Converting a 2.o Sillyspeed SW to a 2.5 V6 SW - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Lacken156

Drunk Converting a 2.o Sillyspeed SW to a 2.5 V6 SW

I bought a 2001 2.o S/Speed rolling shell a few months back, no engine or gear box. So today I started to strip out the various wiring looms etc from a 2001 SW to convert it to a 2.5 V6 SW track day car.

So far I've removed:

> Front Bumper & Rad
> Dash, clocks, centre console, centre heating tunnel, heater controller & Main cross member + heater matrix.
> Engine bay wiring loom, back in as far as the fuse box & over to the utilities ecu
> Master Cylinder + Brake fluid reservoir & piping
> Pedal box & the large black mounting plate
> Inner & Outter bulkhead sound proofing

The only 'surprise' I had so far was that the ABS ecu wiring loom is incorporated with the Selespeed ECU wiring loom...... darn !!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Nice work man.

Global Mod Team

Garage
Good effort dood.

Isn't there something missing in this thread?
I'm sure someone asked if you had any photo's of your work earlier?
Lacken156

propellorhead

I'll be watching this one! What kind of work will you need to do to the shell with regard to engine mounts and such? I imagine alfa would have made the cars as identical as possible to keep costs down?

Lacken156

fitting the engine & box is the easy part, its a direct fit. Fitting the wiring looms is the time consuming part + actually having ALL the necessasy wiring [ as i discovered with the ABS wiring ] , just as well I know where I can get parts form another car

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Now that's a project car! Will be watching this thread with interest..
Lacken156

More pictures added today.

Lacken156

Latest update, i got this SW V6 Track Day car starting today. Links in the post 5 above.

Damien_C

Great work bud.

Lacken156

Thanks Damien. You should call up for a spin in it, once its be fully sorted

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

Just checked out the pictures there Pat... looks good and its starting to take shape
Lacken156

HE drives, bouncy wouncy from very hard suspensions. I've done 2.7 miles & the front brakes are binding ON when they get hot ......... ain't the right smilie for how I feel. Only for the fact the V6 has soooooo much power & torque I would not have got back to my house. I was only 5oom away BUT I had to travel in 2nd gear, foot to the floor, smoke coming from all 4 brakes. if i tried to travel in 3rd she'd nearly stop on the road.

AO Silver Member

He? He? Alfas are ladies.. very good looking ones too!!

That's scary about the brakes..... Why are they not releasing?
propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
HE I was only 5oom away BUT I had to travel in 2nd gear, foot to the floor, smoke coming from all 4 brakes.
Now that I would like to see pictures of! sounds like you have acheived a hell of alot already, dont be disheartened too much any ideas whats causing them too bind?

Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
He? He? Alfas are ladies.. very good looking ones too!!

That's scary about the brakes..... Why are they not releasing?
Yeah but the smell of hot brakes, If only I could bottle it, its one of my favourite smells

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellorhead View Post
Now that I would like to see pictures of! sounds like you have acheived a hell of alot already, dont be disheartened too much any ideas whats causing them too bind?
I'm getting over my disappointment about the brakes, I'm starting to think it actually an assembly error that I made when fitting the V6 Brake Servo.

When fitting the Servo to the bulk head I un-intentionally left off a bracket which seals up a space between the Servo & Bulkhead. This bracket is also sandwich'd between the Master Cylinder & the Servo, so I'm thinking that the cylinder is too close to the servo & therefore is always partially on. As the car is driving the brake fluid is getting hot & expanding but is not been allowed back into the reservoir as it should be because the cylinder is not returning to its HOME position.

2 hours tomorrow would tell alot. Tomorrow I'll have to remove the fans & dip stick, tilt the engine forwards [ again ] & place 2 or 4 spacer washers between the Servo & Master cylinder. Fingers crossed it'll be ok.

If not plan 'B' is to replace the 2 front calipers

Plan 'C' is to replace the ABS pump.

Plan 'D' ........ drown me sorrows at the thoughts of missing Mondello

Lacken156

Good news [ for me anyways ] I was able to seperate the master from the Servo with tilting the engine Phew ....

Thanks to a mixture of deep & standard 13mm sockets, using a 3/8" rachet & extension, while kneeling on top of the intake pleniun, I was able to pull it forwards enough to fit two 8mm flat washers between the cylinder & servo These washers are approx 1.5 times thicker than the plate that should be fitted between the cylinder & servo.

Took me an hour or so [ started at 8.30am ] & then I went for a drive. I did 5.6 miles without the front brakes binding.

AO Silver Member

Result!! that's a good tip..
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
Thanks Damien. You should call up for a spin in it, once its be fully sorted
Anytime man, give me a shout some friday and ill pop down and take a nose

Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Result!! that's a good tip..
If I had fitted the all the parts when fitting the Servo i wouldn't have happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Anytime man, give me a shout some friday and ill pop down and take a nose
Call to Mondello on Saturday

Damien_C

I'll be in Edinburgh haha

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Bring us back a Edinburgh fridge magnet
Lacken156

Yesterday I weighed this car 1240Kg

Admittedly there is still some stuff to come out of it or lightened EG: tar sound proofing on the floor, standard fuel tank, standard drivers seat, standard heater matrix, rear hatch trim. All work for next week.

Damien_C

Not bad man if you can get it at 1200 KG you'll be doing well try and get a set of Ultraleggera OZ wheels as you know from my ar they are epicly light and made a great diff to my car.

Lacken156

I got rid of more dead weight today, the hatch/boot is totally bare, no wiring, no wiper, no covers, nothing all gone, easily 10kg or more of weight. I also ditch the stand drivers seat & fitted a light weigh rally bucket seat. I'm hoping to break the 1200kg barrier.

I must get the car weighed agian before Saturday.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
converting , sillyspeed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page