Buying a 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 134 Old 27-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Buying a 159

Well folks I've had the GTV for four years now and I feel it is time to move on to something a bit more practical and what I have decided upon is a 159.

I have test driven 2 already
a beautiful 159Ti
Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS TI 4DR ***Mint Condition with Great Spec*** - €11,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland
only disappointment was it absolutely stank of cigarettes and there were a few cigarette burns in the leather on the drivers seat. Apart from that and a bit of condensation in the rear lights everything was spot on and the paintwork was perfect as well as the wheels. The seller didn't really know much about the car and that was evidenced by the way the price went up 3 times by 1 k each time three days in a row after it went up on carzone.

But having looked into it a bit more the 2.2 with its €850 tax and 22 - 24 mpg means I couldn't really live with it what with having to save for a wedding etc. So I have settled on a 1.9JTS instead.
So I drove the following this evening
Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTS TURISMO - €7,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland
First thoughts were, loved the colour on the outside but didn't really like the colour of the interior, way to much tan colour for me and it discolours very easily.
Then the dealer pointed out that there was an engine management light on the dash. This, he pointed out was down to a fuel actuator which he is having fixed by Donahue's in the morning.
The second thing I noticed was a bit of a judder when starting the engine, it only lasted for a second or less but it was there where it wasn't in the Ti. Cathal had told me that this could be a timing chain issue, but the seller (obviously not thinking straight) said that Cathal was talking rubbish and that the judder could be engine mounts or gearbox issues, to which I replied "and that is supposed to be better?"!!
I had a look at the receipts and on one of the services Tractamotors were asked to service and investigate a "power steering type noise", I asked as to whether this was ever fixed and was told "we have 94 cars here I can't just magic up a service history, what's in the car is what we have", that also answered my question regarding service history!! Bare in mind I had told him I was coming to view the car a couple of hours beforehand so he had time to do his homework.

Anyway, besides that the car drove fine and I would be more than happy with the 1.9JTS even if it did feel like driving a bus coming from the GTV!! But with the issues that it has and the attitude of the dealer I won't be taking this car.

Edit: I just remembered something that the dealer never mentioned, the window on the passenger side didn't work, all it did was make a horrible grinding noise!

Next car I want to have a look at is the Robino red one in Lee (Cork), if anyone would like to check it out for me I'd be much obliged Just so I don't go all that way to find out it's a minger!!
Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTS TURISMO - €7,900 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

Last but not least, does anyone want to by my GTV

If anyone wants more details let me know but the vital stats are:
it is rosso red with every conceivable paint sin (pink bumpers, laquer peel, chips and dents) 126k miles
unmarked tan leather interior
NCT Aug this year
wishbones have been done
timing belt will be done in the next few weeks
full service history all with Ti Auto since I've had it, Pascal Kennedy, Don Baker and Ti (again) before I owned it
I've had it on the rolling road twice and both times the bhp has been over 140 and torque in the 120's
Pics are here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10550...521?banner=pwa

Thanks for reading!! Let the car shopping commence!!

Like AO - RoI on Facebook AO - RoI Facebook Group

Subscribe to AO - RoI on YouTube AO RoI YouTube

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cogito ergo sumo Alfa

Last edited by GTV Gav; 27-02-12 at 23:51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Good luck with the hunt for the 159 Gav Sounds like you've your homework done & you know what you want.

And Good luck with the sale of the GTV
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Jaysus that's a lot of typing

Good luck Gav That car deserves a good home!
Lacken156

Gav, would you not consider a JTD?

Surely a GT JTD would suit your height & liking for the Coupe shape, couple of nice ones on Donedeal.

Please can PM me your expected price for the GTV, if you don't want that info made public.

Lacken156

I have asked Paul from Lee garage what its like. He'll report back to me later.
I also have Gavin [ the sale man ] mobile number if you want to contact him directly

Lee:
http://www.leegarage.com/used_cars.html

Grandons:
http://www.grandons.ie/UsedCars/

have you tried John Linnans in Rathnew:
http://johnlinnanemotors.webzone.ie/usedcars/

Last edited by Lacken156; 28-02-12 at 07:23.

Lacken156

Paul has replied to me " Ring Gavin on 021 431 3344 for the best deal of your life"

Last edited by Lacken156; 28-02-12 at 07:57.

(Post Link) post #7 of 134 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Cheers fellas, didn't quite realise how much I had typed until this morning but thought I should give a good appraisal of the cars I had driven especially as one had come up in the cars for sale thread.

Pat I'm not considering a diesal at the moment, I know they are great but I'm just not ready to go down that road just yet.

I'll pm you regarding price

Garage
Good to see you're planning to be a petrol head for a while yet Gav
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
I think a GT isn't practical to have two baby seats at the back for the twins.
(Post Link) post #10 of 134 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Twins? Twin kegs of beer??
(Post Link) post #11 of 134 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
Paul has replied to me " Ring Gavin on 021 431 3344 for the best deal of your life"
That sounds promising, did he mention anything about the car at all?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but what is the difference between Tourismo and Lusso specs?
Lacken156

its been in stock a while

AO Silver Member

Hi Gav,

Looks like you're pretty serious.. Yea the startup noise/rattle on my car (2.2JTS) was due to the stretched timing chain and a dodgy hydraulic tensioner... both were £££££££!!... the chain was euro1050 to replace, and the tensioner (3 weeks later) was around the euro600 mark... but after lots of fighting warranty paid out. I'm not too sure if the same issues happen on the 1.9JTS. The 1.9JTS has a timing belt?? I haven't heard as much about the 1.9 though on the tech forums here.

