Got myself a 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 12-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Roscommon

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

Got myself a 159

Bought a 06 1.9 JTDm 159 today and i love it!! Its great to be driving an Alfa again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire
Congrats - change of avatar and member car needed

County: Cork
Garage
Congrats on the 159, well wear
(Post Link) post #4 of 36 Old 12-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

They're a fabulous car to drive. Have to tidy some paintwork on the front bumper and give it a good clean and then I can get some pics up.
Damien_C

Good man twiggy, get the DPF outta it and remap her bud, she'll be like the time the 2.4 went on the rollers in CDA lol.

(Post Link) post #6 of 36 Old 12-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

Ya I fully intend on gettin rid of the DPF as soon as possible. I'll try and make sure this one doesnt have the same smoke "issues" as the last one! Want to sort out some wheels for it first.
Damien_C

Good man, get the pics up and the spec, 159's are great

AO Member

County: Meath
Hi guys,

Still waiting to become an Alfa member waiting on a black 159 leather seats to come about.

Why would you remap the car and whats a DPF?

I am not the best with cars thats why I want at least a year warrenty because Alfa's are known for problems.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmilton View Post
Hi guys,

Still waiting to become an Alfa member waiting on a black 159 leather seats to come about.

Why would you remap the car and whats a DPF?

I am not the best with cars thats why I want at least a year warrenty because Alfa's are known for problems.
DPF = Diesel particulate filter. Basically that filter gets messy overtime (mostly if driven around town at low speeds) and gets blocked, which in turn costs a lot of money to clean. Removing it takes care of this problem.

The remap is to tell the ECU the DPF is no longer there.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggmeistar View Post
Bought a 06 1.9 JTDm 159 today and i love it!! Its great to be driving an Alfa again.

Congrats and enjoy your car! Good choice of model btw .....
(Post Link) post #11 of 36 Old 13-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

Cheers Cathal, Doesnt look quite as well as your Ti but hopefully in time it will be close!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

You with another Diesal .. It'll be throwing out 340 Break and 400 Torque shortly and giving the Ozone layer a bigger hole than it alrady has . Hey anything that heats up this bloody country is Good by me !

Well wear with her they are a great car to drive even with standard set up
AO Member

DPF not in the care for a reason though?

Surely removing it will cause another problem to come along?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Cheers Cathal, Doesnt look quite as well as your Ti but hopefully in time it will be close!
Well a 159 is a 159! The 1.9 is a great engine imo, after she warms up it's so refined. Also the turbo gauge on the dash cluster is addictive viewing too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmilton View Post
DPF not in the care for a reason though?

Surely removing it will cause another problem to come along?
The DPF was to reduce soot particles being expelled into the air afaik. if you removed it (and flash the ECU) there will be no ill effects to the engine, running, performance nor NCT emissions test.. Although after reading this a few days ago, I'm feeling a little guilty now:

W.H.O. Diesel report -> http://press.iarc.fr/pr213_E.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Well wear with her they are a great car to drive even with standard set up
+1 I'd so so far as to say, the diesel version along with standard suspension is the better car to have... and a lot easier to live with everyday.

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Yes agree cathal, Had one on rent a dent time in Italie and tbf it was a nice handler and ticked all the Alfa boxes .. God be with the days that we thought Alfa's could never be dieseasal an remain true to their heritage
AO Member

Lads,

A decent Alfa has come about

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDM 16V LUSSO Diesel 2008 Saloon for sale in Limerick City €11,995

What do you think of this? Not sure if I will be up to travelling to Limerick for it though. The Warrenty would be no use to me.
AO Member

Better yet,

Going to look at this.

Alfa Romeo 159 1.8 Sportivo...Black with Cream Leather Petrol 2008 Saloon for sale in Swords €11,495

Has everything I want just not Diesel but beggers cant be choosers!

Is there a real difference in driving petrol then diesel, only reason I want diesel is because its cheaper and love the sound! (Sad I know haha)
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
diesel is cheaper - at the moment - but the maintenance cost of a diesel engine is higher, and this kicks in after 3-4 years, if I remember correctly what Damien said in another topic
(Post Link) post #19 of 36 Old 17-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Well a 159 is a 159! The 1.9 is a great engine imo, after she warms up it's so refined. Also the turbo gauge on the dash cluster is addictive viewing too..

+1 I'd so so far as to say, the diesel version along with standard suspension is the better car to have... and a lot easier to live with everyday.
That turbo gauge can get very distracting! :-) I s there a big difference between the standard car and the Ti in terms of ride comfort?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I s there a big difference between the standard car and the Ti in terms of ride comfort?
In my humble opinion yes. I know Damien on here who has driven my car and thought it was fine, but he is used to a LOT firmer suspension on some of this other cars. (Damien do you want to comment?).

Personally if you're driving on bad road surfaces (like I do a lot) I find myself looking for the best set of tracks on the road to place the wheels on.... It becomes very tiring. Also, when the roads surfaces are poor, the car jars and feels skittish. As the tyres wear the car will tramline slightly too on certain roads.

The 40 profile on the firmer (all be it slightly firmware) suspension has no advantage, as far as I can see, on the normal car with higher profile. Looks are a different thing, but day to day living, comfort and the cost of the tyres I can't see the advantage.

The only advantage can see is on a motorway at speed, the car does feel very well planted on the Ti setup. In high crosswinds (again this is my experience) there is no buffeting.
Damien_C

Having driven both. CH's Ti and a Lusso spec JTDM in Italy, they are both pretty competant on a back road. The only difference was as CH said the ride comfort the Ti's a good bit harder due to the fact it is on 19's and has johnny wrapper rubber on it. The turn is still nice and direct like the Lusso I drove a good bit.

As I said to CH himself you can actually go harder on a back road with the softer suspension and higher suspension without having fear of bottoming out and taking a sump away with you. And the more complient the suspension is the better it was at high Frequency bumps too stopping the car skip across the road. So really it is up to your own personality and what you are into yourself. My 146 was pretty solid on the road and it never bottomed out on me and the 156 was lowered on Bilsteins and Eibach and that never bottomed out on me either so if you are a bit observant driving you should be able to avoid doing damage in general.

(Post Link) post #22 of 36 Old 18-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

I'm thinking about switching to 18s and lowering it. I found with my 156 that after it was lowered it seemed far less likely to bottom out compared to the standard setup.
Damien_C

It makes sense when you think about it. My 146 would rarely hit the bottom of the exhaust mani due to the fact the level of suspension travel was so limited now it made for a harder ride but would rarely bottom out as I said.

(Post Link) post #24 of 36 Old 20-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

I was servicing the 159 Monday and noticed the subframe has hit the ground on more than one occasion! Any thoughts on wheel choice for it??
Damien_C

BBS CH's or Ultraleggeras bud

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page