Keys locked in the boot!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 10-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

05 GT 1.9 jtd

Keys locked in the boot!!

Had my 1st major mishap with the Alfa yesterday! I was out watching some motocross practice down at one of the tracks. Came back afterwards to the car, and opened the boot with the key before unlocking the car at all, to change my mucky boots. Anyways, put the key down in the boot, and just as I slammed the boot closed I realised my mistake.

Thankfully one of my friends had afew tools with him, including a nice tirelever to prise the glass in the passenger door opened enough (the car is a GT, so no doorframe!). They let me do all the pulling on the glass, always abit risk of smashing it ! I was able to shove in part of the doorseal also, which gave an extra 1/2 cm of room also. We had a long thin metal bar, that we could push in the corner of the doorframe. We tried to push the boot realise, and the central locking buttons 1stly, to no avail, Alfa obviously have thought about that, and nothing happens when you press them! Next thing up, we put a hook on the end of the bar, and managed to hook it onto the doorcatch, and pull it, which triggered the central locking to unlock!!

Happy days, I was back in business, thankfully I didn't go with one of my other friends suggestion that I just smash the glass, that there was no hope at all ha! (he even offered me a hammer :P).

The alarm did go off several times while attempting this, and the whole procedure took us over an hour, but I will admit that it was fairly easy to break into myown car

Also, I have no spare key for the car! Can I get a normal key cut, to allow access to the car if I have a similar problem, or loose the key etc again? I know I wont be able to start the car without the immobilizer, but it would get me out of jail if needs be.

Last edited by Timmay; 10-04-12 at 13:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Any decent locksmith should be able to cut you a blank key for access
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
Had my 1st major mishap with the Alfa yesterday! I was out watching some motocross practice down at one of the tracks. Came back afterwards to the car, and opened the boot with the key before unlocking the car at all, to change my mucky boots. Anyways, put the key down in the boot, and just as I slammed the boot closed I realised my mistake.

Thankfully one of my friends had afew tools with him, including a nice tirelever to prise the glass in the passenger door opened enough (the car is a GT, so no doorframe!). They let me do all the pulling on the glass, always abit risk of smashing it ! I was able to shove in part of the doorseal also, which gave an extra 1/2 cm of room also. We had a long thin metal bar, that we could push in the corner of the doorframe. We tried to push the boot realise, and the central locking buttons 1stly, to no avail, Alfa obviously have thought about that, and nothing happens when you press them! Next thing up, we put a hook on the end of the bar, and managed to hook it onto the doorcatch, and pull it, which triggered the central locking to unlock!!

Happy days, I was back in business, thankfully I didn't go with one of my other friends suggestion that I just smash the glass, that there was no hope at all ha! (he even offered me a hammer :P).

The alarm did go off several times while attempting this, and the whole procedure took us over an hour, but I will admit that it was fairly easy to break into myown car

Also, I have no spare key for the car! Can I get a normal key cut, to allow access to the car if I have a similar problem, or loose the key etc again? I know I wont be able to start the car without the immobilizer, but it would get me out of jail if needs be.
this is 1 thing I have thought about and always (hopefully) put keys in pocket when the boot is open. Without makeshift tool etc I would assume you would be well and truely stuffed....
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
So have you got the keys from the boot..
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 10-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

05 GT 1.9 jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne-dear View Post
So have you got the keys from the boot..

Quote:
Next thing up, we put a hook on the end of the bar, and managed to hook it onto the doorcatch, and pull it, which triggered the central locking to unlock!!
Car was unlocked then, so I was able to pull the backseats down and climb into the boot ha! I'm certainly going to get a basic key cut now, that will at least allow me to manually open the car if anything else similar did happen again, as I have no spare key!
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

I always dread this happening! I was warned when I bought my GT. I always unlock the car totally first then hit the boot open button...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
I always unlock the car totally first then hit the boot open button...

Same here better safe than locked out
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 10-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

05 GT 1.9 jtd

Hmm yeh, I think I'll do something like put a small bit of tipex, or bit of tape on the keyfob, and that will be my reminder to press the car unlock before I press the boot unlock ha, until it becomes instinctive to do it!
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Car was unlocked then, so I was able to pull the backseats down and climb into the boot ha!
Why didn't you just hit the boot release button on the dash?
Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
there's a boot release button on the dash

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
Probably because it was still disabled as the alarm was still active
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 10-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

05 GT 1.9 jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Probably because it was still disabled as the alarm was still active
Yep, that was the 1st thing I tried, it was very tricky to managed to poke that button with an 8mm or so metal rod in fairness!

I wasn't sure if even pulling the doorcatch would unlock the central locking, thankfully it did! But I suppose that is a safety feature to prevent you from being stuck inside the car!
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
I always dread this happening! I was warned when I bought my GT. I always unlock the car totally first then hit the boot open button...
I think you should open all doors like Nicolas Cage in this movie:

Matchstick Men Trailer - YouTube

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa GT

Hi,
Yes done the same today.
While putting car cover into boot I must have dropped my only key in there too, then closed the boot...
(I live in South Spain so no AA) Phoned a local lock smith (english guy called Ray no. 679 831 166) Came within an hour.

He opened it all with no damage done.

The locksmith also cut me a new key, once I had retrieved my set for him to copy for 20€.
This key will only open the doors as its not coded to start the engine (but its a basic spare & lots cheaper than buying a full coded key from alfa)

Total cost of locksmith was 100€

Note. No.1 I own a GT & the dead lock was not engaged.
No.2 You can get a copy of your metal key part copied anywhere. (only opens doors)
No.3 Trying this yourself. Be very carefull.
No.4 Use a profesional if unsure....

Last edited by Big Swamp Dog; 12-05-14 at 19:33. Reason: to much information
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 09-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

05 GT 1.9 jtd

Funny enough I locked the bloody keys in the boot again just last week also ha! Only other time I have managed this ha. Only reason it happened was the battery in the keyfob was on its way out, I had pressed the button to open the central locking before I opened the boot, which I always do, however the central locking didn't open, and I was unfortunate enough to close the boot with the keys inside. Had to get a lift home, and come back the next day with a bit of strong but light bar and same job again with the doorlatch.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
boot , keys , locked

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page