Want a 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 59 Old 04-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Meath
Want a 159

Hope I am using the correct forum for this? I want to change to an Alfa 159, saloon, diesel, red with cream interior. I am getting mixed messages when calling dealers. Some suggest that its difficult to get that combo here ? Thinking of looking in the UK.

Is it expensive to change plates etc?

I had trouble with wipers on 156 as well as sensor light for driver airbag, which was really difficult to fix. Anyone have a 159 and are there any issues with them?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
From previous threads on here it seems that there isn't a great choice of Irish used 159s especially with a high equipment specification.

As for common issues, the steering rack seems to be an issue & it's something to look out for as it can be an expensive fix. Also tyre wear is an issue but mostly on the 18" & 19" tyres (usually due to the outdated incorrect tracking setting being used)

Gav's 159 thread might be of interest to you https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...g-a-159-a.html

The 159 Tech Lounge is also worth a look for all things 159 related Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Hi Az as said uk or NI is a better bet for a 159 , If you do find one you can estimate the VRT here

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrte...execution=e1s1

Ok
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

+1 to what Dave said, the 159's are few and far between over here particularly in petrol so best option would be NI or UK or bide your time and wait for an Irish one to come up but you could be waiting an awfully long time. Having said that I did spot this earlier on NI plates:
Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso for sale in Armagh : £4,995 - DoneDeal.ie
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
+1 to what Dave said, the 159's are few and far between over here particularly in petrol so best option would be NI or UK or bide your time and wait for an Irish one to come up but you could be waiting an awfully long time. Having said that I did spot this earlier on NI plates:
Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso for sale in Armagh : £4,995 - DoneDeal.ie
That's a cracking looking motor Gav and the seller is making all the right noises for me...

Did some of the 159s give timing chain trouble too?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Did some of the 159s give timing chain trouble too?
They sure did......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

It's only the JTS have chains. The JTDm still has the good old belt...
(Post Link) post #8 of 59 Old 05-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks a mill for all the replies. Will check out VRT. Think I will have to limit my expectations as I dont want to wait a long time. Current car will need a new gear box, tyres, something done with sensor lights and general overahaul which will be costly and car is getting on in years/mileage, so want to change sooner rather than later.
Also eating petrol at the moment.

Thanks for info on potential issues, always good to know in advance.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

If you're looking at a diesel and your budget allows, I would really advise you to go for the 2.0 JTDm. It will be cheaper to tax and cheaper to run than either the 1.9 or the 2.4. Not as powerful as the 2.4 for sure, but a much smoother and responsive engine than the 1.9. Hard to find, even in the UK.
AO Silver Member

Hello azrelle.. I tried to send you a PM but can't..

Anyway send me an email if you've any questions on importing a UK 159.. I've been through it twice and its great fun... Well up until you have to hand over the Vehicle Robbery Tax...

Best of luck with the car hunt!

Cheers
Cathal
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
same here, however my experience is 4 years old. but it was great fun indeed.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Hello azrelle.. I tried to send you a PM but can't..

Possibly for the following reason

Quote:
You need to have made 10 posts or more and been registered for over 14 days to be able to use various forum features which includes PMs.
(Post Link) post #13 of 59 Old 05-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks guys.
Yes dont have access to email etc yet.
When you say great fun? Have looked at that VRT link and it is incredible. Working out at approx 3000 when I put in details of some for sale in UK and thats not including sterling change over.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Don't forget you need to add in costs for the ferry, an inspection and HPI check, flights etc etc. I imported the GT and it was well worth it, but you need to be aware of the costs.

If VRT is new to you, are you new to Ireland? It's been an issue here for years.....
(Post Link) post #15 of 59 Old 06-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

I was aware that there were costs for same but not the extent of the VRT. It seems excessive to me. Having never looked at importing a car before,I guess its all a learning curve.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrielle View Post
I was aware that there were costs for same but not the extent of the VRT. It seems excessive to me. Having never looked at importing a car before,I guess its all a learning curve.
It is excessive and to the best of my knowledge (which is not extensive) it is actually contrary to European law....
I've heard the fine is less than what they charge us although that might just be a rumour!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
It is excessive and to the best of my knowledge (which is not extensive) it is actually contrary to European law....
I've heard the fine is less than what they charge us although that might just be a rumour!

You may not remember Mr Rory but when it first was stated that we needed to Join the EEC (as it was known then!) we all joined on the basis of cheap cars .. There would be new cars for everyone at the same price as they were on the continent .. wow. Then the VRT was "made up" so as the Government (robbers) would not lose the take from new cars . It is a fact that a case is/was taken but it takes possibly 10 years to go through the courts . Its of no use as the robbers (Government) can then put a tax on say steering wheels , another 10 years in coiurt and when thats overturned , a tax on door mirrors etc etc.. so we are stuck with high tax on cars

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
You may not remember Mr Rory but when it first was stated that we needed to Join the EEC (as it was known then!) we all joined on the basis of cheap cars .. There would be new cars for everyone at the same price as they were on the continent .. wow. Then the VRT was "made up" so as the Government (robbers) would not lose the take from new cars . It is a fact that a case is/was taken but it takes possibly 10 years to go through the courts . Its of no use as the robbers (Government) can then put a tax on say steering wheels , another 10 years in coiurt and when thats overturned , a tax on door mirrors etc etc.. so we are stuck with high tax on cars
The great white hope that was 1992 - cheap everything was on its way.....
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Ah you do remember , The Great white elephant more like it !
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Ah you do remember , The Great white elephant more like it !
I'm older than I look!!!
But way younger than you look....
(Post Link) post #21 of 59 Old 14-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok so I am going over to uk next week to look at a 159 , red, 1.9 diesel, 75,000 miles on clock , 2009, cream interior and looking for £ 8500. So any advise would be appreciated re VRT and what to look out for. Can I drive it back on ferry? intending to fly over but drive back if I can get car at right price and its in good condition etc. Can I drive a uk reg car here until plates etc are changed etc?

Cheers
Az
AO Member

Member car:

A hot motor

If you want to pm me your number and I will talk you through some of the pitfalls but I wont post the info due to the reaction of a minority
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Ok so I am going over to uk next week to look at a 159 , red, 1.9 diesel, 75,000 miles on clock , 2009, cream interior and looking for £ 8500. So any advise would be appreciated re VRT and what to look out for. Can I drive it back on ferry? intending to fly over but drive back if I can get car at right price and its in good condition etc. Can I drive a uk reg car here until plates etc are changed etc?

Cheers
Az
Yes you can , just get your irish insurance company to cover the car from when you pick it up . I have done it no bother , and Cathal on here has as well.

Here Vehicle Registration Tax - Frequently Asked Questions will give you the proper way to import a car . Ok good luck with the purchase hope the car is what you want .
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soce View Post
If you want to pm me your number and I will talk you through some of the pitfalls but I wont post the info due to the reaction of a minority
Why PM? What's so private about some helpful information regarding importing a vehicle? The whole point of forums is to share information and advice with others, by PMing you are withholding useful information from the rest of the community.

'Reaction of a minority' - if you have an issue with a post which is against Alfaowners rules, please report it.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Cheers
Az
You can drive it back.
You can get your current insurance policy to cover your new car from the UK to here and thereafter... Insurance companies don't care if the car is IRL or UK registered in my experience.

Make sure the car has valid UK road tax.... And yes I said UK tax!
The police will take the car from you if your caught driving without road tax. Ask the seller/garage to arrange for the tax to be paid for you in advance.

Customs will be interested in looking at your car before getting on the ferry at the UK side... show them your receipt for the purchase and there will be no problems.

Book a VRT inspection here: NCTS :: National Car Testing Service - VRT

Once the car is booked you can drive on UK plates here in Ireland with no problems. Just carry a printout of your booking with you.

Lookup the VRT calculator here : https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrte...execution=e1s1

On the day of the inspection you will have to pay whatever they request there and then. If you feel you have been charged too much then there is an appeals process.

But once you have the correct statistical code from the VRT-calculator site you'll know how much you'll be paying. My guess is you'll pay around 3100 for the car you describe.

Best of luck with the purchase if you go! It's a great day out...

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page