drained battery - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 04-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
drained battery

well ive gone back and brought an alfa 156,1.8ts,year 2000,i used to have a 2.5cc a couple of years ago,but started to have a lot of problems with it,so i got rid of it,anyway i collected the car yesterday,the guy told me it had a flat battery,as it was parked up for a few weeks,so i brought along a battery and car started fine,when i got up this morning to start it,there was nothing,not even the ignition lights on dash,i had taken of the battery from a car that i was useing everyday and never had a problem with it,so i have now taken the battery off and now chargeing it,i dont think this is going to fix my problem,anyone have any ideas,as im not sure where to start,tks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork boy View Post
well ive gone back and brought an alfa 156,1.8ts,year 2000,i used to have a 2.5cc a couple of years ago,but started to have a lot of problems with it,so i got rid of it,anyway i collected the car yesterday,the guy told me it had a flat battery,as it was parked up for a few weeks,so i brought along a battery and car started fine,when i got up this morning to start it,there was nothing,not even the ignition lights on dash,i had taken of the battery from a car that i was useing everyday and never had a problem with it,so i have now taken the battery off and now chargeing it,i dont think this is going to fix my problem,anyone have any ideas,as im not sure where to start,tks
Boot light?
Lacken156 as well as many other lads on here should be able to help...
AO Silver Member

If your handy with a multimeter then you could check the drain current while parked... Then if you see a draw then its a case of unplugging fuses one by one to find the suspect circuit....

Do you have an original Blauplunkt radio? (Spelling?)

Are you from Cork?
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0 V6

Changing the rev counter would maybe solve the problem,as they could be faulty at times.
(Post Link) post #5 of 24 Old 04-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

@cathal,yes im near kanturk,it is a blukpunt stereo,with a face off,it has a constant live feed to it,as it still works when ignition keys are taken out.
Tks to roarsbaby and jaaniitisi0 for your replies,ill check on these.
AO Silver Member

We had a 156 year 2000 with a radio like the picture below.. it was trouble... It'll killed the battery in the early years and also one day started literally smoking!

Anyway after it was replaced by the dealer the battery in the car was fine.

I live near Riverstick which is a bit away... I was going to suggest if you were nearby to pop over for a look...

Anyway, there are dozens of places to look for this problem. Do check the boot light as suggest above... Are all the eleitrcal items in the car working? eg all the windows go up and down fully. All lights, fog lights, interiors dome lights ok?

Any after market stereo/mobile-phone/DVD/car-cams gadgets need to be disconnected first to see if they are causing it.

But in the end its going to be a case of disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery and connecting an ammeter (multimeter in A mode) and reading the trickle current.. I would guess up to 75mA (0.075A) would be normal-ish..

Have a look at this video... (Ignore the accent!!!)

Testing For Current Drain That Runs Down Car Battery - YouTube

or this one from the UK:

Car battery going flat how to check for a drain - YouTube

If you're seeing something like 1A (one amp) or higher then you need to start removing fuses one by on until the current drops... then you know which circuit is causing the problem..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfaRadio.JPG (45.6 KB, 3 views)

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

(Post Link) post #7 of 24 Old 04-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

tks again cathal for your help,anyway ive started by removing the car stereo,and also checked that the boot light was off,which it is,i had a look at the video links you posted and they were helpful,so if i have not got rid of this problem tomorrow,then ill purchase an ammeter on monday and take it from there,ill update,as it might help someone else who might have same problem in the future.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Check the glovebox light as well.
Lacken156

at night look at the rear light, if the park lights are slighly illuminated or fully on, then the Rev counter is defective as per Jjaaniitis0 post

As Roary said it could be an internal or boot light staying on.

As Cathal suggested it could be radio, try unplugging it.

Lacken156

check phone kit, additional amp/cd player circuits, could even be a faulty alarm system

Last edited by Lacken156; 04-02-12 at 21:31.

(Post Link) post #11 of 24 Old 05-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

now its gone from bad to worse,left the battery on a low charge overnight,put the battery back in the car,went for a spin,car started juddering and rev counter going up and down,also abs light and parking light now showing up on the dash board panel,lifted the bonnet and noticed smoke coming out of the battery[small hole a the top/side of the battery,looks like where gases can escape]
Lacken156

jaysus, is the alternator over charging?

you should call into Lee Garage to get it checked out.

Lacken156

jaysus, is the alternator over charging?

you should call into Lee Garage to get it checked out.

AO Silver Member

Wow! Watch that battery.. If its gassing it could explode if there is a spark on a diconnect/reconnect (at the terminals).. if you have a multimeter check the charging voltage.. it should be around 14.2V... If its up over 15 volts you're in trouble, i e you have a dodgy Alternator etc.

EDIT: check fuse boxes over the ABS module just behind the battery for loose cables touching the bodywork... Check the cabling for chafing/rubbing...

Last edited by Cathal_H; 06-02-12 at 15:08.
(Post Link) post #15 of 24 Old 06-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

well anyway i had a flat battery so fitted a new one,done the throttle reset,then my problems started,1st of all the revs are idling at around 1400/1500,and the abs and parking lights come on at the same time,the car then starts hunting[revs [email protected] on its own]if i turn of the engine and restart it,it runs fine for a few minutes,then the above starts again,also noticed that the electric windows wont go up and down when the above happens,but when i turn of car and turn back on the ignition the windows work as per normal again,any help appreciated.
Lacken156

the ABS + Handbrake means that the ABS fuse is blown.

you REALLY need to check the alternator to ensure its charging & also that its not OVER charging

the high idle could be defective coolant sensor [ does the coolant fan run all the time? ] or a faulty Ari Flow Meter or a cracked inlet rubber hose befor ethe throttle body or etc ......

(Post Link) post #17 of 24 Old 06-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

why then does the abs and handbrake light turn on and off whilst idling,the coolant fan cuts in as normal,checked on that,checked inlet rubber hose,thats ok
Lacken156

from sitting on a chair in my sitting room of my home, in front of a roaring open fire, in Wexford while your car is in Cork its hard to say for certain

If it were outside in my yard I'd start by checking the alternator voltage..... can you do that yourself? if not go to a tyre/battery centre & they can, usually for free.

if the alternator is charging ok, then I'd look at earthing issues, loose fuses, loose battery connections, etc....

(Post Link) post #19 of 24 Old 06-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

ok tks for your help lacken,ill check on same,by the way how much is a bag of turf up in wexford
Lacken156

no idea....

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork boy View Post
why then does the abs and handbrake light turn on and off whilst idling,the coolant fan cuts in as normal,checked on that,checked inlet rubber hose,thats ok
My advise would be to get it to a mechanis as soon as possible, it just seems as though turning it on and off and trying the electrics is exacerbating the problem...
(Post Link) post #22 of 24 Old 06-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

think this might be my problem
there is a VERY small thing that clips out
that will be the voltage regulator which is fixed at the back of the alternator (actually brushes and regulator in one) I agree with scrgdk that this is the problem much of the time, and is a cheaper and easier fix than a new alternator. Take it out (usually 2 screws, if you can get to them on your model) and inspect the brushes, for oil fouling or uneven wear (ie. one brush might be much longer.)
This is one of the main causes for a battery discharging over night, as it lets the current flow back when it is faulty.
(Post Link) post #23 of 24 Old 06-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

think this might be my problem
there is a VERY small thing that clips out
that will be the voltage regulator which is fixed at the back of the alternator (actually brushes and regulator in one) I agree with scrgdk that this is the problem much of the time, and is a cheaper and easier fix than a new alternator. Take it out (usually 2 screws, if you can get to them on your model) and inspect the brushes, for oil fouling or uneven wear (ie. one brush might be much longer.)
This is one of the main causes for a battery discharging over night, as it lets the current flow back when it is faulty.
(Post Link) post #24 of 24 Old 13-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Had the diagnstic check done today,all faults cleared,abs light cleared,car idling a little too fast[1400rpm]
Mechanic told me that the alternaor is overcharging the battery,thus causing my battery problem,do i need to change the alternator or could i change the voltage regulator,as ive read that changing the alternator is a big job,as driveshaft and exhaust downpipe and bottom engine mounting will need to be removed,and that the regulator is easier as its just two stub screws,any help would be appreciated.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
battery , drained

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page