Considering a 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 19-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

01 156 SW 1.6

Considering a 156

Hello Alfa Owners, long term lurker, first time poster and, as per the title, hoping to become an Alfa owner too.

Just by way of background, Iím a latecomer to motoring having only learned to drive recently at the age of 40...something. For the past 18 months Iíve been pottering around in a very old Micra. Although I donít use the car much during the week Ė Iím fortunate to live in one of the few areas of Dublin with decent public transport Ė I now find myself having to drive longer distances once a fortnight or so, e.g. twice to Waterford and once to Belfast in the last month. Clearly I need a bigger car capable of taking a family of four long distances comfortably. Logically, some sort of MPV makes sense but, frankly, if I'm going to have a car I want a proper one that drives well and looks good. So, Iíve managed to persuade my wife that a used 156 is a sensible choice for a family car. Iím hoping you can help me in my search with some advice/pointers.

Basically, Iíve about Ä2K to spend and Iím considering a 156, 1.6 (for tax and insurance reasons), pre-2003 facelift, good condition, NCTíd, full service history, reasonable mileage, and leather interior. Preferably in the greater Dublin region, but willing to travel. I appreciate the importance of FSH but how important is mileage? I like the older styling but am I better paying more for a newer car? Should I do the sensible thing and buy a people carrier? And Iím flexible on all of the above for the right car.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well Dundrummer . welcome along here . 156 is one of the best cars for smile per mile. Your head probably says people carrier but once you drive an Alfa you wont go back. Service history is important and To be honest it also depends on who has done the service . Alfa's are great cars but like all cars require a bit of maintanance , make sure Timimg belt and water pump were done and check the oil in any car you buy . Most TS's (twin spark) require oil to be topped off every month or so but sometimes owners dont . Mileage is not that important but service is . my son had a 156 with over 100k miles and it still ran sweet as it was serviced whether it needed it or not , so good luck and if you come across a 156 post it up here and there's bound to be one of us that knows the alfa . If you can find one that is owned by one of us (AO members ) then you wont go too far wrong

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

With your budget, I reckon you'll find a very decent 156 and probably with the facelift interior (much nicer place). To be honest, you will find most 156's in a right state, due to people buying them and not giving the attention they deserve, but take your time and you'll find a great one.

County: Cork
Garage
Welcome to AO Dundrummer Hopefully you find a nice 156 in budget
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 20-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

01 156 SW 1.6

Thanks a mill guys. I'm willing to wait a while. In the meantime, if anybody knows of a suitable car for sale I'd love to hear from you.
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Welcome dundrummer, you've come to the right spot, although maybe not if you want us to tell you to get an MPV!!
Dermo and Mysterio hit the nail on the head, service history is probably the most important aspect, if you spot one that has had at timing belt change recently you'll be saving yourself €700 approx. Leather interior may be harder but of you spot another car you like without leather it can always be bought at a later stage and transplanted. This approach might help in your search.

Also, and not to put a spanner in the works, with 4 in the car would a sportwagon be an option?

Like AO - RoI on Facebook AO - RoI Facebook Group

Subscribe to AO - RoI on YouTube AO RoI YouTube

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cogito ergo sumo Alfa
AO Member

County: Cork
hi dundrummer,

I'm selling my 156 sportwagon if you're interested?
http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo...r-sale/2001325
open to offers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page