156 Boot Lid - Replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 20-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

156 1.8 Lusso

156 Boot Lid - Replacement

I backed into the corner of a skip the other day and gave the bootlid a good dint.

http://img.ie/0c382.jpg

Dent is bang in the center of the back above badge.
No damage at all to the bumper it's self. The dent is about 6' in diameter surrounding the badge. Due to the dent the boot lid doesn't sit flush on the right hand side as in pic

Spoke to a a body shops and a smart repair place, they reckon a replacement may be a cheaper option due to the awkwardness of the dent, (It's strteched, creased and up to lip of the boot, so paintless dent removal lads can't sort it.) Or big money to fix up (Around 700 was one quote, this included a bumper scuff as well)

So the big question, are pre/post facelift bootlids the same, can I swap out an '01 bootlid onto my '04 Facelift 156 before I go scrappie hunting. I'm guessing no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
I gave a 02 boot-lid to a chap on here some months back.. he was putting it on a facelift version; apparently it'll fit.
AO Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

The lid will fit. However the facelift lid has different shaped lamps, and a 'crease' on the center. Boot lock assembly is slightly different as well.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarlb View Post
The lid will fit. However the facelift lid has different shaped lamps, and a 'crease' on the center. Boot lock assembly is slightly different as well.
That's what I thought. There's a 'squarer' look to it right?
Lacken156

the boot is held on by six 6mm hex bolts & there is wire thro the body/shell also. The F/L will fit, the pre-F/L will have a badge that can swing which the F/L badge can't. Otherwise it should be easy to swap.

Some say that the pre-F/L boot is a better looking boot than the 'softer' looking F/L boot.

(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 21-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Lusso

Thanks lads, loads of black pre facelift boot lids out there.
I'll chase the scrappies after Christmas.

Will I be losing the option to open the boot via key fob or is swaping the locking mechanisim from damaged boot to replacement an option.

And I'd agree with you Lacken, I actually prefer the sharper lines on the pre F/L boots.
Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wal View Post
Will I be losing the option to open the boot via key fob or is swaping the locking mechanisim from damaged boot to replacement an option.
Not necessarily, '01 '02 & '03 pre=F/l boot open from the remote control fobe, so you should be ok. The release is on the slam panel not the boot.

AO Member

County: Limerick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
I gave a 02 boot-lid to a chap on here some months back.. he was putting it on a facelift version; apparently it'll fit.
That was me, The guy doing the work for me said that the bootlid wouldn't fit, he swapped it for a f/l bootlid. Not sure why he decided it wouldn't fit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , boot , lid , replacement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page