My pan european hol - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Damien_C

My pan european hol

Were do I start with this one. It was 6 countries, 4500miles and roughly 14 tanks of diesel later. It all started in Cork getting the Ferry to Roscoff in that hateful place that is France. We got off the Ferry at 6am french time and absolutely hammered through France from Roscoff to Nice in 12 hrs and to be honest. I'm glad I did it in a day as the tolls were a Joke in France over a 150 euro in tolls and 230 euro in fuel. And we were to Nice. I dunno where people think the South of France is really pretty on the M way's there was nothing to look at really to be honest. Compared to coming down from Holland to France which was much nicer and cheaper too than the Road to Nice.

Stayed in nice for a night and then flew to Italy. Booked a hotel in Maranello was very nice had Aircon and a lovely retaturant attached. Then for the main the reason for me going to Italy.

To drive Ferraris, I drove a 599 GTB and a 355 GTS, the GTS was a spur of the moment choice I was going to go for the 430 Scud but a 355 has always been one of my favourite Fezza's so had to take that for a spin. I'll do a write up about the above later.

Then off to the Lambhorgini factory, I was never there before and it was unreal. Loved it, a bit understated compared to the Ferrari Factory. And the Museum in the Lambo factory was way better than the Fezza one, which years ago was brilliant the Ferrari muesum was but it was a lot shorter and not as good as years gone by imo. But everything in the lambo place was great from their off shore racing engines to the 4x4 to mad concepts etc. And one of the best things ever happened to us, when we were driving out of the factory an Aventador pulls out and we follow it and friend videoed it and to be honest it was class to see. We had to do some mad speeds to catch up with him but was worth it haha.

Then it was off to the surprise off the holiday, Munich in Germany, my friend wanted to go there as he has a E39 530D and that was what we went over in and to be honest it was the best car you could have gone in it. It worked brilliant everywere. Did 150mph in it while chasing a brand new 535D on the Autobahn and he was pulling away from us lol.

Munich, has to be one of the nicest places I've been to, it was clean, the people were lovely, the food was decent and it had a atmosphere not experienced anywere else bar maybe Italy and Holland. Then we went to BMW world which was a great experience for anyone who is a genuine car lover it was great.

We then moved from Germany, to Holland and to Rotterdam, this was the next surpirse of the holiday what a great place that was and is. People, are great and the food and beer was great, going out was interesting but it was brilliant, I'd def be back there again. Saw some cool sites and places to go.

Than onto to Saint Malo in France, lovely place and people were ok, but for some reason France isn't a place I like at all. It had the least friendly people there and the food was only ok, and expensive for what it was. To be honest, in Ireland you can't really go wrong but in France you can and when you do it's expensive for crap food.

Inbetween all of the above was great drives and stories. The best for me being, right by the Italian and French boarder chasing a 4200 Masser into the boarder and him trying to shake the 530 lol It was brilliant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Sounds like you had a great holiday & a great experience driving the Ferraris no doubt
Interesting to see the Lambrogini & BMW places also.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Nice one Damo Did you bring me a souvenir ?
Damien_C

I was in poland too, forgot that bit haha. Yeh, I was in the Ferrari Mesuem too etc. All was great.

AO Platinum Member

County: Lincolnshire
Sounds like you had a brilliant time, D!

The Ferrari & Lambo factories must've been an amazing experience (also driving the Ferraris)

Do I have a sovenir too?
Damien_C

I have a video of me chasing an Aventador that I must put up. Haha, no sovenirs haha

AO Platinum Member

Chasing it on foot? You're fast!
Damien_C

Lol, car I'm too fat to run

AO Platinum Member

It's muscle surely?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

That's what you call a proper holiday..
Damien_C

I forgot about Poland, was there too lol. Great things about poland was the hot women and the cheap clothes beer and food was great there too Bad points people drive like as if they have a Veyron even if they are in a Micra lunatics.

propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
That's what you call a proper holiday..
+1 we need pics!

