My 166 project - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
My 166 project

Right so i started it today and thought i would throw up some pics and stuff as i go with it...

first off was replacing the busted exhaust... what a pig of a job, trying to get it over that rear cross brase was a nightmare. had to grind down the old bolt holes and make some new ones which also took an ages.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...407_131823.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...407_131818.jpg

but thats done now. and she is kinda puring.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...407_135442.jpg

I also managed to get her started (jumped off my Levin) and i noticed a very tapety noise coming from the engine ... i topped up the oil so only thing i can think of is that its been a while since its been started and she is just running a little rough. but there is also no response from the accelerator, which has me confused, im assuming that they have an electronic throttle rather than a cable one ???

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...407_140712.mp4

anyone any ideas as to why im getting no throttle response and what that noise is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lacken156

Did you ever start or drive this car before today?

Does the oil light come on with the key at MAR?

DOES IT GO OFF once the car is started?

The noise could be the hydraulic tappets not been fully primed. let the car idle a while, it should quiten as it heats up

lack of throttle: is the engine management light on? you may nee dot get diagnostics done to read the error code. it could be that the plug is off at the throttle body? of that there is a bad connection or perhaps the car is in 'limp mode' & preventing you from reving it due to another issue

(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
Did you ever start or drive this car before today?

Does the oil light come on with the key at MAR?

DOES IT GO OFF once the car is started?

The noise could be the hydraulic tappets not been fully primed. let the car idle a while, it should quiten as it heats up

lack of throttle: is the engine management light on? you may nee dot get diagnostics done to read the error code. it could be that the plug is off at the throttle body? of that there is a bad connection or perhaps the car is in 'limp mode' & preventing you from reving it due to another issue
i drove it from naas to blanchardstown (Dublin) when i bought it. the noise wasnt there then.

let it warm up on idle. ok ill give that a shot. it hasnt been driven for about a month i would say atleast and the battery has been dead for that time.

any idea why the throttle wouldnt be doing anything or could that be related to the noise ??
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
could it be in limp mode? if you had to jump it, did you do a proper ecu reset procedure beforehand? is it a v6?
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
could it be in limp mode? if you had to jump it, did you do a proper ecu reset procedure beforehand? is it a v6?
yeah its a v6.. whats a proper ecu reset ?
Lacken156

is the engine management light on?

if not disconnect the battery, charge it fully & re-connect, it might clear the issue

(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
is the engine management light on?

if not disconenct the battery, charge it fully & re-connect, it might clear the issue
no lights on that i noticed. not out of the ordinary anyway... ill have to look again. might give it a try after lunch...
AO Silver Member

Make sure you have all the codes for the ics and sat nav.

1. Disconnect both terminals cables from the battery and leave for 45 mins and short the disconnected leads for a few second to discharge any residual charge in the various ecu's.
2. Reconnect the battery.
3. Turn ignition on but don't start the engine, leave for 90 secs - the motorised inlet throttle body will be whirring and clicking as it goes through its self test.
4. Turn the ignition off for 90 seconds.
5. Start the engine but don't move the throttle pedal, leave the engine ticking over until the engine warms up to 90c and the radiator fan comes on (switch off the air con as the fan will come on sooner if not) then turn off the engine.
7. Start the engine and go for a fast drive which uses all the gears for 15 mins.
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Make sure you have all the codes for the ics and sat nav.

1. Disconnect both terminals cables from the battery and leave for 45 mins and short the disconnected leads for a few second to discharge any residual charge in the various ecu's.
2. Reconnect the battery.
3. Turn ignition on but don't start the engine, leave for 90 secs - the motorised inlet throttle body will be whirring and clicking as it goes through its self test.
4. Turn the ignition off for 90 seconds.
5. Start the engine but don't move the throttle pedal, leave the engine ticking over until the engine warms up to 90c and the radiator fan comes on (switch off the air con as the fan will come on sooner if not) then turn off the engine.
7. Start the engine and go for a fast drive which uses all the gears for 15 mins.

thanks..... how does that work though with a battery that has no charge? do i need to charge it first or can i jump it when i start it ?
and would the ECU not have been reset when i started it before seeing as the battery was totally dead for like 3 weeks and had to be jumped?
AO Silver Member

don't know the exact details, I just copy/pasted this from the 164-166 section. however it fixed my gearbox, ics and central locking issues.
(Post Link) post #11 of 17 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
don't know the exact details, I just copy/pasted this from the 164-166 section. however it fixed my gearbox, ics and central locking issues.
ok well ill give it a shot on monday then when i get home. still have to blead the brakes though so wont be driving it too hard just yet, if at all.
Lacken156

check that the oil light is actually coming ON before you start the engine & OFF when the engine is running. if it stays on you have low oiil pressure.

AO Silver Member

County: Tipperary
That engine sounds sick to me, hard to tell from a video but it sounds like a mechanical issue. I hope its not but it sounds like something expensive.
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 09-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

i dont know if the engine is sick.

having just gone out to have alook at her again, it starts on the button (with a jump) and sht will sit there idling. however while idling she is hunting, (very very low RPM). it seems that maybe the battery isnt charged enough and there isnt enough of a charge coming from the engine since its not spilling up enough, because the radio isnt working (it was before) and the dash console dials arnt registering temp, fuel or RMP ... i think ill have to pull the battery out and charge it properly. so i dont have to jump it. then i can try that ECU reset. i also have to check the fuse panel... would the throttle run of a relay or fuse?

having been sitting up with no charge so long the jump start may have blowen a fuse or 2. where is the panel ?
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA ALL THE WAY

In the boot on at the front right see pic.

I think there are others behind the ecu and a main ecu fuse on the back of the ecu, not 100% on that though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuses.jpg (18.4 KB, 3 views)
Lacken156

fuse sin the boot, fuses in-between the wipers under a panel, others to the right of the steering wheel/

no fuses near the ecu itself.

(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 17-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
fuse sin the boot, fuses in-between the wipers under a panel, others to the right of the steering wheel/

no fuses near the ecu itself.
the one by the steering wheel is just for stuff inside the cab, they are all grand.
just had alook at the one in the boot and nothing is gone there, but need to get my multimeter and check the relays.
the one between the wiper blade i have 1 blowen fuse. green 30 amp... anyone have any fuse diagrams so i see what it is for.. ?

the fuses in this car are bloody massive.

so with luck replacing that one and the throttle will work again....

Last edited by dublevin; 17-04-12 at 19:13.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , project

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page