GT Info - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 39 Old 18-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
GT Info

Right im currently looking at a 2004 GT JTS and i have a few questions...

Whats the JTS engine like?
Does it have a variator, and how reliable is that? when should it be changed..
Any other information you can give me?

Also does anyone know anything about this particular one?
For sale in N4 Cars Sales Alfa Romeo GT SPORTIVO, 3DR, TOP-SPEC, NCT APR-14, TAX SEP-12, NEW T-BELT, VARIATOR and WATER PUMP, AS NEW, ""MUST BE SEEN"", www.N4CARS.ie Petrol 2004 Hatchback for sale in Dublin 20 €4,999
also looking at it today, sais 158k on the clock, cant remember is thats miles of kilometers.. what are they read in? kinda seems a little expensive to me for the miles...

also if anyone is looking for parts for a 2.0L 166, he has one there till tuesday he is looking to scrap and sell parts real cheap. ICS for E30 if i take it out myself... which im considering, need to check it for the CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublevin View Post
Right im currently looking at a 2004 GT JTS and i have a few questions...

Whats the JTS engine like?
Does it have a variator, and how reliable is that? when should it be changed..
Any other information you can give me?

Also does anyone know anything about this particular one?
For sale in N4 Cars Sales Alfa Romeo GT SPORTIVO, 3DR, TOP-SPEC, NCT APR-14, TAX SEP-12, NEW T-BELT, VARIATOR and WATER PUMP, AS NEW, ""MUST BE SEEN"", www.N4CARS.ie Petrol 2004 Hatchback for sale in Dublin 20 €4,999
also looking at it today, sais 158k on the clock, cant remember is thats miles of kilometers.. what are they read in? kinda seems a little expensive to me for the miles...

The JTS doesn't exactly have a great reputation, here's just one thread on the subject https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...s-2-0-jts.html
That being said obviously some people have no issues & are very happy with theirs.

Try a search/have a look here Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum for more general info on the GT & the JTS.

A 2004 car should have Miles not kilometres as the main units, I notice the ad says 98,000 miles/158,000km.
(Post Link) post #3 of 39 Old 18-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
The JTS doesn't exactly have a great reputation, here's just one thread on the subject https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...s-2-0-jts.html
That being said obviously some people have no issues & are very happy with theirs.

Try a search/have a look here Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum for more general info on the GT & the JTS.

A 2004 car should have Miles not kilometres as the main units, I notice the ad says 98,000 miles/158,000km.
ok thanks ill have alook in there so.. but yeah it definatly said 158 on the cars clock, cant remember if the dial was in kilo or miles ... anyone with one that year able to tell me ???

Garage
As I said a 2004 car should be miles so if it said 158,000 on the display it should be miles.

Kilometres weren't introduced until 2005 (as part of the EU metric changeover IIRC) & when Alfa changed their clocks to kilometres miles were not also listed, if you look at the pics in the ad you'll see two scales, miles & kilometres.
(Post Link) post #5 of 39 Old 18-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
As I said a 2004 car should be miles so if it said 158,000 on the display it should be miles.

Kilometres weren't introduced until 2005 (as part of the EU metric changeover IIRC) & when Alfa changed their clocks to kilometres miles were not also listed, if you look at the pics in the ad you'll see two scales, miles & kilometres.
yeah i know i see the 2 scales but that doesnt mean he entered the information right.
generaly when the car starts it will display its standard information, ie. if the car is in miles it will show miles till changed then change back when the turned off and on again..
which mean that in that case its 158k miles not kilometers, and well over priced for that millage.

Garage
I though from reading your 1st post that you saw the odometer reading 158K but that you weren't sure if it was miles or kms.

The odometer display only shows miles & cannot be changed to display kilometres AFAIK.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well the JTS as quoted
The JTS engine debuted in 2002 in the Alfa Romeo 156.[3] The engine was based on the 2.0 Twin Spark, replacing Twin Spark with direct injection, dubbed "Jet Thrust Stoichiometric". This improved power from 114 kW (155 PS; 153 hp) to 121 kW (165 PS; 162 hp), but more importantly, torque climbed from 187 Nm (138 lbft) to 206 Nm (152 lbft). In 2003, this engine was introduced to the GTV/Spider coup and roadster. In spite of its benefits to power, torque and economy, the JTS was not used in the smaller 147 or the larger 166, and much less in other models from the Fiat Group. This was allegedly because the JTS engine cost a lot more to produce than the Twin Spark.

