Foglight's ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 31-07-12 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Hmmm Foglight's ?

Is it legal to drive with you're front fog lights on with no fog here in ROI ?
I have it in my head that the pavement is the sole reserve of the pedestrian & don't ride yer push bike drunk as you'll get DD on yer license . My brother on a pushbike in Glasgow ran a red light , he had no license or ID and his misses had to produce it to get him released .
Been here a while now & would not drive wit fog lights unless it was really poor visibility regardless of being pulled for it by brit traffic cops when i had a hire car and did not know they were on . Were getting more strict than the UK regarding traffic offenses and i see more guards traffic corp on the road than any other
brave soul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: I thought I've something more to say
AO Silver Member
 
klapanciusz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 2,620
Unfortunately they are on the road to collect easy money, it has nothing to do with road safety. Otherwise they'd pick out drivers from the middle lane, speed up feckers joining the motorway doing 70 km/h, banning drivers reversing in the emergency lane because they missed the exit, confiscating 50cc scooters blocking the full lane etc etc.
klapanciusz is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,786
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave soul View Post
Is it legal to drive with you're front fog lights on with no fog here in ROI ?
I have it in my head that the pavement is the sole reserve of the pedestrian & don't ride yer push bike drunk as you'll get DD on yer license . My brother on a pushbike in Glasgow ran a red light , he had no license or ID and his misses had to produce it to get him released .
Been here a while now & would not drive wit fog lights unless it was really poor visibility regardless of being pulled for it by brit traffic cops when i had a hire car and did not know they were on . Were getting more strict than the UK regarding traffic offenses and i see more guards traffic corp on the road than any other
I would think it's not the done thing but aren't they free extra lights??? (Excuse my sarcasm).
It's good you helped Klap vent as well....
Therapeutic....
Mufasa is offline  
Status: #keepFightingMichael
AO Gold Member
 
EauRouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suriname
County: Brokopondo
Posts: 7,703
I must admit that the "Wide-Boyz" that drive around with their Fog lights on when there is no fog nor even a sniff of fog do get on my T-its.
EauRouge is offline  
Status: Flying it!
AO Member
 
Mushcles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Tipperary
Posts: 606
I dunno, it doesn't bother me too much. It looks well on the shape on some cars to have them on, and most of them do no harm like. Some are a bit blinding to be fair.
Mushcles is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
mick164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 1,531
..they can be a pain in the as5 alright, especially in the wet.

Something to keep in mind though is that the new daytime lights can legally be mounted under the bumper and often look like foglamps.. i've heard a couple of stories about people getting hassle from the guards about these, but i'm sure over time it'll work itself out as people get used to them..
mick164 is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 36 Old 31-07-12 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Moaning Ta folks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
Unfortunately they are on the road to collect easy money, it has nothing to do with road safety.
Seem's the same UK side tho they are more efficient @ collecting , i have had a bike cop measure a crack in my window " think if it's over 4 inch or summit it's illegal " he gave me a HORT1 = i had to get it fixed and the HORT1 was to be returned stamped by an MOT/NCT center showing work was done .
If i'm honest i'l tell i am all for road safety in a BIG way , i drive like a grandfather = i can see an accident before it happens .
& honestly the standard of driving here is atrocious , i nearly got taken off my pushbike @ a new roundabout here last week = she never even looked @ all .
They are removing the roundabout here @ Galway as people dont know how to use them
On my first drive here i met a car on the wrong carriageway in the outside lane & had to do an evasive swerve to avoid a head on . Later on that night i was in fog and there was no road marking and oncoming traffic was blinding me .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I would think it's not the done thing but aren't they free extra lights??? (Excuse my sarcasm).
It's good you helped Klap vent as well....
Therapeutic....
Aah no bother & thank you ^ think i'm having a little rant
Cheers Mufiasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
I must admit that the "Wide-Boyz" that drive around with their Fog lights on when there is no fog nor even a sniff of fog do get on my T-its.
I hail from Scotland & we do need Fog lights there @ times , we get snow that's like driving @ warp speed on the enterprise .
Getting blinded by oncoming cars is one of my pet hates , don't they know it's dangerous to blind someone traveling toward you
Does anyone use there headlight height adjuster when theres a load in the vehicle !
Constantly getting blinded by 4x4 drivers as there high , grrr ..
If i was a traffic cop i'd be your worst enemy lol im messing .

Last edited by brave soul; 31-07-12 at 10:54.
brave soul is offline  
Status: D'ya know how much rage I have in me!?
AO Silver Member
 
Mysterio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 4,623

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Don't think it is illegal, but it should be. The amount of drivers with fog lights is disturbing. Especially those micras, who look like a plane who's about to land.
Mysterio is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 36 Old 31-07-12 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Don't think it is illegal, but it should be. The amount of drivers with fog lights is disturbing. Especially those micras, who look like a plane who's about to land.
lol bet if you ask a guarda traffic cop they dont know , any in the house ?
brave soul is offline  
Status: Formerly 166, GT, 147,155,33
AO Silver Member
 
CCOVICH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 2,429

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Anyone who drives with their foglihts on when there's no fog/snow is a tool. They either think it 'looks cool' or are compleletly oblivious of the fact and so shouldn't be driving in the first place as who knows what else they are oblivious to...

Page 19 of the 'Rules of the Road' says that you must only use fog lights in dense fog/falling snow. But there is no statutory provision making use illegal in normal conditions. In saying that, it could fall under 'driving without due consideration' which is a penalty point offence.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8342-0.pdf

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!
CCOVICH is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 36 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick164 View Post
..they can be a pain in the as5 alright, especially in the wet.

