166 car check - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 82 Old 13-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
166 car check

Hey,

got offered this as a trade/swap for mine the other day, wondering if anyone knows it or knows anything about it?

1999 Alfa Romeo 166 For Sale For Sale in Mayo. Buy 166

12 year old with 40k on the clock, seems kinda low maybe? any info would be usefull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublevin View Post
Hey,

got offered this as a trade/swap for mine the other day, wondering if anyone knows it or knows anything about it?

1999 Alfa Romeo 166 For Sale For Sale in Mayo. Buy 166

12 year old with 40k on the clock, seems kinda low maybe? any info would be usefull.
Timing belt is the biggie on these I believe. Mileage might be okay but the belts perish over time so it could be a timebomb...
Gerry in TI told me could cost 1500 if done right (you could call him to confirm).
Suspension issues would be another I would imagine but the manual is a big plus as the auto didn't work as well as with the 3.0 I've heard.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
agree, I wouldn't drive it a meter without getting the belt replaced ASAP. Make sure you also change the waterpump at the same time, and get the one with the metal impeller.
on top of the suspension and belt you have to add the price of a radiator, a heater matrix, and a battery. I'd still buy it though, just for the sound of that V6...
Make sure you have to code for the ICS, check if it has SatNav in the boot and also check for the DSP.
If there is a SatNav it will be a G2, so it cannot be updated to post 2001 disks (G2 is a 8bit, G3 is a 16 bit system), and being a 99 model the seats won't have memory.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
agree, I wouldn't drive it a meter without getting the belt replaced ASAP. Make sure you also change the waterpump at the same time, and get the one with the metal impeller.
on top of the suspension and belt you have to add the price of a radiator, a heater matrix, and a battery. I'd still buy it though, just for the sound of that V6...
Make sure you have to code for the ICS, check if it has SatNav in the boot and also check for the DSP.
If there is a SatNav it will be a G2, so it cannot be updated to post 2001 disks (G2 is a 8bit, G3 is a 16 bit system), and being a 99 model the seats won't have memory.
But it has a V6...
(Post Link) post #5 of 82 Old 13-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for the info.

im more interested to know if anyone knows the car, or the history behind it maybe? this guy s says he buys and sells cars from time to time. says the belt was changed by previous owner at 31k as well as a full service, as well as brake pads and discs. also said that he has some suspension work done to pass the nct.

whats the bhp on these thigns ... any ideas ? and i see Tax is nice and expensive.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublevin View Post
thanks for the info.

im more interested to know if anyone knows the car, or the history behind it maybe? this guy s says he buys and sells cars from time to time. says the belt was changed by previous owner at 31k as well as a full service, as well as brake pads and discs. also said that he has some suspension work done to pass the nct.

whats the bhp on these thigns ... any ideas ? and i see Tax is nice and expensive.
190bhp AFAIK.

Tax is about a grand I think?

Re suspension: what will pass the NCT might still not really sort it.
Lacken156

for €1500 anyone should have it in such condition it'd be almost guaranteed to pass the NCT, suspension wishbones & all.....

(Post Link) post #8 of 82 Old 15-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for the info, im actualy looking at a different one this weekend, needs some work but should be a good buy if i take it.
one thing i want to know, do the v6 cars have variators?
and how many plugs are in the v6? are the a tspark or is that only the 16 valve cars?

also anything else i should look out for that hasnt been mentioned on a 99 166 v6 2.5 ?
Lacken156

no variator

6 plugs

(Post Link) post #10 of 82 Old 15-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
no variator

6 plugs
sweet, thanks. makes life a little easier.
Damien_C

Theres a V6 on octane for 400 notes needs a bitta tidying but it's low miles and small money.

(Post Link) post #12 of 82 Old 16-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Theres a V6 on octane for 400 notes needs a bitta tidying but it's low miles and small money.
thats the one im going to see

was talking to the guy and it seems like it could be a good buy, ill know more when i get out there. either Friday or Saturday afternoon, but i will have cash in hand. so i reckon if its decent enough, get it and sit it on blocks for a while while i get it all running right and get what i want done to it done.

i signed up to that site the other day, havent posted anything yet though. same name as here, ... and most other places
Lacken156

be prepared to spend another €600 on timing belt, tensioner & idlers, metal water pump, new thermostat, aux belt, tensioner & idler, 6 spark plugs, oil filter & air filter.

