Advice on a second Alfa for fun and frolics - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 47 Old 06-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

Advice on a second Alfa for fun and frolics

Howdy folks,

I need some advice..

I have been toying with the idea of getting a second car over past few months. I guess Im going through a mid-life crisis like Cathal and George I want the car mainly as a summer fun / weekend car and in the future start doing track days with it. It would hardly be used during the weekdays.

I have been seriously contemplating a V6. But with running costs / tax / insurance getting more expensive by the day, this idea is really putting me off I know it will be expensive to run but Id like to hear from V6 owners if this is sustainable with a second car?

The other idea is to get something with a smaller engine capacity such as a 156/GTV 2.0TS. But seeing as I have a 1.8TS GT at the moment, Im guessing this might be pretty pointless with the similarities? I know the 2.0 GTV/156 would be quicker than my existing, but is buying a second car worth it just for this?

I guess I should say that I would like something that has a bit more power and is quicker than my GT (for those of who are unfamiliar its 140bhp and weighs circa 1,300 1,400kgs).

My budget: 2,000 - 3,000
Has to be Petrol
Much horses as possible at this budget
I would like to hold onto the GT, for long journeys and everyday use.

Any advice welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
......well on the insurance front AXA do a nice little deal imo... just found this out literally last Friday.

You can buy a policy for 12 months, drive the car for the summer, then return the disc & Cert in the Autumn, and AXA will refund something like 90% of the remainder of the policy value, BUT! your car will still be insured for Fire and theft for the remainder of the 12 months. I thought that was nice.. anyone know if other companies do this??

I got a quote for a new policy (without transferring my NCB) with AXA for euro430 for the year, comp. with euro300 excess, breakdown cover, windscreen cover etc etc for the GTV 2.0.

My current insurer Avia were looking for just under €600!

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

mo4
AO Member

County: -
Fiat Coupe Turbo ....... oh **** that's not an Alfa. But it does tick all your boxes.
(Post Link) post #4 of 47 Old 06-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
Fiat Coupe Turbo ....... oh **** that's not an Alfa. But it does tick all your boxes.
I have definitly considered it. There are a few for sale. 20VT would be class. If only alfa hadn't invented the busso V6 I would already have bought a fiat coupe
(Post Link) post #5 of 47 Old 06-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
......well on the insurance front AXA do a nice little deal imo... just found this out literally last Friday.

You can buy a policy for 12 months, drive the car for the summer, then return the disc & Cert in the Autumn, and AXA will refund something like 90% of the remainder of the policy value, BUT! your car will still be insured for Fire and theft for the remainder of the 12 months. I thought that was nice.. anyone know if other companies do this??

I got a quote for a new policy (without transferring my NCB) with AXA for euro430 for the year, comp. with euro300 excess, breakdown cover, windscreen cover etc etc for the GTV 2.0.

My current insurer Avia were looking for just under 600!
Cheers Cathal, that's good to know. I'm with Quinn cough I mean Liberty Insurance, they do offer discounts for a second policy but I must look into it further....
Lacken156

buy a 2.oTS 'Track Day' car ...... strip it out, go to Mondello once a Month, its Grreeeeaaat fun

AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
buy a 2.oTS 'Track Day' car ...... strip it out, go to Mondello once a Month, its Grreeeeaaat fun
Thats a great idea!

I think the Alfa v6 is a car that everyone should have for a while, perfect second car but your looking at about 800 for 6months tax for a GTA.
it just doesn't make sense as a main car with the running costs.
Id say a 2.5 156 would not be hugely different to the GTA, your still getting the v6 without all the expense! If you can find a good one it could be tremendous fun.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Paddy.. what is the suspension durability like on the GTA out of interest?
Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1982 View Post
Thats a great idea!

I think the Alfa v6 is a car that everyone should have for a while, perfect second car but your looking at about 800 for 6months tax for a GTA.
it just doesn't make sense as a main car with the running costs.
Id say a 2.5 156 would not be hugely different to the GTA, your still getting the v6 without all the expense! If you can find a good one it could be tremendous fun.
I know of a V6 SW currently been built as a Track Day car, hoping to make its debut St. Patricks day at Mondello, in the afternoon session.

(Post Link) post #10 of 47 Old 06-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Thats a great idea!

It's painful

I was seriously interested in that 2003 147 GTA for sale on donedeal. But at 4k its a bit over my budget. Never contacted the guy selling actually. If I got it for 3k I would nearly consider buying it.

