Alfa Romeo 166 2 litre petrol model 2001-Lacking power in all gears - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 04-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

Help Alfa Romeo 166 2 litre petrol model 2001-Lacking power in all gears

2 litre petrol model Alfa Romeo 166 - 2001
Lack of power in all gears

o Engine sounds good while ticking over in neutral and while driving at low speed in each gear for instance, at 30mph in fourth gear. When driving, engine feels like it is working very hard in each gear to achieve very modest speeds. There is no surge of power in any gear and speed builds up very gradually to the extent that you would be wary of trying to pass out slow moving vehicles, particularly on motorways. Would problems with timing belt be a consideration? I have had the car checked on a diagnosis machine in Alfa garage but they found nothing. The mileage on the car is less than 50,OOO. Had clutch replaced two months ago and while undergoing this repair, mechanics found that one of the "wheels" on which the timer belt rotates, had come loose! This was repaired too, but poor performance continued as outlined above, before and after repairs. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Sorry no idea, it might also be worth asking in the 166 Tech Lounge though.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
maf? try to disconnect it, and give it a try if there is a difference. also, try an ecu reset
or take it to Gerry, at TI autos.
(Post Link) post #4 of 20 Old 04-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
maf? try to disconnect it, and give it a try if there is a difference. also, try an ecu reset
or take it to Gerry, at TI autos.
Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately I can't understand what you are suggesting. Can you be more specific please.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
my first thought too, the MAF is the sensor in the black tubing that leads to the manifold. If the 2.0 is the same as the V6s it will be down by the passenger headlamp, simply disconnect the wire leading to the sensor and hopefully the car will fly, idle will be crap thogh and the engine light will be on for five clear states after reconnection.

HTH
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 04-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by harman4 View Post
Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately I can't understand what you are suggesting. Can you be more specific please.
It's too complicated for me so I will take it to Gerry at TI autos. Many thanks.
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 04-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple145 View Post
my first thought too, the MAF is the sensor in the black tubing that leads to the manifold. If the 2.0 is the same as the V6s it will be down by the passenger headlamp, simply disconnect the wire leading to the sensor and hopefully the car will fly, idle will be crap thogh and the engine light will be on for five clear states after reconnection.

HTH
Many thanks for your reply but it is too complicated for me to try, so I will take it to Gerry at TI autos.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
don't worry, after about a year of Alfa ownership you'll pick these things up. I still won't attempt to try to fix my car, but learning more and more about it helps me to avoid panic if something doesn't work as it supposed to.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
don't worry, after about a year of Alfa ownership you'll pick these things up. I still won't attempt to try to fix my car, but learning more and more about it helps me to avoid panic if something doesn't work as it supposed to.
Which is a common occurrence, sadly..
AO Silver Member

Hi. this is a picture of the 2.0 T Engine on our old 156.. the layout on the 166 will be the same. There is a RED BOX around the sensor you need to disconnect while the engine is off....

20TS engine.jpg

Then start up your car and drive around a little and see if there is an improvement.

This sensor meters/senses the volume/rate of air being ingested into the engine. When it's faulty is may cause the symptoms you're describing. When you disconnect this sensor the engines ECU (computer) knows it's missing and reverts back to using a stored set of values (guess work!) to manage the air fuel ratios etc.

Do you have the engine diagnostic light illuminated on your dashboard? Well if it was checked at an 'Alfa' garage they should have read the codes and cleared etc.. Having said that if it was connected to the Alfa software (Examiner) they should have picked up on the sluggish performance and 'dodgy' values on the air sensor... hmmmmm..

Was your car exhibiting the poor performance when the Alfa guys were working on it?

One other dumb question, sorry I have to ask, you said there was a clutch changed on your car recently.. Are the revs on the car climbing very high when accelerating? That is I wonder is the clutch slipping? Also, at what point do you feel your clutch peddle engage or bite? Is it low to the floor or nearly at the top?

Sorry can't be more helpful......

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

Last edited by Cathal_H; 05-06-12 at 16:22. Reason: EDIT: Wrong information in the post
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
FYI: The MAF on a 166 is actually at the other end of that pipe, on the 156 picture above.. :mygrin1:
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

And we have our battery in the boot - but fair play Cathal for going to the effort!!
AO Silver Member

meh! defeated again by a lack of knowledge ... I'll go back to doing what I'm good at..... still have no idea what that is.. .but......

But OP the theory of disconnecting the sensor and testing is the same..... seriously.... I swear!
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 05-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

Alfa Romeo 166 - lacking power in all gears

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions.
The clutch bites low and feels OK and is not slipping.
The rev counter is not working, but revs seem high when I accelerate in each gear.
All the lights on the dashboard are showing as normal.
The car was exhibiting poor performance before and after having a Service and Diagnostic Checking with the Alfa guys.
I wouldn't have the confidence or experience to tackle this job myself and am going to have it checked out with Gerry in TI autos as recommended above.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Hi. this is a picture of the 2.0 T Engine on our old 156.. the layout on the 166 will be the same. There is a RED BOX around the sensor you need to disconnect while the engine is off....

Attachment 145066

Then start up your car and drive around a little and see if there is an improvement.

This sensor meters/senses the volume/rate of air being ingested into the engine. When it's faulty is may cause the symptoms you're describing. When you disconnect this sensor the engines ECU (computer) knows it's missing and reverts back to using a stored set of values (guess work!) to manage the air fuel ratios etc.

Do you have the engine diagnostic light illuminated on your dashboard? Well if it was checked at an 'Alfa' garage they should have read the codes and cleared etc.. Having said that if it was connected to the Alfa software (Examiner) they should have picked up on the sluggish performance and 'dodgy' values on the air sensor... hmmmmm..

Was your car exhibiting the poor performance when the Alfa guys were working on it?

One other dumb question, sorry I have to ask, you said there was a clutch changed on your car recently.. Are the revs on the car climbing very high when accelerating? That is I wonder is the clutch slipping? Also, at what point do you feel your clutch peddle engage or bite? Is it low to the floor or nearly at the top?

Sorry can't be more helpful......
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Wise choice! Please keep us posted...
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 06-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

I have an appointment for Monday next and will keep you posted....
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 11-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

Left car with Gerry of TI autos this morning and am happy to say that he had the problem solved inside a couple of hours! He did a road test first and found vibration from the engine throughout rev range. He also checked the engine mountings and the valve timing which were both OK. He checked the balance shaft belt timing and discovered that it was not set correctly. This turned out to be the problem. He reset the balance shaft belt timing, then road tested again and found all OK. He also listed Torque cam shaft caps. So despite visiting TWO Alfa Romeo garages and using their "expertise" and their diagnostic equipment and having a full service from them, they did not manage to find or fix
the fault! The car is now once again, driving like it is meant to be thanks to everyone who corresponded with me on the forum and to Gerry and his crew from TI autos.
AO Silver Member

Cool! That's a good result.

Would have never thought the balancer shaft would have such an impact on performance.. that's interesting. And thanks for sharing!
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

All is well that ends well
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Can't go wrong with Gerry!
Your first port of call next time?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , 2001lacking , alfa , gears , litre , model , petrol , power , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page