THEN find some-one capable of doing all this work at reasonable rates

your 'cheap' 166 will suddenly turn into a money pit .....

(Post Link) post #14 of 82 Old 16-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
be prepared to spend another 600 on timing belt, tensioner & idlers, metal water pump, new thermostat, aux belt, tensioner & idler, 6 spark plugs, oil filter & air filter.

i have a guy to do it for free.
and as long as it all comes in under market price then im winning, did that with my old 146 and with my punto before that.
if your willing to put the time in on a car that is cheap then the overall cost is worth the effort.

anyway the timing belt may have been done recently, the guy selling is the guy who really owns it... im not planning to drive right off the back anyhow.
Damien_C

If it's been standing for a year which the car has been it def would be wise to throw another belt on it. And just for piece of mind. The car need tidying to be fair but it's a nice bus and needs better wheels but it has poetinal.

AO Member

Member car:

2.0 TS GTV

Quote:
be prepared to spend another €600 on timing belt, tensioner & idlers, metal water pump, new thermostat, aux belt, tensioner & idler, 6 spark plugs, oil filter & air filter.

Have to agree with this, bought my 00 gtv for less than a grand, knowing it needed at least twice that to be really sound with a good body

Have a fantastic mechanic with a good relationship with a former alfa dealer, so that sorts one hurdle.

Plus he has no problem being decent to women (not many of us here) and I respect him a lot, if it's bad news he's straight out with it etc

I've learned shedloads through owning alfas, so much that I reference it in my work (I'm an IT trainer) and always get laughs

Anyway I have to say as someone who learned to drive in a 20 year old passat and has owned a series of low worth cars since, if you love the car buy it, and be prepared to spend on it, if not then leave it. I saw a spyder in 1997 in Christchurch and lusted after that car for years, I now have it's hard top equivalent, and am thrilled

Such are alfas
Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
this 'Octane 166' has doubled its price in the last 24 hours ... donedeal, great site for adding value to a car

Alfa 166 v6 2.5.... for sale in Kildare : €795 - DoneDeal.ie

Damien_C

Hey, I'm not selling it was only letting the chap know.

Lacken156

Never said you were I'm just highlighting the fact its now x2 the original asking price without any extra work been done to it.

Damien_C

Ohh ya your dead right man I must get ya have a look at that zorst on the 156

Lacken156

ok

Damien_C

You'll like it

Lacken156

do you have a you-tube of it?

Damien_C

I will later, getting one of the lads to follow me into the tunnel It's unreal sounding.

(Post Link) post #25 of 82 Old 19-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

well i did it

bought that 166. i know it needs work and im willing to do the work, i do most of the work on my own cars myself anyway, its fun
Anyway its a 1999 166 2.5 V6 (dark grey) 80k on the clock. its in pretty good condition, interior reflects the millage so there is little to no ware on anything (seats/bolsters, steering wheel, gear knob)

work needed (that i know of off hand)
- exhaust needs welding (but sounds amazing as it is even still)
- front anti-rollbar bushes need replacing
- brakes need to be serviced (though the pads and discs were changed)
- timing belt in the next 10k
- lcd display on the centre cluster is intermittent
- a good solid clean
- general service (fluids and filters)
- air con needs to be looked at (but i couldn't give a crap about air con)

What i want to do to it
- lowered on new shocks and springs
- new wheels
- new exhaust

thats about it for now. havent had a real chance to look at it.

I am quite pleased with it and looking forward to getting it on the road properly.

oh and it only cost me 400, like he was advertising on Octane. he just jumped the price up cos someone said he was selling for to low and that they had sold an engine alone for more than that. of course as i said, the problem between the engine he sold and the one he was selling is that his engine was still in a car and alot of people who want an engine only want an engine. he didnt care so i got cheap car. (not my first cheap alfa ) but he honored the price we talked about originally so i got it at that.
And failing all that, ill sell it on for what i paid or brake it and sell parts. its only 400 so not braking the bank at the moment.
Ill get some pics up once i wash off all the bird crap.

wondering has anyone got a service manual for one of these that i can get a copy of (preferably electronic)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , car , check

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page