Time to grasp the nettle ! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork

Member car:

ALFA

Time to grasp the nettle !

Ok itís time to draw the line here for my GTV. It is in my shed for over 19 months .I would love to fix it...timing belt snapped but am struggling to justify the cost. I have looked at auto lusso and alternative autos re the parts every month praying that the cost would drop on the other hand as most of ye will understand I am hesitant to get rid of the car simply because I like it... for the sound it makes..the way it handles and looks...the way it made me feel while travelling to Kerry and you hear something strange and pray you make it Home But I do fear that it may be time to grasp the nettle on this and scrap it/sell it or just cough up the cost. Is there anyone out there that could help me on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Cork View Post
Ok itís time to draw the line here for my GTV. It is in my shed for over 19 months .I would love to fix it...timing belt snapped but am struggling to justify the cost. I have looked at auto lusso and alternative autos re the parts every month praying that the cost would drop on the other hand as most of ye will understand I am hesitant to get rid of the car simply because I like it... for the sound it makes..the way it handles and looks...the way it made me feel while travelling to Kerry and you hear something strange and pray you make it Home But I do fear that it may be time to grasp the nettle on this and scrap it/sell it or just cough up the cost. Is there anyone out there that could help me on this.
Is this the kind of help you're looking for?
Buy another and keep that as a donor car?
What year is it?
The other option is getting someone to fix it for you..... (Not me)
(Post Link) post #3 of 25 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA

Year is 00 - well looking for some sympathy and empathy as well as some hard facts reagrding pricing to do the job.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Cork View Post
Year is 00 - well looking for some sympathy and empathy as well as some hard facts reagrding pricing to do the job.
Dude you know we love you on here!!!

I went through it a few years back with a burnt exhaust valve on an 02 166 TS.
Ä2.5 later ran it for another 2 and a half years....
The only thing I would say is don't rush into anything but you've anticipated that I see!
Always a killer when your pride and joy is 'sick.'

Have I redeemed myself?
AO Member

County: Tipperary
It is a killer when they are sick. If the rest of the car is in good shape I'd say fix it. Because you know that car, and there is always some element of chance in getting a new one.
(Post Link) post #6 of 25 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA

@ Mufasa - The only thing I rushed into was buying it and all the extras to make her shine more!
@ Mushcles - yea rest of the car is in good nick to be fair for a 12yr old car.

But I can see the cost soaring - new pads at this stage front and back, god knows how many of the vavles are bent, suppose do the water pump while the head is off and in the shop, belts tenisors pulleys etc.. where does/would it stop? Any ideas of a ball park figure?
AO Member

Yea its a fright what can happen to them when it goes. But if it wasnt driven you could be lucky with it. Definitely worth a look instead of selling it. You won't get what its worth to you.
(Post Link) post #8 of 25 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA

it snapped when i was driving on Christy Ring Bridge on a saturday lunch time (bad palce , bad time)..and like a fool i thought it was just me letting the car cut out by not giving it enought gas..!
AO Member

ah sure look, this stuff happens. Its a horrible feeling. God that's an awful place for it to go. Ah hopefully its not as big a fix as you think. Might be worth looking into pricing a new engine from Don Baker or equivalent?! I have no idea of the prices so I stand to be corrected on that.
(Post Link) post #10 of 25 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA

That is what I am looking for a few names of good mechanics - that know gtv and their temperament - and a rought costing otherwise it could be to the crusher....in another 12 months
AO Member

This is the tread you want: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...f-ireland.html

Lee Garage are very popular Corkonians on that list
(Post Link) post #12 of 25 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA

yea i was looking at that..as if it was the bible!
but one one has really said anything re prices>? or if some one would do it a a foxer/mixer
Damien_C

I have a man that might be interested in buying it if you are selling.

(Post Link) post #14 of 25 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA

@ Damien_C - I am really considering it seeing that i cannot get a rought idea of the rebuild
Damien_C

No bother at all there has to be an engine out there somewhere you not head into the Lee in town and ask them do they have any spare second hand engines you never know what they might have.

(Post Link) post #16 of 25 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA

spare engine - would defo consider that - know of any off hand? Any idea of cost re buying and fitting anyone?
Lee Garage - reading alot of good reports from the thread about them.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Scrap it. You've been umming and arring over it for nearly two years now.
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...lp-advice.html
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...-for-sale.html
AO Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

A good mechanic, experienced with Alfa, with a ramp, would change an engine in a day.We'll say he charged you 50 an hour, so something near 4/500 would cover labour.
If you got an engine for free, thats your cost, not allowing for fluids, filters and any issues you may encounter.
You'd buy an engine for anything between 250 or 500 depending on quality. Either way a belt change would be recommended unless you knew the history of the engine in question.
So expect to spend at least 1000 Euro. If you absolutly love the car, thats the way to go, other than that, move on and buy a runner.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Is it a TS or a V6?
AO Member

Member car:

A hot motor

Big question is why are you changing the engine for a snapped belt as it is only the valves that are damaged and a head change would be a cheaper job
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Swarlb give some good estimates for the engine swap What I would do is get a few quotes from different places and from each place get a quote for both of your options ie. Quote 1. Engine swap, new belts and whatever else you want fixed or replaced (you'll have to factor in a new engine as well) Quote 2. To fix the current engine and whatever else you want fixed or replaced and go with whatever you think is best.
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soce View Post
Big question is why are you changing the engine for a snapped belt as it is only the valves that are damaged and a head change would be a cheaper job
A person with experience of removing a head will have it done in about 2 hours or less. Say you have a head free of charge and in good condition. Allow for costs of fluids, belt, gaskets,skimming,cleaning etc...thats 4 to 5 hours work. Possibly 400 to 500 euro at best. Factoring in the cost of a reconditioned head, or valves, you are easily at 800 Euro or more. Far easier and simpler to source a decent engine. It is not that difficult a job.
(Post Link) post #23 of 25 Old 23-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA

@ swarlb - many thanks for your input - did the numbers and i can put 1000euros aside for either option
@ GTV Gav - anyone recommended in the munster area?
@ Keyser Soce - am trying to weigh up the cost ie would it be cheaper to just buy a 2nd hand engine and drop it in rather than reparing the one i have head vavles belts ertc
@ CCOVICH - It's a TS
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Munster would not be my strong point, Damien C or Dave P may be able to recommend someone.

Garage
I'd say give Lee Garage a call or drop in & talk to them about your options, surely it's worth a few mins of your time to see what they say, at least then you'll have a better idea of what your options are.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
grasp , nettle , time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page