Something to keep in mind though is that the new daytime lights can legally be mounted under the bumper and often look like foglamps.. i've heard a couple of stories about people getting hassle from the guards about these, but i'm sure over time it'll work itself out as people get used to them..
Thank's , seem's like headlight are just getting brighter with technology also , slainte


Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
Anyone who drives with their foglihts on when there's no fog/snow is a tool. They either think it 'looks cool' or are compleletly oblivious of the fact and so shouldn't be driving in the first place as who knows what else they are oblivious to...

Page 19 of the 'Rules of the Road' says that you must only use fog lights in dense fog/falling snow. But there is no statutory provision making use illegal in normal conditions. In saying that, it could fall under 'driving without due consideration' which is a penalty point offence.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8342-0.pdf
Top answer , thank's CCOVICH
Ignorance is bliss , there's a lot of bliss drivers out there lol
brave soul is offline  
Status: Flying it!
AO Member
 
Mushcles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Tipperary
Posts: 606
Why does it annoy you so much? I've never felt blinded by them or anything.
Mushcles is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 85,006
Garage
Same here, sometimes I actually wonder if it affects those those who complain about them so much as they subconsciously focus on them where as perhaps those who don't take any notice of them are focusing more on the road ahead & where they are actually going, or perhaps it's a vision issue in some cases.

I've no problem with front fogs even in the rain,in fact I'd rather see people using them than no lights whatsoever especially on dull & wet days which seems to be year round conditions now

Rear fog lights & aftermarket/misaligned lights however I think are much more of a safety issue as are those who think that one headlight is plenty
David P is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 36 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushcles View Post
Why does it annoy you so much? I've never felt blinded by them or anything.
I have poor night vision attributed by getting blinded or just the constant bright to dark , or so i think , theres no real cause the Doc or specialist don't know . Working long hours & stress & age/sex they conclude .
I'm an ex van driver/courier and have done a million miles + , mostly motorway or urban , the condition is central serous retinopathy, i have blurry central vision .
Outwith that it's plain rude or bliss to blind a car coming in your direction .
& seriously , sometimes i have to watch the side road markings from getting blinded .
Glad it does not bother you or you don't suffer .
Quit my job over ^ .
brave soul is offline  
Status: Flying it!
AO Member
 
Mushcles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Tipperary
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave soul View Post
I have poor night vision attributed by getting blinded or just the constant bright to dark , or so i think , theres no real cause the Doc or specialist don't know . Working long hours & stress & age/sex they conclude .
I'm an ex van driver/courier and have done a million miles + , mostly motorway or urban , the condition is central serous retinopathy, i have blurry central vision .
Outwith that it's plain rude or bliss to blind a car coming in your direction .
& seriously , sometimes i have to watch the side road markings from getting blinded .
Glad it does not bother you or you don't suffer .
Quit my job over ^ .
Well if that's not a good reason, I don't know what is!!
Mushcles is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 36 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushcles View Post
Well if that's not a good reason, I don't know what is!!
Ta sorry for the RANT !!
brave soul is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 36 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Same here, sometimes I actually wonder if it affects those those who complain about them so much as they subconsciously focus on them where as perhaps those who don't take any notice of them are focusing more on the road ahead & where they are actually going, or perhaps it's a vision issue in some cases.

I've no problem with front fogs even in the rain,in fact I'd rather see people using them than no lights whatsoever especially on dull & wet days which seems to be year round conditions now

Rear fog lights & aftermarket/misaligned lights however I think are much more of a safety issue as are those who think that one headlight is plenty
Don't start me on irish roads
brave soul is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 85,006
Garage
I won't mention indicators or roundabouts so

David P is offline  
Status: Flying it!
AO Member
 
Mushcles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Tipperary
Posts: 606
Oh god, you'll have me off now.
Mushcles is offline  
(Post Link) post #20 of 36 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
I won't mention indicators or roundabouts so

Scary on a bike
Ha' i can see that coming & instinct stops me getting a claim lol
brave soul is offline  
Status: I thought I've something more to say
AO Silver Member
 
klapanciusz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 2,620
there is a rule back home that you can have the foglights on, if there is fog. And if there is fog, you shouldn't drive faster than (I think) 30 km/h. So if the cops spot anybody driving faster than 30km/h with the foglights on, automatic fine.
klapanciusz is offline  
Status: #keepFightingMichael
AO Gold Member
 
EauRouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suriname
County: Brokopondo
Posts: 7,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
there is a rule back home that you can have the foglights on, if there is fog. And if there is fog, you shouldn't drive faster than (I think) 30 km/h. So if the cops spot anybody driving faster than 30km/h with the foglights on, automatic fine.
Great Law Klap, i reckon they would make a killing over here if they introduced it.
EauRouge is offline  
(Post Link) post #23 of 36 Old 11-09-13 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave soul View Post
is it legal to drive with you're front fog lights on with no fog here in roi ?
Meh
brave soul is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,786
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Care to elaborate?
Mufasa is offline  
(Post Link) post #25 of 36 Old 12-09-13 Thread Starter
Status: on my bike
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
Posts: 1,734

Member car:

147 1.6TS

The night's are fair drawing in and seems every tool has pushed the front fog light button
Was one year ago I started this thread
Getting blinded from behind and oncoming
No fog nowhere , not a wisp
brave soul is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
foglight

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brera foglights - how to change them. Mediaman Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider 14 07-07-12 11:13
tech help for hyspider - foglights groovylee Alfa GTV & 916 Spider 1 08-04-10 19:13
Weak foglights Ian Lusso Alfa GTV & 916 Spider 14 15-10-09 17:25
156 foglights fweather1 Alfa 147, 156 & GT 4 29-05-08 09:58
What are front foglights? EddieGTA Poll Room 28 13-01-06 20:02

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome