Any one used one of these..? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 51 Old 31-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Any one used one of these..?

Looks good for the money, but is there a catch..??

New Launch Creader 6 OBD2 EOBD Scanner for sale in Dublin : €90 - DoneDeal.ie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lacken156

its a fancy screen'd EOBD reader. AFAIk it will only work for engines, not ABS or Airbags

(Post Link) post #3 of 51 Old 31-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacken156 View Post
its a fancy screen'd EOBD reader. AFAIk it will only work for engines, not ABS or Airbags
Shan't bother then, its ABS that's giving me the grief...
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Just invest in a OBD cable and alfadiag
Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
Shan't bother then, its ABS that's giving me the grief...
on which car?

drop down & I'll look at it for you

(Post Link) post #6 of 51 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Long going prob with the ABS light, on the Spider. It won't come on with the ignition. Changed the clocks, so its not a blown LED.
Previous owner must have done something, but they won't admit to it.
ABS is working as it should, just no light.... Had it on a "Snap" diag and the diag at TI Autos. No faults found. Will be a NCT failure come May...

Your welcome to have a go... Where you based? I'll gladly come to you, if there's a remote chance it can get sorted..
Lacken156

George you have been to my house, outside new ross. I reckon there is a fault within your controller or the wiring to the controller. the led is powered from within the speedo but needs to be earthed internally within the ABS controller. So my guess is that the controller of ABS module needs replacing.

Last edited by Lacken156; 01-01-12 at 14:50.

(Post Link) post #8 of 51 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
George you have been to my house, outside new ross. I reckon there is a fault within your controller or the wiring to the controller. the led is powered from within the speedo but needs to be earthed internally within the ABS controller. So my guess is that the controller of ABS module needs replacing.
Ah Pat..Of course I've been to your house.

So, is this "controller of ABS module" a big job?

I had the car in with Gerry at TI, and he couldn't figure it out.

Would be great to finally get it sorted though.
Lacken156

i need to look at my spares to see if it can be easily removed form the pump itself, i'll check tomorrow.

I'm assuming the light is not coming on unless you earth the correct pin? has any actaully done this?

Mario Andretti

The bulb is just not recieving its power supply as no safety ecu is allowed to turn on the bulbs on key on for safety reasons. The bulb draws an earth from the ecu while self diag is performed and then the earth will become a feed to turn the bulb off so I would strongly doubt that it is anythiing more then a "hidden" fuse or missing feed as Gerry is using the examiner like me and that will fault a communication issue up to the bulb.....

Lacken156

time will tell.

Mario Andretti

Quote:
time will tell.
True but I would find it unusual if Gerry was unable to diagnos an eprom or eeprom error or even an open signal to the warning cluster.... but lets hope its only a fuse or broken wire...

(Post Link) post #13 of 51 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

I'm praying it is only a fuse or a broken wire...

Gerry spent a good hour on it, but couldn't solve it. His plan was to keep the car for a few days in order to investigate further. I couldn't leave it with him at the time, so the plan was to drop it back sometime in the new year.

I don't know if Gerry tried earthing any pins to test the LED, but he did put a set of clocks in it from a GTV that he had up there, and it was the same problem.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mario Andretti

They are not earthed in the conventional sense but are reverse feed and on collapsing that circuit an earth is gained through the feed circuit

(Post Link) post #15 of 51 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Andretti View Post
They are not earthed in the conventional sense but are reverse feed and on collapsing that circuit an earth is gained through the feed circuit
Sounds like double-dutch to me. I'll bow to your superior knowledge though...

Question is though... "Can ya fix it...??!"
Lacken156

George you are most welcome to let Mario look at your car if you wish. He is probablly closer to you than I am. I won't be offended. If you need parts I'll have them here.

(Post Link) post #17 of 51 Old 01-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Couldn't the three of us meet up and bang heads... Its bound to reap results.. :mygrin1:

I've got till May to resolve the problem, so its not an emergency. Maybe have a look at the next meet..???
Lacken156

not really a road-side repair job.

Mario Andretti

Quote:
George you are most welcome to let Mario look at your car if you wish. He is probablly closer to you than I am. I won't be offended. If you need parts I'll have them here.
Please dont ever think I am looking for work off this site as it is a forum for enthusiasts and what info I have given in this thread is for assistance to George only and not for profit. Most people have my number and if I have the time I will try and talk them through any issues they have and many members here have done so rather then start threads on their issues purely as they sometimes feel talking can gain more info then typing. Now dont get me wrong this is not a rant but it is an opinion expressed to me by a number of members....

Lacken156

i too am not looking for work but am willing to help out another member. I was bowing out & moving over out of the way as you have superior knowledge of the brand, i take no offense at your last reply. as i hope you don't take any offense at my post/s. I doubt I'll be attending the KK meeting so feel free to look at it on the day

Mario Andretti

No offence taken as i feel my time on this forum is social and not work related as most have my number but i wont be working on cars at meets unless it is a breakdown as who really does enjoy busmen holidays after all.

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Gentlemen, I don't think we need to define the boundaries so anally!
Damien_C

I'd agree with Rory, I just head hell as frozen over This place is getting to serious lately. It's all meant to be a bit light hearted escapism not a place to go and get hung up over every little thing that goes on.

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
I'd agree with Rory, I just heard hell has frozen over This place is getting to serious lately. It's all meant to be a bit light hearted escapism not a place to go and get hung up over every little thing that goes on.
Top class Damo!!! (Oh and hell will never freeze over - that's one reason why I plan on staying out!!!)
Mario Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
I'd agree with Rory, I just head hell as frozen over This place is getting to serious lately. It's all meant to be a bit light hearted escapism not a place to go and get hung up over every little thing that goes on.
Well said "light hearted escapism" so if someone had said it before that they dont want their work brought into the playground should this not be respected as such. My post was not a rant but was merely a request that i will help when i can but i dont think work should be discussed in this social environment.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page