obdii scanner info - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 30-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
obdii scanner info

im sure some of you have read my thread on the 166 i bought.. well i finally got it running .. sort of.
To find out why some of the things arnt working i bought an OBDii tool, but when i hook it up i get a connection error. anyone tell me is there anything specific to getting these working ?
The battery hasnt been connected for a while so could that have something to do with it?

the car its self is a 1999 166 2.5 v6. its been sitting up a few months and has only recently gotten a battery into it again, i dont keep the battery hooked up at the moment cos im not driving the car yet (needs some more work)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

When you bought the tool, did it come with some instructions ? I'm pretty sure Cathal has one of these and can tell you more.
AO Member

County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Dublevin, I dont believe the Alfa v6 meets the OBD-II standard, it is a different standard called EOBD.. OBD-II is a US standard AFAIK. Alfadiag or FiatECUScan is best thing for hooking up to the ECU for diagnostic purposes.
(Post Link) post #4 of 21 Old 30-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinH View Post
Dublevin, I dont believe the Alfa v6 meets the OBD-II standard, it is a different standard called EOBD.. OBD-II is a US standard AFAIK. Alfadiag or FiatECUScan is best thing for hooking up to the ECU for diagnostic purposes.
this thing i have is the Autosnap CR800. its a OBDii/EOBD code reader

says it works with any compatible car from 1996 on.
AO Member

County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Hmm, it's a while since I looked into this stuff! Having a senior moment here trying to remember how it works..
Seems actually depending on the year of the car (it's a 2.5v6 right?) if it is a CF2 model like mine (1999 or older) then it is not EODB. If your emission light is shaped like a nozzle (injector) rather than an engine is is not EOBD. See here for more info: AlfaDiag Alfa Romeo Diagnostic Software
In that case something like AlfaDiag is your only hope as the standard scanner stuff won't work. If it's after 1999 (CF3) then it might work.
I've never used the handheld scanner tools myself so hopfully someone will be along who can help you more.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublevin View Post
im sure some of you have read my thread on the 166 i bought.. well i finally got it running .. sort of.
To find out why some of the things arnt working i bought an OBDii tool, but when i hook it up i get a connection error. anyone tell me is there anything specific to getting these working ?
The battery hasnt been connected for a while so could that have something to do with it?

the car its self is a 1999 166 2.5 v6. its been sitting up a few months and has only recently gotten a battery into it again, i dont keep the battery hooked up at the moment cos im not driving the car yet (needs some more work)
Try posting in the Technical & Vehicle Assistance - Alfa Romeo Forum area rather than this area which is primarily designed for arranging local meets and regional discussions.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
if your car pre-Sept 2000 it may not be EOBD even though you may see a obd-ii connector...... I have a snap-on kit that'll read the older stuff... but I see you're in Dublin.

You might try a search on the tech section for a reset procedure.. might clear old stored codes.

sorry cant be more help.....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
this thing i have is the Autosnap CR800. its a OBDii/EOBD code reader

says it works with any compatible car from 1996 on.
I can read the codes and reset them if you want to. You can drop down anytime this week. PM me if you want.
(Post Link) post #9 of 21 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
I can read the codes and reset them if you want to. You can drop down anytime this week. PM me if you want.
actually i cant drop down, the car has no breaks and is not insured, taxed or ncted...

any chance you can come out to me at the weekend? or i might be able to borrow it even?

the code reader i have is actually an OBDii and EOBD, it is meant to red everything from 1996
on..
AO Member

Dublevin,

Where are you based in Dublin? Might be able to help.
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 01-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniep View Post
Dublevin,

Where are you based in Dublin? Might be able to help.
thanks ...

D15, Carpenterstown..

where are you?
propellorhead

I have a laptop cable thing that works to reset error codes, sold the 156 before I ever got a chance to use it. I dont know if its eobity ii or what but you can borrow it if you want. I believe the software is free to download.

Have a mate that lives in hartstown area could drop it out to you.

(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 02-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellorhead View Post
I have a laptop cable thing that works to reset error codes, sold the 156 before I ever got a chance to use it. I dont know if its eobity ii or what but you can borrow it if you want. I believe the software is free to download.

Have a mate that lives in hartstown area could drop it out to you.
that would be diamond man... where in meath are you? id even be able to drive out and collect it..
propellorhead

I'm in trim mate, ill pm me number.

AO Member

I am in Drumcondra. Have the cables and FES. Let me know if I can help.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

I'm in D15 myself. Have a VAGcom cable (here http://scantool.imechatronics.com/vagcom_kkl.jpg ) recently got a new laptop and have Fiat ECU scan installed. I don't know if it works yet as I haven't plugged it into the car, with windows 7 acting up etc. could try it though if you want?
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Fiat ecu may only work with Xp but i may be wrong , I was wrong once 24 years ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Fiat ecu may only work with Xp but i may be wrong , I was wrong once 24 years ago
It works on my 32bit Win 7. You do need to open a port in the laptop (eg. COM3) to be able to communicate with the car. There's a how to on FiatEcuScan's website.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
It works on my 32bit Win 7. You do need to open a port in the laptop (eg. COM3) to be able to communicate with the car. There's a how to on FiatEcuScan's website.
I'm running 64 bit. Took a bit of time to find the COM port to change the latency timing but eventually found it. They say it's compatible on the website but I'll believe it when it's plugged in and working
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 03-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
I'm in D15 myself. Have a VAGcom cable (here http://scantool.imechatronics.com/vagcom_kkl.jpg ) recently got a new laptop and have Fiat ECU scan installed. I don't know if it works yet as I haven't plugged it into the car, with windows 7 acting up etc. could try it though if you want?
pm me your number and ill give you a txt later or tomorrow if your about... give it a test and see if we can find anything on the car.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
pm me your number and ill give you a txt later or tomorrow if your about... give it a test and see if we can find anything on the car.
Pm sent

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
info , obdii , scanner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page