The window/grinding noise? I had that too on my drivers side... the actuator/motor fell apart and needed to be replaced... thanks again warranty.

The steering rack/rod ends are also another issue alright...some say the fluid is the cause... red is bad, green is good etc. My car has been fine with the red... ?? Must check my wifes car actually.

Imo the 2.2JTS is just not worth motortax & fuel costs........ if you have a good 1.9JTDm that would be a better car to live with... that's just my opinion....... now there is the new 2.0 diesel too... have never driven onw, but hearing positive things about it (so far)...

Also, if you're going to buy just have a quick look for a new battery weird electrical gremlins and errors will be displayed on the dash if the battery is weak...

Enjoy the hunt! and best of luck with the GTV sale....

Word of advice.... DON'T SELL THE GTV! KEEP IT.....

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Hi Gav,

Looks like you're pretty serious.. Yea the startup noise/rattle on my car (2.2JTS) was due to the stretched timing chain and a dodgy hydraulic tensioner... both were £££££££!!... the chain was euro1050 to replace, and the tensioner (3 weeks later) was around the euro600 mark... but after lots of fighting warranty paid out. I'm not too sure if the same issues happen on the 1.9JTS. The 1.9JTS has a timing belt?? I haven't heard as much about the 1.9 though on the tech forums here.
It's a timing chain on the 1.9 JTS the same as on the 2.2
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Good luck with the search for a 159. I think they are a fantastic looking car. Take your time to look out for a well sorted one

As for the GTV, is there no way you'd consider holding onto it? Could be a nice summer car etc..
(Post Link) post #16 of 134 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Hi Gav,

The window/grinding noise? I had that too on my drivers side... the actuator/motor fell apart and needed to be replaced... thanks again warranty.

The steering rack/rod ends are also another issue alright...some say the fluid is the cause... red is bad, green is good etc. My car has been fine with the red... ?? Must check my wifes car actually.

Imo the 2.2JTS is just not worth motortax & fuel costs........ if you have a good 1.9JTDm that would be a better car to live with... that's just my opinion....... now there is the new 2.0 diesel too... have never driven onw, but hearing positive things about it (so far)...

Also, if you're going to buy just have a quick look for a new battery weird electrical gremlins and errors will be displayed on the dash if the battery is weak...

Enjoy the hunt! and best of luck with the GTV sale....

Word of advice.... DON'T SELL THE GTV! KEEP IT.....
Cheers Cathal and DP for the advice, that judder and the guys attitude just put me well off that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamj View Post
Good luck with the search for a 159. I think they are a fantastic looking car. Take your time to look out for a well sorted one

As for the GTV, is there no way you'd consider holding onto it? Could be a nice summer car etc..
Cheers mj, I'll defo take my time.
Keeping the GTV isn't really an option as we only have space for 1 car in the drive and one on the road.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

all the best with it Gav, for peace of mind ask Gerry Campbell to keep an eye out for you.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
It's a timing chain on the 1.9 JTS the same as on the 2.2

Yes of course, that's right........ doh! The 1.9JTDm has a belt etc.. the 1.9JTS and 2.2JTS are the GM derivative ones with the Alfa head..
(Post Link) post #19 of 134 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
all the best with it Gav, for peace of mind ask Gerry Campbell to keep an eye out for you.
Cheers Mark. I'll be doing that for sure, I'll ask him when I book her in to get her belts done
AO Member

County: Tipperary
Gav dont sell it the GTV. you will have to change your name!!!!
(Post Link) post #21 of 134 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushcles View Post
Gav dont sell it the GTV. you will have to change your name!!!!
Done that once already, went from GTV_Wanted to GTV_Gav when I got the GTV
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

If you must have a petrol, why not look at the 2.0 TS 166? The dimensions are very similar to the 159 believe it or not - you'll see the discussion in the 166 lounge comparing the two. Having driven a 159, the 166 actually feels like a more nimble car, it will cost you a lot less too.

Quote:
Keeping the GTV isn't really an option as we only have space for 1 car in the drive and one on the road.
That's pretty lame - it's a public estate, you have the right to park as many cars on the road as you like as long as they are taxed! I should know....
(Post Link) post #23 of 134 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
If you must have a petrol, why not look at the 2.0 TS 166? The dimensions are very similar to the 159 believe it or not - you'll see the discussion in the 166 lounge comparing the two. Having driven a 159, the 166 actually feels like a more nimble car, it will cost you a lot less too.

That's pretty lame - it's a public estate, you have the right to park as many cars on the road as you like as long as they are taxed! I should know....
I do like the 166 but I'd just prefer to have a newer car. Fair point on keeping the GTV but I really don't fancy having 2 cars.
Lacken156

in order to tax a 2nd car it needs to be insured, all that expense for a car parked in a housing estate most of the year.

(Post Link) post #25 of 134 Old 28-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
in order to tax a 2nd car it needs to be insured, all that expense for a car parked in a housing estate most of the year.
Very true, a luxury I can't afford with the wedding etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , buying

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page