Tyres on the 159 TI - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 01-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa147

Tyres on the 159 TI

Thinking of buying a 159 TI at the moment and another cost i hadnt factored in is the price of tyres which I hear are expensive.

How much do the tyres 19's cost on the TI? i know it depends on the brand, does anyone have a rough breakdown?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Very expensive, if you fit any of the premium brands you are looking at €1000+ even if buying online + fitting, there is also a very limited selection of brands available in the correct size & load rating

See below :
Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 19" R19" - 235/40/19, 235/40 R 19

The Acceleras would only be about €410 but I'll let you form your own opinion on them, just do a search in the 159 Tech Lounge ( popcorn is required )

Also be aware that there is an issue with the recommended settings from Alfa ( at least the original ones ) & many people have seen less than 6K miles from the fronts before the insides are down to the canvas.

Have a look at these threads for more info :
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...rect-data.html

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...formation.html

Last edited by David P; 13-09-12 at 13:44.
Damien_C

Ask Cathal on here he has one.

AO Silver Member

I've 245/40/19s on mine... FK452's.. a hell.of a lot cheaper than the P zero neros that came on it!!

Just need to let insurance company know about wider tyre.. job done..

Also as David said when getting tracked get parallel toe setting 0/0. That'll keep the fronts.lasting longet than 5k miles...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Ask Cathal on here he has one.
Ah just typed in a reply on the old phone above...
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Ah just typed in a reply on the old phone above...
You have your phone and you know how to use it honestly you'd be better off with none Your like my mother for answering it haha.

I noticed wierd that haha.

(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 02-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
I've 245/40/19s on mine... FK452's.. a hell.of a lot cheaper than the P zero neros that came on it!!

Just need to let insurance company know about wider tyre.. job done..

Also as David said when getting tracked get parallel toe setting 0/0. That'll keep the fronts.lasting longet than 5k miles...
Cheers. How much do the FK452's cost?
Yep have read about the tracking, will be one of the first things ill be getting done.
AO Silver Member

Hello Gary,

Well as said above I got sick of paying over €330 per tyre on the car back in 2008 for the stock size (235/40/19). So made the (wise) decision to go to 245/40/19. I've used the following on my car over the years:

FALKEN TYRES / CAR / FALKEN FK452 FALKEN FK 452 - 245/40R19 98Y XL TL £145.60 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 19" R19" - 245/40/19, 245/40 R 19

DUNLOP TYRES / CAR / DUNLOP SP SPORT 01 - 245/40R19 98Y XL (J) MFS TL Jaguar Xf £203.40 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 19" R19" - 245/40/19, 245/40 R 19

The Falken FK452's are a very good tyre imo.. . good wearing and plenty of wet/dry grip.. They are a little more noisy than the Dunlops or Pirelli PZero's.. but for the price I can live with that..

Lots of the lads in the UK on the 159/Brera forum swear by these ones too:

Details: Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 245/40 ZR19 98Y XL with rim protection ridge - eiretyres.com

I heard of a lad recently that the FK452's don't comply with some EU road noise requirements so this model tyre will be discontinued some time soon... I can't find an offical link to this, but some chat here on this 2009 thread:

No more Falken FK452's

Two months ago, for the hell of it I bought a pair of these for the rear of the car:

Details: Federal SS-595 245/40 ZR19 98Y XL - eiretyres.com

The reason I bought them was Camskill in the UK were out of stock on the FK452's for months and months.... I've read all sorts of poor reviews on these Federal budget tyres. I got them for €125 each here in Ireland and that was a false economy. I've had them on the rear of the car now for 2/3 months. They are fine for pottering around town. But I don't like wet motorway driving with them, nor would I rely on them for an emergency stop. Don't go into a tight bend in the wet either . And there is no way I'd have them on the front of the car, it would be safer just to park the car up and wait for real tyres. Even when they were new (with 200 miles up on them) they would aquaplane with new thread depth. In the mean time I've gotten some FK452's now and the Federals will be getting the boot shortly even though there is >6.5mm on each tyre. Good luck to them. Ok rant over..

BTW, The last pair of FK452's I orderd from Camskill were €350 delivered. Eiretyres here were €404 for the same.

Best of luck,
Cathal

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

AO Member

County: Armagh
I replaced the P Zeros with Acceleras. I would say I'm a normal to hard driver the have seen no real difference except £600 sterling still in my bank account!! The Accelera are in top 3% according to their AA Traction rating. Don't known how accurate that is though.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

I can vouch for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas, I have them up front on mine (18", 225). Nice grippy tyre especially in the wet.

Thanks for the above info Cathal I must let my old man know, as he is changing the tyres on the Ti soon.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 3.2

+1 for the Vredesteins as a cost effective alternative. Relatively speaking of course - if you're tough on tyres, I would stay below 18". There's nothing more depressing than spending 4 figures on a set of tyres!
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
except on tax... at least you get _something_ when you spend it on quality tyres.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page