Insurance!! it confuses me - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
Insurance!! it confuses me

You know i would love to know where these insurance companies get their information from for their quotes sometimes... or even what basis they go on for a quote.

right so at the mo i drive a Toyota Levin, Jap import job.. and of course insurance companies dont like them and as such give high premiums to the owners ... if they even insure them at all, which most companies dont.. luckily im with Quinn and have been since before they even knew what the car was, so they cant really refuse me insurance. paying about 700 a year fully comp with all the extras at 30 with 11 years claim free license and 9 (i think) years NCB on my own policy..

Now i come to get a quote for this alfa 166 that i bought. 2.5 V6 1999... what do you think the price would be on that? with Quinn (or Liberty as it is now) they want an extra 55 to cover me till my policy is up in April.. ok fair enough im changing car... what ever. get a fresh quote they say 750 (ish) tpo for a new year with them on the back of my existing policy. a little high but its a bigger car (even if not any more powerfull)
now because its not a jap car i thought ok ill try 123.ie online... and wouldn't you know it they offer me 400 fully comp with all the bells or 350 with most of the bells....

how in the name of god is there such a dramatic difference in price between 123 and ex-Quinn? what are the differences between the car with one and the other? thats in insane price difference, now bare in mind that with ex-Quinn i have an existing policy and with 123 i have never had a policy... I would love to know what they are basing the quote on that they are twice the price of the other.

Its insane.

what are you guys paying on yours??? and have you come across anything as ridiculous as that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Limerick
You're wasting your time trying to understand insurance premiums, their seems to be no method to their madness, just to get as much out of you as they can, I have been with AA for a few years now, I'm 34, full No Claims Discount and paying 580 fully comp on my Fiat coupe 20V Turbo, I was quoted over 1100 from other companies, you just have to shop around and try to haggle a bit.
AO Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Punto GT

i recently bought a 147 1.6 and i was changing insurance from a punto on to it and i got a rebate of €52.80 and my policy ends at the start of october .I only paid €405 for the punto policy bigger engine slightly faster and it went down on price with fbd im not complaining tho lol
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

it just boggles the mind that, these companies are all meant to be on cahoots with each other a dn yet they are cutting themselves out of the market... i mean i could understand 100 euro extra or less but twice the price? thats just insane. and twice the price when you already have a policy with that company? thats even worse.

i mean i can understand why im paying 600 odd on the Levin, because it has gained a rep over the years since i have owned it and there have more come onto the market and the roads. and i can understand why some companies will cover the car and others wont, but those that do cover it have generally god roughly the same price on it.

i mean i can even get a GTA for less than im paying on the Levin and again i can understand cos there are **** all of them on the road and so have a very very low claim rate with the owners, and an unknown reputation. at least in this country

its just .... i dont know. its mental.

its like if Tescos sold a can of beans for 0.50 C and dunnes sold the same can for 0.40 C then tesco would prob reduce their price to 0.39C ... surely these insurance companies actually want our money?
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Just called Aviva last week for a new.policy fo a GTV 2.0.... Already have two.policies with them.....

Aviva quoted 630 or something like that.. Axa quoted 430-ish for pretty much the same product....

?????????????
Damien_C

I think, they literally just pull them outta their arse.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

its gas really. When youre 18 they tell you need to be 21, when youre 21 they tell you 25 and 25 then you need to be 30 . Between 30 and 45 ish youre almost fine ! . Then at 50 youre getting dimentia and youre a liability . So youre back to getting policies that get dearer ! . Isnt it great !

And to answer the question , Insurance also depends on your occupation as well , and some occupations can increase your premiums ! So Insurance Companies have an unending list of items to push up your premium !
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
its gas really. When youre 18 they tell you need to be 21, when youre 21 they tell you 25 and 25 then you need to be 30 . Between 30 and 45 ish youre almost fine ! . Then at 50 youre getting dimentia and youre a liability . So youre back to getting policies that get dearer ! . Isnt it great !

And to answer the question , Insurance also depends on your occupation as well , and some occupations can increase your premiums ! So Insurance Companies have an unending list of items to push up your premium !
Then at 50 youre getting dementia and you're a raving madman!!!!

I think 123.ie are aggressively chasing more market share at the moment.
Next year their renewals will probably be mad - I've both our daily drivers with them...
€420 for me 166TS and €280odd for her 97 Primera 1.6 both comp with full bonus protection
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

340 for the V6 (in my wifes name!) and 325 for the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuudi Ah 1 ( Both Comp).. The Company van (comp) is 275 !

Its because we live in the country ..

Oh thats another item to consider for Insurance companies . ! The list is endless !
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
It baffles me no end..

FTO to 1.5 Civic...... It went down, naturally.
Civic to 2.0 Celica......... Back up, of course.
Celica to 166 TS.......... Up, again.. WTF..?
166 to Spider TS....... Up..? Nah...down, and down "a lot"... Madness, I tells ya...Pure madness..
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Blame it on the coneheads who calculate the premiums...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coneheads.jpg (7.4 KB, 26 views)
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
I think, they literally just pull them outta their arse.
Agreed!
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Insurance companies are "obliged" to quote you. The fact that its stupid expensive, just means they don't want your business, and they know you won't accept it. It covers them legally.

I'd love to win the Lotto, and accept a 20k premium for a "Mini".. Just to pee them off..!!
AO Member

County: Tipperary
Some of ye guys are running a few cars, do ye get multi car policies? thinking of getting a 145 small engine to help keep the brera fresh

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
confuses , insurance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page