Advice about Alfa 159 TI - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 05-03-12 Thread Starter

County: Cork

Member car:

Advice about Alfa 159 TI

Hi,

That's my first post here and I'm looking some advice as I'm considering importing from UK a 159 TI (though still also considering a Giulietta) and I would like to see if anyone has any of these around here or has brought his car from UK.

I usually drive around Cork or trips to West Cork, how "bad" is driving around these roads with the 19' alloys? Would make a huge difference to opt for the 18' ones?
I currently drive a 147 with 16'... so that's not a big deal now.

As well as, does anyone has a good experience with any Uk Alfa dealer for buying the car and that can be recommended? Any idea how much do they usually knock-off price by cash payment?

Thanks in advance!

Lluis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Hello Lluis,

Lots of people now interested in 159s recently! I bought two 159s in from England since 2008... one was a Ti, the second was a Lusso spec.

The 19" wheels and Ti suspension do cause the car to become 'skittish' on bad roads no doubt. I live in Cork too and travel to Bandon, Clon etc... if you see trail of slow moving traffic, you wont find a tractor at the top, I'll be me avoiding potholes and bumps!!!

While the suspension is not 'rock hard', long drives do become tiring as you’re constantly reading the road looking for the best bits to drive on… just my opinion. On good roads (motorways and twisties) it's good fun (as can be expected from a FWD).

For the tyres themselves have a look at this thread:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...he-159-ti.html

There is also a thread on a 159 hunt on at the moment too:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...g-a-159-a.html

Buying in from the UK is pretty straightforward.. the UK dealers seem to price realistically…. I only got stg1000 off the Ti at the time and only stg400 off the Lusso…

Are you serious about traveling with stg cash? If you have a credit card, then lodge the cash to the card and pay with your Ccard over there.. it's very safe. Also make the dealer absorb the cross border charge if you’re buying with a credit card.. .that charge can add up!

If you've any specific quesions on the car do shout away..

Best of luck with your hunt...

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

Last edited by Cathal_H; 05-03-12 at 10:07.

Garage
Welcome to AO Lluis

Cathal has provided some useful info & links above, hopefully that helps you, good luck with your search whichever Alfa you decide to go for
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Hello Lluis,

Lots of people now interested in 159s recently! I bought two 159s in from England since 2008... one was a Ti, the second was a Lusso spec.

The 19" wheels and Ti suspension do cause the car to become 'skittish' on bad roads no doubt. I live in Cork too and travel to Bandon, Clon etc... if you see trail of slow moving traffic, you wont find a tractor at the top, I'll be me avoiding potholes and bumps!!!

While the suspension is not 'rock hard', long drives do become tiring as you’re constantly reading the road looking for the best bits to drive on… just my opinion. On good roads (motorways and twisties) it's good fun (as can be expected from a FWD).

For the tyres themselves have a look at this thread:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...he-159-ti.html

There is also a thread on a 159 hunt on at the moment too:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...g-a-159-a.html

Buying in from the UK is pretty straightforward.. the UK dealers seem to price realistically…. I only got stg1000 off the Ti at the time and only stg400 off the Lusso…

Are you serious about traveling with stg cash? If you have a credit card, then lodge the cash to the card and pay with your Ccard over there.. it's very safe. Also make the dealer absorb the cross border charge if you’re buying with a credit card.. .that charge can add up!

If you've any specific quesions on the car do shout away..

Best of luck with your hunt...
Most people would charge for advice of that quality!
But Cathal you're not most people!!!
AO Silver Member

Why thank you sir... I'll take that as a complement.... .......wait a minute!

Last edited by Cathal_H; 05-03-12 at 11:26.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 05-03-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Hi Cathal / All,

Thanks for the quick answers!

Well, driving a "tractor" is probably not one of my dreams! so maybe I try to get the dealer to change it to the 18' alloys and I can drive with mopped speed...

Thanks for the links, I was following some of them previously and also seen lots of threads about the wheel alignment, etc.

Didn't know about the credit card loading, so will check with the bank, will make things much easier for sure!

I'll take your offer and shout some more questions...

- Any extra that is really worth it and can be considered a must? (Bose, electric seats, sunroof,...)

- I wasn't aware of any cross border charge, is this only specific to using a credit card?

- Did you get any AA/RAC test done to the cars you bought? Are they really worth?
I'm planning to buy a 1-2 years old car so it will still carry a few months of alfa warranty.

That's enough I think!

Thanks!

Lluis
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Why thank you sir... I'll take that as a complement.... .......wait a minute!
It was a compliment!!!
AO Silver Member

Test drive one if you can before you buy... that would be my advice... I'm happy to live with the 19"s purely for aesthetic reasons.. Yes, I’m a bit shallow..

The electric heated seats with the memory function, is all fine, but in really how many times do you use it??!! I would imagine those seats with all the motors etc would be heaver than a standard seat.. so technically that’s not good.

Yes, I got charged both times with the 'cross border charge'… the garage/seller will assume since you’re from Ireland you’ll definitely want to drive home in the car and not budge on price nor this bank charge.. I was prepared to walk and head to the nearest pub. So they negotiated (phew!!). With the Ti the dealer absorbed the charge, with the Lusso the dealer met me half way.. fair enough I guess..

I didn’t get the cars checked out by AA etc, but I did do a HPI check on them. This is a brilliant insurance policy and worth the 20 ro 30 quid. You'll need to phone HPI Check - Used Car History, Finance, Write Off & Vehicle Data as your Irish address will not have a UK postcode.. therefore the online purchase will not go through.

HPI will offer you 2 weeks of insurance, don't bother you're not covered!

If you're getting a HPI you should purchase the check, don't accept the garages/sellers copy of the report... Here's why:

If the HPI on the car is all clear, and subsequently the car turns out to have been a write off they will refund you the price of the car.. this only applies to the person who bought the HPI check.

… The Ti was 6 months old when I bought it so it had 2 years Alfa warranty and 1 year AlfaCare warranty. Check the terms and conditions, in my case when you re-reg the AlfaCare warranty isn’t worth the paper its’ written on.

Have a read off this thread:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-actuator.html

Especially this one:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/3564982-post32.html

and this:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/4100190-post35.html

Basically I had a stretched timing chain on the 2.2 and was VERY lucky to get the money from AlfaCare…Once the actual Alfa Romeo warrny is up on the car then go to an ALFA/FIAT garage and purchase additional warranty cover from MAPFRE:

MAPFRE Warranty

If you have to pay for repairs it's euro1000 for the chain, and it was euro600 for the tensioner.

Best of luck with the hunt....
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 05-03-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I wonder, is there any dealer/place around Cork where to try a 19' TI? haven't seen any adverts at all.

One thing is not fully clear to me, this cross border charge is only because of the credit card payment? If this is done by cask or bank transfer, then is not required anymore?
If it applies always how can I estimate it to negotiate this with the reseller?

Thanks for the mapfre link... I wasn't aware of these insurances.

I'm starting my search for a 2.0 JTD 170bhp but because until April I can't go there for a long weekend... still feels like plenty of time to find the perfect match.

Thanks again!
AO Silver Member

Yes the cross border charge is with credit card transactions.. it's a 1.75% charge on non € zone transaction. (well it was back in the day)..

And you can't buy a policy from Mapfre directly.. you have to go though a dealership..

The closest Ti is in Kerry at the moment:

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDM 150 Bhp Diesel - TI Model - TOP SPEC DIESEL - €14,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

Garage
Nice Ti but it's on the original 18" Ti wheels not the 19" if the OP is looking to see how the Ti drives on 19"
AO Silver Member

meh! what's one inch between friends!!

Garage
Probably a lot less than the price difference between 18" & 19" tyres
AO Silver Member

..now you said it....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , advice , alfa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page