The 2.0TS 'track day' car is a great idea Pat, but i'm an awful hoor for the power and torque though I won't discount it though. A 2.0TS can be picked up pretty cheap, I just had a quick look on DD.
Lacken156

then if i were you I'd look for a 2.5 V6 156 ...... I have a black 2.5 V6 Saloon that I could be presuaded to part with

AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Paddy.. what is the suspension durability like on the GTA out of interest?
She had a autodelta lower kit put in about 5 years ago iirc, since then it's been raised 1.5" that's it, no parts/rattles/knocks although it's not driven on bad roads and I avoid potholes like Rob avoids buying coffee...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
She had a autodelta lower kit put in about 5 years ago iirc, since then it's been raised 1.5" that's it, no parts/rattles/knocks although it's not driven on bad roads and I avoid potholes like Rob avoids buying coffee...
Oi... That's uncalled for
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
I'm thinking one of those engines in my 156, I was going to V6 it but a Fiat coope engine is the way forward I cannot not have no Turbo power in my life

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Hi MJ, if you want it to start off as a weekender with a view to goingon a track I dont think a stripped out TS would be what you want. Do you have a garage for storage because I'm gonna suggest something a bit older than the 90s.
I presume as well you are not looking for a car that needs anything done to it, just jump in and drive away?
Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
Hi MJ, if you want it to start off as a weekender with a view to goingon a track I dont think a stripped out TS would be what you want. Do you have a garage for storage because I'm gonna suggest something a bit older than the 90s.
I presume as well you are not looking for a car that needs anything done to it, just jump in and drive away?
what is your suggestion?

(Post Link) post #17 of 47 Old 07-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
well Mark.. yeah where I am at the moment is in an underground car park where I would plan to leave the second car. The underground is not an ideal workshop as most of tools / oil / trolley jacks etc is kept in the apartment itself. I get by though.

Yeah looking for something I can just jump in an drive off on. I don't mind if the car needs a little TLC every now again- that's expected and I do enjoy it. I don't anticipate I will be doing huge mileage in it. Suggestion sounds interesting, what is it?
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
well mark.. Yeah where i am at the moment is in an underground car park where i would plan to leave the second car. The underground is not an ideal workshop as most of tools / oil / trolley jacks etc is kept in the apartment itself. I get by though.

Yeah looking for something i can just jump in an drive off on. I don't mind if the car needs a little tlc every now again- that's expected and i do enjoy it. I don't anticipate i will be doing huge mileage in it. Suggestion sounds interesting, what is it?
a gtv6?
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
I'm thinking one of those engines in my 156, I was going to V6 it but a Fiat coope engine is the way forward I cannot not have no Turbo power in my life
Translation please?
You can't live without a turbo?
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsbaby View Post
a gtv6?
Oh yes! I'm mad for a gtv6 or a 75!
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsbaby View Post
Translation please?
You can't live without a turbo?
Meant to say, cannot not have turbo power in my life.

(Post Link) post #22 of 47 Old 07-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

There was a GTV6 for sale in Tipp. Looks lovely. The 75 is also pretty sweet. Both RWD
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

well was thinking along the lines of both of those actually but for track and weekend fun a Sud Sprint would fit the bill, especially as you have underground dry storage, unless it floods of course Also you have your budget for buying but if you get a V6 have you budgeted for tax and fuel which is not going to go down. V6s are thirsty.
I heard the gtv6 in tipp was not to be touched so not sure about that one, they are rare as hens teeth over here although a sprint is rarer.
I recently bought a 75 myself for the exact same reason, the price as well of course. It was well affordable. IT needs a lot of work which I hope to start on soon enough. I intend bringing it to a few OCtane Track Days and go from there.
I think you have to decide which is going to get more use, weekend let your hair down sort of thing or track use. I was thinking about an S3 spider, for weekend fun, something like this car for sale in Carlow : €5,950 - DoneDeal.ie (he is asking too much for it) you could track it aswell. You could also look at a few Lancias, Thema turbo would be one seriously enjoyable car and would be perfect for both. Integrale is too expensive and very hard and costly to maintain, Otherwise to go rear wheel Alfa start off with a 75/GTV and go from there. There are a few Suds knocking about but I would personally go for a Sprint. Whatever you do dont buy a money pit. Something cheap and cheerful that fits your budgetand is easily maintained. It doesnt have to be Alfa but should be Italian, look at a few FIATs as well. FIAT had some belters back in the day.

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends
Lacken156

If you want a '92 75 2.o TS Limited Edition send me a PM. I have an ideal canidate for the job.

Lacken156

Quote:
I heard the gtv6 in tipp was not to be touched so not sure about that one .....
didn't a fella form Cork , a member here, buy the GTV6 that was for sale in Tipp. its a fine looking car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
advice , alfa , frolics , fun

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page