfa.

Wow.... chain slipped or snapped? Not good at all.... I knew you had some Pxxx codes relating to the cam-timing some time back, but I thought you were out of the woods at the time.... good god that's not good....

Sorry to hear that... but have to say the RX8 is a great non-Alfa choice of car

Schhhhhh... don't tell anyone, but was looking at a red one here in Cork last week.. just looking mind you...

I wish you the very best with your new 13B-Renesis! Coming into the winter months now, just don't switch that engine off if it's cold!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I test drove an RX8 about 5 years ago at a dealership. One thing i remember, i was told to rev it just before i turn the key off! .....what the heck is that all about? Thats the last thing i'd ever usually do to any car!
AO Silver Member

Yes it's to do with fuel wash-out... some owners rev to 4k prior to shutdown, espcially if engine is cold. Don't know if that's right or wrong, but fuel washout on a cold engine (rotor tips) is not good long term....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Yes it's to do with fuel wash-out... some owners rev to 4k prior to shutdown, espcially if engine is cold. Don't know if that's right or wrong, but fuel washout on a cold engine (rotor tips) is not good long term....
thanks for that. Its such an un-natural thing to do, I would need a post-it note on the steering wheel!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Sorry to hear about your Brera Mushcles.
AO Member

Member car:

A hot motor

Sorry to hear that but dont forget to check the oil regular but I cant believe the mazda is handier on fuel then the brera as what was the breras mpgs like...... there is also a big rotary scene out there of late and some nice blokes involved in that scene
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Sorry to hear that fella, you're always welcome to pop in here or come along to a meet, it wouldn't be the first Mazda a a meet, anyone remember Volmars in the 323 in Killarney

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
brera , sell , time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page