I had a 2ltr Jts in my 156 Ti which was also 2004 (and it was Miles on the ODO) I had a 1.6 TS and also the 2ltr TS and preferred the JTS to be honest . It seemed quicker but it was the torque figure of 143 ( Rolling Road) that made it fel quicker . TBH I never had any problems with the Jts but it seems others may have had . If that GT has 158 Miles on it its not worth it ..

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
(Post Link) post #8 of 39 Old 20-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

looking at a different GT now.. wondering some things.

first off, Its a 2004 GT 2.0 JTS with about 67k miles on the clock, due a service.
There is also an engine warning light on the dash and the variator is gone or going. (would this cause the engine warning light?) they guy said that when he hooks it up to his computer he can clear the code but that its a general one, with no real information ...

My biggest concern is that warning light, if it is there cos of the variator or if its Jets maybe (i herd this can be an issue with the JTS cars)

hes asking for 3000 Euro and i am thinking of giving that to him since that car seems to go for about 4500-5000 from the dealers and even private ads (hes only looking for what the dealers will give him)

any advice or thoughts are welcome please...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Link to this gt ?

someone on here will be able to tell you about the code (thats if you can get it from the seller ) If its the one I'm thinking of its for sale a while
(Post Link) post #10 of 39 Old 21-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Link to this gt ?

someone on here will be able to tell you about the code (thats if you can get it from the seller ) If its the one I'm thinking of its for sale a while
i asked him what it was, did say earlier yesterday but couldnt remember..
its 'Motor Control System Failure' ... did a search and seems to be the crankshaft sensor is gone.. so easy enough fix, if a little bit of a pig of a job.. so im happy enough.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo...r-sale/1911408
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
looking at a different GT now.. wondering some things.

first off, Its a 2004 GT 2.0 JTS with about 67k miles on the clock, due a service.
There is also an engine warning light on the dash and the variator is gone or going. (would this cause the engine warning light?) they guy said that when he hooks it up to his computer he can clear the code but that its a general one, with no real information ...

My biggest concern is that warning light, if it is there cos of the variator or if its Jets maybe (i herd this can be an issue with the JTS cars)

hes asking for 3000 Euro and i am thinking of giving that to him since that car seems to go for about 4500-5000 from the dealers and even private ads (hes only looking for what the dealers will give him)

any advice or thoughts are welcome please...
Bring it to Gerry in TI Autos and ask him....
Only up the road
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
i asked him what it was, did say earlier yesterday but couldnt remember..
its 'Motor Control System Failure' ... did a search and seems to be the crankshaft sensor is gone.. so easy enough fix, if a little bit of a pig of a job.. so im happy enough.

How do you know it's the crank sensor? That light could indicate any number of faults.
(Post Link) post #13 of 39 Old 21-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
How do you know it's the crank sensor? That light could indicate any number of faults.
i dont know... it was what i found by searching... but anyway went out to check it again and turns out its not.
error code is P1141, Fuel injector issue...
so gonna price the fix up and see what i can do.. still very interested in it, once i know the problem its not a problem anymore
AO Member

Member car:

A hot motor

Get used to the engine light if you buy a jts as electrically it was a bit of a step backwards in the quality department but theory wise it was a step forward.
Damien_C

Funny we never had an EML light on our 156 or the subsequent owners didn't either, I suspose it depends on how their looked after and by who, who make all the difference to Alfa's.

AO Member

Member car:

A hot motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Funny we never had an EML light on our 156 or the subsequent owners didn't either, I suspose it depends on how their looked after and by who, who make all the difference to Alfa's.
Very true but these are cars with less then 3000 miles and at the time Alfa italys heart was broke with them but sure this a forum for everyone to express an opinion but opinions can be like arses as everyone has one
Damien_C

But I wasn't speaking from opinion I was speaking from fact. The JTS has it's problems but as I said, I blame it due to people be unable to maintain them correctly and lack of good dealers around to fix their issues when they first came out.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Quote:
But I wasn't speaking from opinion I was speaking from fact. The JTS has it's problems but as I said, I blame it due to people be unable to maintain them correctly and lack of good dealers around to fix their issues when they first came out.
Well said Damo.
(Post Link) post #19 of 39 Old 23-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
yeah surprisingly few dealers about now, and Ireland is meant to be the biggest consumer of Alfa Romeo outside of Italy.. go figure.. I guess though have them properly maintained in this case helps greatly to be able to do the work yourself... which is what i generally do
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
yeah surprisingly few dealers about now, and Ireland is meant to be the biggest consumer of Alfa Romeo outside of Italy.. go figure.. I guess though have them properly maintained in this case helps greatly to be able to do the work yourself... which is what i generally do
Ah great to be able to do your own work and as most of the people on here we are here to help and if your in Dublin Ti Auto's will always help you , as they do know there Alfa's .
Good to know that we are the biggest consumer of Alfa's out side of Italy , that means loads more for me to buy when they get older

Good luck with your new car whatever its going to be , be it JTS or TS , or V6
AO Member

I'm the one who posted the JTS vs TS thread originally. In the end I got a 2.0 JTS, largely because the car on a whole was in good shape and well serviced. I had a look at a 1.8TS in that N4 motors place too and it was...rough. The guy was talking like it was mint and worth loads but it was a mess.
I didn't get to drive a 1.8 TS during my search. The one I saw in N4 motors wasn't running correctly so I couldn't take it out and I snapped up the 2.0 JTS before looking at the other cars I had planned on seeing. I have driven a 1.6 TS 147 and while the revvy nature is a lot of fun I'm enjoying the torque and overall driveability in the JTS.
I haven't had any trouble with the JTS engine, even after leaving the car on the drive for 3 weeks while away for work. That said I haven't had the GT long and I got a full service including timing belt when I bought the car. The car also had a strong service history which seems to be very important for the GT.
Either way you can't go wrong with the GT. It's a gorgeous car and drives like an absolute dream.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

I'm presently keeping eye out for 1.9 GT if any around... dont want to steal the thread though! Need to be new enough.
(Post Link) post #23 of 39 Old 26-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp_GT View Post
I'm the one who posted the JTS vs TS thread originally. In the end I got a 2.0 JTS, largely because the car on a whole was in good shape and well serviced. I had a look at a 1.8TS in that N4 motors place too and it was...rough. The guy was talking like it was mint and worth loads but it was a mess.
I didn't get to drive a 1.8 TS during my search. The one I saw in N4 motors wasn't running correctly so I couldn't take it out and I snapped up the 2.0 JTS before looking at the other cars I had planned on seeing. I have driven a 1.6 TS 147 and while the revvy nature is a lot of fun I'm enjoying the torque and overall driveability in the JTS.
I haven't had any trouble with the JTS engine, even after leaving the car on the drive for 3 weeks while away for work. That said I haven't had the GT long and I got a full service including timing belt when I bought the car. The car also had a strong service history which seems to be very important for the GT.
Either way you can't go wrong with the GT. It's a gorgeous car and drives like an absolute dream.

thanks for that... good to know that there is someone else who went to look at that one on the N4.. didnt seem too bad then i looked at it, but had massive millage. 156k miles. i am just waiting for the loan to go through now and then ill have it in the drive. looking forward to it have to say.. few bits to do but nothing i cant handle.

@Alfa_Daryl when you say 1.9 do you mean the 1.9 JTD ? or you mean the 2L JTS? or 1.8 TS ?? i havent seen many GT diesels about.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

There are four engines in the GT Dublevin, the 1.8TS (Petrol), 1.9JTDm (Diesel), 2.0JTS (Petrol) and 3.2 V6 (Petrol).

This chap here had his whole 2.0JTS engine replaced due to big end failure https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...th-the-gt.html
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Did they not do the petrol 1.9 JTS in the GT?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
info

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page