Damien_C

Have loads of pics but on my buds camera check out the image lounge I've pics of the Ferraris.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

my type of holiday Damo, would kill to do a road trip like that, have done some great road trips in OZ but none ended up in an Italian car museum or trackday
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Damien, I lived in Munich for a few months while I was in college, and I agree -- the Germans even refer to it as "the most northern Italian city". Against that, a former colleague from Nuremburg used to say "Munich is the only place where people actually get dressed up to go to the cinema" - he was right about that too.

And if you're ever back there... Augustinerkeller - Restaurant in München - Nokia Maps
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Very jealous Damo. I've only been to Nice and Munich out of the places you were in, I quite liked Nice, one of my all time favourite bars is there called Wayne's bar, I was only in Munich for work so didn't get to see it much but had a surprisingly great stag in Berlin last year. Very jealous of this trip, I'd love to do something similar sometime.
Damien_C

Munich was great next time you are there go to Killians irish bar, though you will not leave the place sober.

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage
Wow! sounds like a wonderful trip pics please

I think it's time I had a nice trip like that too!
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Munich is great, they removed the man-made concrete riverbed for the Isar a few years ago, and now you can have BBQ right beside the river in a small forest in the middle of the city.

We're going to the Pyrenees for two weeks, trying to rent an Alfa for the trip in Bilbao, fingers crossed...
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Well now Damien that IS some trip in all fairness Pictures or it didn't happen... and I'm not just talking about the car ones... ha ha

Now that you got a taste of a V6 plus-a-few-extra-cylinders life must be complete? (ya lucky thing). that is a trip of a lifetime... What is the lasting impression of the 355? Were the cars unregulated ?

Actually come to think of it, this is the post of the year imo... how many people can truthfully put the words "599 GTB, 355 GTS, Maranello , Ferrari Factory, Lamborghini Factory" into a post about a holiday!!

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicgal93 View Post
Wow! sounds like a wonderful trip pics please

I think it's time I had a nice trip like that too!
You should do America, I did the west coast last year was very nice and easy to cover big miles without really being too tired after it compared to europe. Which can be a bit confusing as there are so many little vilages and roads when you come off the main road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
Munich is great, they removed the man-made concrete riverbed for the Isar a few years ago, and now you can have BBQ right beside the river in a small forest in the middle of the city.

We're going to the Pyrenees for two weeks, trying to rent an Alfa for the trip in Bilbao, fingers crossed...
I have to say it was right up there with Italy for personality and atmosphere compared to well France but the less said about that the better. Good man, try and get a high power Giuli if you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Well now Damien that IS some trip in all fairness Pictures or it didn't happen... and I'm not just talking about the car ones... ha ha

Now that you got a taste of a V6 plus-a-few-extra-cylinders life must be complete? (ya lucky thing). that is a trip of a lifetime... What is the lasting impression of the 355? Were the cars unregulated ?

Actually come to think of it, this is the post of the year imo... how many people can truthfully put the words "599 GTB, 355 GTS, Maranello , Ferrari Factory, Lamborghini Factory" into a post about a holiday!!
Thanks Ch bud, I gave youa ring sunday night but I presume it was bed time for the kids, I forget that you have them sometimes haha my bad if I woke them.

I have to say I really enjoyed the trip and it has me planning on the next one and how I am going to do it a bit differently this time compared to the last. I have loads of pics but as I said they are on my friends camera will get the card off him and upload them ASAP, I must upload the 599 video too.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Damo, would you recommend the company(ies) you rented the Ferraris from? It's something i'd love to do. I'm mad jealous!!
Damien_C

Yep, they are very good to be honest and if you get the right instructor they will show you how to drive it properly if they trust you enough. I really enjoyed it and as you say it was a once in a lifetime thing so I just had to do it was worth every penny even though I really should have spent the money on the 166 getting my wheels and stereo fitted to the car but sure that can happen next month.

AO Silver Member

..that's a proper road trip for sure.. i'd be destroying all the photographic evidence though..!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

I'm jealous and I'm related to him

One of these days I'll do the same in me Zimmer

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
european , hol , pan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page