Alfa Romeo GT JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 20-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

BMW E36

Alfa Romeo GT JTD

Hi to all who read this thread!

Probably have loads of these threads, if so, sorry, but thought I'd start my own

I'm in the market for a 1.9-2.0 Diesel, was looking at Golf GT TDI and some Audi's. There aint many Golf GT TDI's and finding the right audi with right spec etc can be hard

I then came across Alfa Romeo GT JTD, I'd never even consider an Alfa Romeo due to bad reliability etc, after reading a fair bit it seems this isn't entirely true, well atleast not anymore anyway

I've seen some very nice 04 Models with everything I want, great price, great car and I'm not sure why I haven't bought it already! I thought I'd take a calmer approach when buying this car and come here to see if any experienced people are willing to point me in the right direction or show me what I should look out for.

Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD 02DR - €6,250 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland - This is one I like specifically.

So basically, if you could use a time machine would you have done anything differently when purchasing this car, wish you checked for this that and this... etc, what would you have done differently?

Absolutely stunning car, please push me over the edge and make me purchase! PLEEEEAAASEEEE

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading, if you made it this far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Welcome to AO

Have a look here

Alfa Romeo GT Buyer's Guide

(Post Link) post #3 of 34 Old 20-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

BMW E36

Thanks EVEL

Now it all makes sense, these forums are backwards lol new posts are at the top. Odd.

Will put the guide to good use. if anyone has any personal experience with this specific model they'd like to share, please feel free to share!

Cheers
Lacken156

Timing belt & water pump MUST be replaced every 4 years or 50k miles. If its not done budget €600'ish to get it done. DMF & Clutchs are expensive so make sure they are good or recently replaced, thier life time is 100k MAX.

AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Thanks EVEL

Now it all makes sense, these forums are backwards lol new posts are at the top. Odd.

Cheers
Have a look here , you need to change an option in your profile

posts-are-all-reversed-in-threads

I've had my GT nearly a year and had no problems

Just make sure cam belts have been done

The windows have a tendacy to play up , quick reset usually sorts this.

Take it for a good testdrive and listen out for any knocks/creaking ,
(Post Link) post #6 of 34 Old 20-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

BMW E36

Cheers guys, appreciate your comments.

My god EVEL that is one stunning car you have and great photos (just clicked your signature).

I'm just... lost... am I dreaming? What's going on. I'm (hoping) to buy this Alfa that I linked. Surely something has gone wrong somewhere, the prices are broken? This just seems to good to be true. How can this car be cheaper than a Golf, I just don't understand. It seems to be such a good deal, I feel like I'm being scammed!

Too good to be true and all that.

Will check this one out and see if theres anything wrong with it, maybe it is a dream!
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Cheers guys, appreciate your comments.

My god EVEL that is one stunning car you have and great photos (just clicked your signature).

I'm just... lost... am I dreaming? What's going on. I'm (hoping) to buy this Alfa that I linked. Surely something has gone wrong somewhere, the prices are broken? This just seems to good to be true. How can this car be cheaper than a Golf, I just don't understand. It seems to be such a good deal, I feel like I'm being scammed!

Too good to be true and all that.

Will check this one out and see if theres anything wrong with it, maybe it is a dream!
No you are not dreaming Rakshasa. Alfa Romeos are very cheap at the moment. A whole lot of car for the money and far better than a Golf

Have a thorough read of the buyers guide. As said above ensure the cambelt has been done along with the waterpump in the specified mileage / timeframe.

I recall from my research on GTs that the 2004 GTs had issues with the suspension (I can't for the life of me recall exactly what the issue was) but this was apparently rectified on the 2005+ models. It may or may not be worth looking into.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Thankyou :smug:

There's 2004 diesel GT's over here on autotrader with 80,000 miles on the clock going for £4000ish

Test drive it , if it feels right buy it
AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Looks clean and tidy in the pictures
AO Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

05 GT 1.9 jtd

Quote:
I'd never even consider an Alfa Romeo due to bad reliability etc,
Quote:
You answered yourown question before you even asked it! Simple as is, Alfas deprecate waaay more then golfs/audis etc, because so many possible buyers just rule out getting an Alfa, based on bad reliability (which was unfortunately true for early 156s/146s)! Bad news for anyone who buys an Alfa new, but great if your looking for out for the likes of an 04/05, which has lost the worst of its deprecation!

In terms of the GT, I picked up one a month ago, I would echo what was said, timing belt and DMF are the two key issues with the 150bhp mjet engine. Also, from personal experience, Double check what exactly was changed when the garage did the clutch on it. My folks bought a vectra from them, with the same 150bhp engine in it, clutch let go after about 50/60k km, brought it into a "reputable opel dealer" to get replaced (cough, the same one in that donedeal ad!), about 10,000km later the clutch goes again, turns out they only replaced the clutch release bearing 1st time out, so full new clutch pack goes in. About 5,000km later the DMF packs in!!, horrible rattle from the car at low rpm!

Very annoying issue, the biggest single cost each time was the labour, if you have to go to the effort of dropping the gearbox to get at the clutch, the flywheel and all should be changed then.

Last edited by Timmay; 21-03-12 at 13:27.
Lacken156

Timmay I don;t think its a good idea to slate of a certain garage mid post. PLease edit your post using a more vague reference to something like 'a certain garage in Wicklow'

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Good luck with your search for a GT, they are a great looking car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
Timmay I don;t think its a good idea to slate of a certain garage mid post. PLease edit your post using a more vague reference to something like 'a certain garage in Wicklow'
There's no problem posting facts based on personal experience
(Post Link) post #13 of 34 Old 21-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

BMW E36

Nice one Timmay, if somebody has an experience like that, the only way from stopping it happening again is to share your experience like you have done! I'm not going to go in and down right accuse him of anything, I'll just keep my eye out for **** like that. Cheers

Just saw one on here for 4k GBP aswell think that's the one your talking about EVEL. VRT seems to only be 1100EUR so still works out cheaper than the one on Carzone!

I feel like a child at Christmas, planning my Christmas list and looking through toy magazines lol

I remember, maybe a year ago, I seen this car on the M1. I said to myself, my god that guy must be one rich ******* to afford that car. Now 1 year later, it turns out its well within my budget. Now I get to pretend I'm a Rich ******* haha (no offense to any rich *******s out there)
Damien_C

Where are you based Rakshasa? If you want I can take a look at cars for ya man.

AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

That GT looks nice - colour, spec, work done. I bought a 2004 UK GT in the UK in 2008 and needed to get it waxoyled last year due to rust appearing on the underbody. Something to keep in mind when looking at cars in Ireland vs the UK. Saying that, rust could become an issue over here in the next few years.

I was half thinking of selling my GT a while ago. Can't remember what I was going to ask, but feel it was less than that one. Higher mileage, but stuff like Q2 and suspension upgrade, so not sure what to make of Linnane's asking price.

Best of luck, tis a great car.

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!
Lacken156

(Post Link) post #17 of 34 Old 21-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

BMW E36

Alright Damien... what a generous offer man! I luckily have a mate who has driven a few Alfas and knows his **** when it comes to cars, or so he lets on!

But nice one for the offer man, never expected that!!!

goin to have a look at one tomorrow, hopefully its as good as he says it is
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
I'd take the car to TI autos for full inspection... Gerry can spot (and price) things I know I would miss. I'm not sure if Pat (Lacken) is still offering this service, but iirc he was also willing to travel to check out a car for you.
I'd have a look at Damien's car before I'd ask him to have a look at cars... he'll talk you out of buyng the car just because it's missing a 4 cubic meter subwoofer in the boot
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post

That car has been for sale for a while now, price reduced every so often. Nothing odd there these days, but I think a previous ad had more detail of work done - stuff like a turbo maybe.
(Post Link) post #20 of 34 Old 22-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

BMW E36

Cheers for the advice chaps..

Checked the car out today, in great condition, everything checked out, 3 month warranty any few small niggles which will be fixed before I get the car, very small things anyway!

So I decided to go for, put the deposit down and will hopefully pick it up on Wednesday as he has to order 1 part for it before I collect it. 4 days delivery times a *****, so it hasn't really kicked in that i actually own one yet haha

Can't bloody wait until Wednesday, tuesday if i'm really lucky haha

Much prefer Black lether to red leather interior... and the colour of this model is just perfect. well taken care of, lots of work done on it in this specific garage, all the main stuff that needs replacing... with a 3 month warranty aswell, should be grand!

Guess you'll all see more of me on the forums now!

Roll on wednesday!

County: Cork
Garage
Congrats in advance on the GT, well wear
Damien_C

Quote:
Alright Damien... what a generous offer man! I luckily have a mate who has driven a few Alfas and knows his **** when it comes to cars, or so he lets on!

But nice one for the offer man, never expected that!!!

goin to have a look at one tomorrow, hopefully its as good as he says it is
No bother at all any time we are all here to help one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
I'd take the car to TI autos for full inspection... Gerry can spot (and price) things I know I would miss. I'm not sure if Pat (Lacken) is still offering this service, but iirc he was also willing to travel to check out a car for you.
I'd have a look at Damien's car before I'd ask him to have a look at cars... he'll talk you out of buyng the car just because it's missing a 4 cubic meter subwoofer in the boot
Lol, the cheek of you, get outta my country

AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:
Much prefer Black lether to red leather interior.

Congrats on the purchase mate , cant wait to see some proppa pics
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Great a GT , one of the best kept secrets around , Great car and good luck with it
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Wow that was quick, congratulations

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , jtd , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page