147 Write Off- NCT + Insurance - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 41 Old 16-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
147 Write Off- NCT + Insurance

Was driving over a one of those newly surfaced roads last night and it was wet. No grit. Think I drove over something like petrol/oil but the back started to pull out a little bit and I was starting to lose control as a result. Managed to pull it back relatively straight to avoid head-on collision with barrier. Side impact to rear psngr corner impact. Write off.

NCT up since 2/12, but sat NCT 30 March, failed on very minor issue-head light allignment. Didn't retest on time and had to rebook. Test was booked for 30 June. Tax also up 1 month. Anyone any idea if insurance will refuse to pay out considering this? In any case, what would I be looking at for a payout if they did for 2002 147?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

That's a tough one but at least you're not hurt. The fact you had it booked and failed on a minor item should stand to you. My biggest worry would be the value of car relative to the value of your no claims bonus.

Whats the market value of the car? 1200 -1500?
(Post Link) post #3 of 41 Old 16-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yeh that'd be the market value range. Hoping the NCT booked makes the whole thing easier. Never claimed before. No claims bonus is only 3 years, not protected. Any idea roughly of the formula is for calculating loading after claim?
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Not a clue, sorry. If the value of your ncb is anywhere near the value of the car, I'm not sure id claim.
Damien_C

Just strip the car and sell it for parts you'd be mad claim for 1500 euro, you'd make that back on the parts.

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJunior1 View Post
Was driving over a one of those newly surfaced roads last night and it was wet. No grit. Think I drove over something like petrol/oil but the back started to pull out a little bit and I was starting to lose control as a result. Managed to pull it back relatively straight to avoid head-on collision with barrier. Side impact to rear psngr corner impact. Write off.

NCT up since 2/12, but sat NCT 30 March, failed on very minor issue-head light allignment. Didn't retest on time and had to rebook. Test was booked for 30 June. Tax also up 1 month. Anyone any idea if insurance will refuse to pay out considering this? In any case, what would I be looking at for a payout if they did for 2002 147?
No they shouldn't refuse because it didn't contribute to the accident but they may reduce slightly the amount they give you.

Last edited by GTV Gav; 18-06-12 at 11:39.
(Post Link) post #7 of 41 Old 18-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Just strip the car and sell it for parts you'd be mad claim for 1500 euro, you'd make that back on the parts.
You think? What would be the first parts to sell? I mean, the engine bay was completely smashed on once side, also 2 wheels and axle broken, airbags deployed..
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Glad you're ok by the way
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Hi GTJunior1... I have no worthwhile advice for you, just to say sorry to hear this happened to you... that's bad luck. Glad you're ok though. I hope your insurance company sort you out. It would be doubtful they would not pay out due to motortax, nor the fact your headlight was out of alignment. Unfortunately the only one that can answer that it the insurance comp;nay themselves.. The best of luck!

Have a read off this post on Boards.ie.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056481694
(Post Link) post #10 of 41 Old 18-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Hi GTJunior1... I have no worthwhile advice for you, just to say sorry to hear this happened to you... that's bad luck. Glad you're ok though. I hope your insurance company sort you out. It would be doubtful they would not pay out due to motortax, nor the fact your headlight was out of alignment. Unfortunately the only one that can answer that it the insurance comp;nay themselves.. The best of luck!

Have a read off this post on Boards.ie.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056481694
Thanks Lads! Yeh I was extremely lucky. Read that boards thread on Saturday actually. General consensus from people seemed to be that they'd pay out on this and that those two issues are minor and they'd have to get these details from the police. Dealt with the insurance today (one of the main ones) and they were very helpful, said it would be sorted very quickly. Also set me up with a replacement car. What are the odds I'll get a Giulietta Cloverleaf to replace the 147?
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Fantastic result! I'm glad it looks like it's going to end well for you.
AO Member

County: Wicklow
I wrote a van off a couple of years back with no DOE,no tax and my licence was also out of date.(Pretty shabby I know!)Insurance paid out no problem.The guy who came out to inspect it didn't even open the bonnet..As far as I know it would only be if the condition of the car caused the accident that they'd refuse to pay out.My premium went through the roof though!
(Post Link) post #13 of 41 Old 18-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

That's interesting. Yeh well, they collected it today so I assume I'll hear back from them tomorrow. As my second car (in my own name), I'm going to miss the 147 which I feel I took for granted quite a lot, most notably when I stepped into my beautiful 2012 Fiat Panda replacement car. 10 years newer, about 10% of the responsiveness.

Seems that NCT-doesn't actually mean the car was road worthy, and the same assessment will be done either way, unless the accident seems dodgy. But slipping in the wet obviously isnt.
AO Member

I know what you mean,I was driving an Opel Astra for a while while I was getting an engine and clutch fitted..It was a pig by comparison!They do get under your skin.Plenty of cheap ones around though on donedeal etc..Don't think your insurance company will tell you what your premium will go up by,but they will get whatever they give you back with interest.I was told by another insurance company after claiming money from Quinn Direct to rebuild my van that they couldn't insure me until the claim was closed.(3 years later)Basically they have it stitched up between themselves that you can't go anywhere until they've made the money back and then some.Good luck with it anyway,hope it works out for you.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Just hopefully it will be sorted out , but as said prepare to be molested by your next renewal , it will cost you . Just as a foot note , if you pay 500 extra on your renewal for the next 3 year's then they have there 1500 ( or so) they paid you back. You are really after spreading the cost of their "loan" over 3 years !. If you didnt claim you could have sold parts off the 147. possibly about 300 for the leather (or more) doors , electrical's etc may ahve realised another 3-400 . Thats 800 youre up with the your NCB untouched . But you never know the premium may not be too much !

Good luck anyway

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Glad it was just the car written off, and not you...

What I can't get my head round, in this country, is.. If anyone knowingly drives with tax/nct out, then they are committing an offence. If there's an accident, through whatever circumstances, and something is written off. Why do people think its OK to claim off insurance.

It just pushes the price up for everyone else...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well George, it peeesssis me off too when people block you merging onto a Motorway but that doesnt seem to stop them ! And then they enter move into the overtaking lane after they blocked you
AO Member

..and some of us are broke as a joke and just need to get to work!Tax and nct will be paid when we can.Can't predict when you're going to have an accident though..
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote "It is a legal requirement in Ireland to pay motor tax if you want to drive your vehicle in a public place."

so if you have no tax and nct , is not the next stage of that behaviour to have no insurance ?

Sorry but this country and people think its ok for everybody else to pay their bills for them .. TBH I am sick of paying other peoples bills !

end of
AO Member

No insurance is the ultimate no no in my book by the way..Insurance in this country is an absolute racket in my opinion.If you get caught short with your tax out by a couple of days or whatever I don't see why they shouldn't pay out.I've given them thousands over the years(not your money!)Good luck!
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Well George, it peeesssis me off too when people block you merging onto a Motorway but that doesnt seem to stop them ! And then they enter move into the overtaking lane after they blocked you
At least they have tax and stuff (well most do), and have more right to be on a road than someone who hasn't..
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny 156 View Post
No insurance is the ultimate no no in my book by the way..Insurance in this country is an absolute racket in my opinion.If you get caught short with your tax out by a couple of days or whatever I don't see why they shouldn't pay out.I've given them thousands over the years(not your money!)Good luck!
I may be wrong but it seemed to me in your last post you were condoning driving without tax and NCT , not "out by a few days "! .

Anyway , if you pay your tax and get an NCT "after a few days" then I'm not paying for you am I .. So all good . And one's Insurance states in the small print that the car must be legal to be insured then no NCT or Tax = my insurance company may not cover the accident .
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
At least they have tax and stuff (well most do), and have more right to be on a road than someone who hasn't..
Unless they are driving an Alfa they have no right to be on the road
AO Silver Member

Raise your hand if you drive/drove a car with no nct/tax because you "couldn't afford it" but you had a pint or a fag.
OK, the whole of Ireland put your hands down, and "enjoy" the mortality rate of the single car accidents.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Ah Mr L , as usaual to the point

* and your car looks cool with the Supersports *

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
147 , insurance , nct , write

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page