Anyone know of a 2 litre t spark for sale - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 03-03-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
tuborg_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Meath
Posts: 20
Anyone know of a 2 litre t spark for sale

So 2 years and 15 k miles later since the last change the timing belt decided to go snap snap on the gtv,
My mother was driving it at the time and tried to restart it so i'm sure it'll be new engine time, does any one know of a 2 litre ts for sale at a lovely price and roughly how much labour doees it take to swap them round.
Will prob go to don baker for the work and I should ring him as he probably has an engine but want to check here first.
Think i've driven less than 400 miles in her since i bought her.
Ah i'm just waffling now, on the bright side i get to drive around in a 660 cc subaru vivio for a while, oh wait,,,,,



edit oh and can a 156 2 litre ts fit the gtv, thanks
tuborg_man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Formerly 166, GT, 147,155,33
AO Silver Member
 
CCOVICH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 2,429

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Don has a quite a few cars sitting on the yard, including a few 166s, so I'd say there's a 2.0 TS in one of them.
CCOVICH is offline  
Status: #keepFightingMichael
AO Gold Member
 
EauRouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suriname
County: Brokopondo
Posts: 7,703
pm sent tuborg man, ps: i can install it also.
EauRouge is offline  
Status: #keepFightingMichael
AO Gold Member
 
EauRouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suriname
County: Brokopondo
Posts: 7,703
Just thought! you might be better buying shells and doing the bottom end, relatively cheap fix but not easy with engine in car and bolting a new head ontop to cancel having to rebuild topend. I would split engine and sell topend if that makes it easier for you?
EauRouge is offline  
Davffc
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuborg_man View Post


edit oh and can a 156 2 litre ts fit the gtv, thanks
Yes, straight swap though you might need to swap ancilliaries depending on whether your car is cf1 2 or 3.

The 166 ts I think has different castings though
 
Lacken156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
remove the head, fit a good replacement, new head gasket & timing belt kit. No need fror an engine change.
 
mo4
Status: back in a 156
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland
County: -
Posts: 731
Sorry to hear of your belt failure

If you know the engine is otherwise good, ie well looked after and serviced etc then I would stick a second hand head on it with a new set of belts.

Getting a good second hand engine is not easy, and it's such a big job to fit, you'd want to be sure it's a good one.
IMO the only way to do this is to buy a spare car rather than an engine. You can test it and run it before fitting. Any 2.0ts engine will fit afaik, although the closer to your own in age will mean less ancillaries to change.

Good luck!
mo4 is offline  
Lacken156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I have a good 2 litre engine, fitted a car at present, can be started & test driven. New timing belt kit fitted. recently serviced too. 112k miles.

PM or e-mail if you want more details

lacken156 at gmail.com
 
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,824
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
Sorry to hear of your belt failure

If you know the engine is otherwise good, ie well looked after and serviced etc then I would stick a second hand head on it with a new set of belts.

Getting a good second hand engine is not easy, and it's such a big job to fit, you'd want to be sure it's a good one.
IMO the only way to do this is to buy a spare car rather than an engine. You can test it and run it before fitting. Any 2.0ts engine will fit afaik, although the closer to your own in age will mean less ancillaries to change.

Good luck!
Morgan where have you been hiding?
Mufasa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 518
when was last belt change? Head change will suffice no need for engines change. I would take off head and assess damage before i do anything. The twin spark head and reasonable tolerance for skimming, if required, you may find these no piston damage and all you will need is a few valves and you'll might be out de gap.
NordicI55 is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 25 Old 04-03-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
tuborg_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Meath
Posts: 20
Thanks everyone for the advice, when im sober i'll try and see what i can do, any on line guides for seeing what head damage there is. pints were a nice distraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicI55 View Post
when was last belt change? Head change will suffice no need for engines change. I would take off head and assess damage before i do anything. The twin spark head and reasonable tolerance for skimming, if required, you may find these no piston damage and all you will need is a few valves and you'll might be out de gap.
only bought the car in 2012 on the backing of the receipts that said the belt was changed 2 years and 18k ago, looking at the belt it seems fresh.
tuborg_man is offline  
Lacken156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
did the balance belt break & that in turn took out the timing belt?
 
Status: I thought I've something more to say
AO Silver Member
 
klapanciusz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 2,620
on the 166 the rollers and tensioners usually are ignored, only the belt changed (it's ~20 euros cheaper this way), then comes the surprise.
klapanciusz is offline  
Lacken156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
my friend timing belt tensioner & idler are alot more than €20
 
Status: #keepFightingMichael
AO Gold Member
 
EauRouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suriname
County: Brokopondo
Posts: 7,703
I would also not ignore the bottom end shells and have an inspection of crank for scores and pistions etc as mentioned above, if you just bolt a new head on the dreaded knocking will most likely arise in the near future.
EauRouge is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 25 Old 05-03-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
tuborg_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
County: Meath
Posts: 20
cool thanks everyone, going to be put on the long finger for a few weeks anyway to start saving, least the tax has just expired and i didn't do the online renewal
tuborg_man is offline  
DarasBB is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,824
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

I dropped the TS engine out of a donor 166.
Made a lot more sense as a one man job and no engine hoist.
You can drop the subframe if you support it with a jack....
Mufasa is offline  
Status: And on the eighth day God made Alfas..!
AO Gold Member
 
pendragonfalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Carlow
Posts: 6,693
Did you fit the little cog/wheel thing yet..??
Did it work..??



George..!
pendragonfalls is offline  
mo4
Status: back in a 156
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland
County: -
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsbaby View Post
Morgan where have you been hiding?
Under a Fiat coop trying to get the starter and gearbox off!
mo4 is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,824
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
Under a Fiat coop trying to get the starter and gearbox off!
I knew it would be something wholesome anyway!!!
Mufasa is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
Did you fit the little cog/wheel thing yet..??
Did it work..??



George..!
I did G ! Thanks a million again. I had more hiccups on the way. Small spark plug snapped and stayed in the engine head. I forgot to hva a new oil filter ready. Safety bolt is stuck and I have now 3 summer tyres and one winter :/.

Friend of mine works in motorfactor shop and he let me in on Sunday and gave me all the parts. She started no problem.

First start. Engine is a knocking on the video, cause Engine wasn't running for almost 3 months. Now (after couple of dozens of kilometers) runs perfect.
DarasBB is offline  
Status: #keepFightingMichael
AO Gold Member
 
EauRouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suriname
County: Brokopondo
Posts: 7,703
That sounded more like an empty variator to me than a bottom end knock at start-up?
EauRouge is offline  
Lacken156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
IMHO thats Tappets running without been fully primed.

Also when working on an Alfa I'd suggest letting the drivers side window down, just in case the door locks itself.
 
Status: And on the eighth day God made Alfas..!
AO Gold Member
 
pendragonfalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Carlow
Posts: 6,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarasBB View Post
I did G ! Thanks a million again. I had more hiccups on the way. Small spark plug snapped and stayed in the engine head. I forgot to hva a new oil filter ready. Safety bolt is stuck and I have now 3 summer tyres and one winter :/.

Friend of mine works in motorfactor shop and he let me in on Sunday and gave me all the parts. She started no problem.

First start. Engine is a knocking on the video, cause Engine wasn't running for almost 3 months. Now (after couple of dozens of kilometers) runs perfect.
Well, at least its up and running..! :mygrin1:
Glad I could assist in my small way... Saves another Alfa from the scrap yard..
pendragonfalls is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
litre , sale , spark

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About twin spark. Biggles146 Alfa 147, 156 & GT 38 30-03-10 02:44

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome