Alfadiag and cable - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

2.0 TS GTV

Alfadiag and cable

Guys

As I've said before I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything to do with cars, and currently have the fuel injector (engine management system) and airbag light on on my car and it's due an nct.

Both have been cleared in the past from the service history, the fuel injector light is the cam sensor. How easy it it to clear these using alfadiag and the relevant cable? I know where the fusebox is and have the software, so just need the cable.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lacken156

you need to buy a KKL interface from eBay & then solder pins 7 to 3 to 1 [ within the interface ] alfadiag is easy enough to use, FiatEcuScan is easier

Mario Andretti

The engine light being on is not an nct issue but the reason for it being on could affect emissions hope this helps

(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 TS GTV

I need to solder pins! Can't I just plug it in and erase the codes? Can I manage to avoid soldering if I use ecuscan?

I'm getting different opinions about the fuel injector light and whether or not it's an nct fail, everything I read say it's not as it's a petrol, my mechanic and others disagree! I'm tempted to print out and read the nct manual and see which is true
Lacken156

no, you need to solder

re the injector light, i thought that ANY error light was a failure, Mario he'd know best

Last edited by Lacken156; 02-01-12 at 08:33.

(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 TS GTV

Apparently for diesel engines, it's a failure, for petrol it's not, but it depends on who you ask

I'm thinking back to my pc building days, soldering shouldn't be a huge undertaking?

Although for the NCT and until I learn I'm tempted to go into Gerry to get him to clear the codes as he has before

Clear them and find any other issues it will fail on
Mario Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouggatti View Post
Apparently for diesel engines, it's a failure, for petrol it's not, but it depends on who you ask
Yes that is true but the diesel EML is to be ignored unless there is an obvious running issue that it is deemed unsafe to rev the engine.... but the manufacturers put those lights in for a reason so why do people drive for so long without getting it checked out

(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 TS GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Andretti View Post
Yes that is true but the diesel EML is to be ignored unless there is an obvious running issue that it is deemed unsafe to rev the engine.... but the manufacturers put those lights in for a reason so why do people drive for so long without getting it checked out
Mine has been checked out twice it's the cam sensor and has occured after a timing belt change going by the service history, and has just been reset both times, and is fine.

I'm getting the timing belt variator etc changed in the new year, so hopefully that will deal with it.
Mario Andretti

Ah sure happy days as some lads did damage these sensors when using the cam pulley tools..

AO Member

County: Galway

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm,2007

alfadiag isn't too good,use fiatecuscan,free version will do the job,just remember to restart software after 20 min,
buy kkl cable and this set http://www.ebay.ie/itm/360384288479?...ht_2293wt_1108 will sort your light out without soldering any pins,
or another option rarebear from alfa owners forums sells the modified kkl cables which work with alfadiag software and connects to ABS and airbags
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Some of the cables you buy on ebay already have the soldering done. Mine worked out of the box but I dont have a link anymore sorry.

The cam sensor error could also be simply that the timing was set wrong, and not necessarily a failing phase sensor.
As Lacken says these can get damaged during a belt change, but in my experience they are completely failed and would light up the injector light constantly even after a reset.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

You can buy a ready made cable from Rarebear here on Alfaowner - send him a PM - that's where I got my cable and am happy with it.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 03-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 TS GTV

Thanks for all your advice guys

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfadiag , cable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page