How far in a classic - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Mario Andretti

How far in a classic

Well I am looking at planning a bit of a long haul tour in the next few years. Now I am wondering how far would you travel in your classic and would you have faith in it. The other thing is what classic would you take on a mega long run and what destinations would you love to incorperate in a run....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Louth
not a classic as such, but i did about 6k miles round europe a couple of years ago in a 91 mx5. i would recomend it. Give me a shout if you want more info.
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Lenneys 75 for sure, loads of space and modern enough mechanics. If you did it in a classic and broke down you're pretty much mullered. My commission is 5% Lenny.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Andretti View Post
Well I am looking at planning a bit of a long haul tour in the next few years. Now I am wondering how far would you travel in your classic and would you have faith in it. The other thing is what classic would you take on a mega long run and what destinations would you love to incorperate in a run....
A guy like you could go anywhere!
Bit of prep and a boot full of spares,tools, trolley jack...
Just make sure you've heating if it's going to be anyway cold...
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Make sure it's well serviced and you're familiar with it. Most breakdowns on older vehicles are rubber related, old tyres, hoses, belts etc. For years I've taken bangers to motor races in Europe, usually about 1200 miles, and in 20 odd years I've had 1 flat battery and 2 tyres. Take a full size spare if you can, old space savers are useless 500 miles from home on a Sunday night. Bit of preparation and you'll be fine!
Mario Andretti

This is more a thread about people having faith in their classics as I have done cross euro trip in 35 year old cars and what has me asking is there are a few people every year drive to africa in vintage landrovers and it has me really thinking..... so who here would drive across europe in the morning in their classic.

AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Believe it or not I'd take the 33 in the morning, it's hardly a classic though. Your Landy would be well up for it I would have thought.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
This is more a thread about people having faith in their classics as I have done cross euro trip in 35 year old cars and what has me asking is there are a few people every year drive to africa in vintage landrovers and it has me really thinking..... so who here would drive across europe in the morning in their classic.
It's not an Alfa but I'd take my 20 year old Corvette in the mornng, less sure about the 10 year old Alfa mind!
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
scoot back a bit; 30 years ago, when your classic was new, it could make the trip. 15 years ago, assuming servicing was adhered to, it would still do it. Now, if you've been careful with servicing, it will do the trip.

A car has no concept of speed or its age. As long as heart is strong because the regular consumables have been replaced (thanks to servicing etc), it'll plod along.

I'd love to drive a GTV6 in autumn to a chalet deep in the Swiss alps, and stay there through a snowy winter until the spring thaws the freeze

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Mario Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
scoot back a bit; 30 years ago, when your classic was new, it could make the trip. 15 years ago, assuming servicing was adhered to, it would still do it. Now, if you've been careful with servicing, it will do the trip.

A car has no concept of speed or its age. As long as heart is strong because the regular consumables have been replaced (thanks to servicing etc), it'll plod along.

I'd love to drive a GTV6 in autumn to a chalet deep in the Swiss alps, and stay there through a snowy winter until the spring thaws the freeze
Now that is the trip to do and having done the alps in a classic italian lump it is one of the best drives you will ever do. Frank I believe you about the 33 as you are like the SAS with it "leave no one behind" as I use to love hoping in the old beasts and driving down to the docks to go on a UK midnight run for an event that I had only decided to go to a few hours before hand...

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Now that is the trip to do and having done the alps in a classic italian lump it is one of the best drives you will ever do. Frank I believe you about the 33 as you are like the SAS with it "leave no one behind" as I use to love hoping in the old beasts and driving down to the docks to go on a UK midnight run for an event that I had only decided to go to a few hours before hand...
So now you're revealing your agenda!

Although my brown Sud didn't make the Laois meet I would go anywhere in it.

Particularly if you and Frank were going!!!
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
I don't see it as a classic or not classic issue, modern cars has more electrics and other components to fail, old cars easier to fix on the roadside (I've seen Trabants' belt replaced with pentihose). Get your car well prepared (yourself are already well prepared by profession), and enjoy.
The Alps is amazing, have a look at the 4 pass ride, pop over to the Dolomites, I did it in September, it was the driving holiday of my life.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

If they were road legal i'd hop in the 33 or 75 tomorrow and do a trip no bother. the 75 seats ar surprisingly extremely comfy, last year I had been thinking of taking the 33 to the spring boxer day which is an anual event in the UK but didnt get around to it, maybe next year.......
Mario Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
If they were road legal i'd hop in the 33 or 75 tomorrow and do a trip no bother. the 75 seats ar surprisingly extremely comfy, last year I had been thinking of taking the 33 to the spring boxer day which is an anual event in the UK but didnt get around to it, maybe next year.......
Next years boxer meet could be a good one with the csud being 40

AO Member

County: Flintshire
Hi there,
I took my GTV on a 3000 mile European trip last Sept despite it only having covered 735 miles in the previous 14 months. It performed faultlessly and averaged 33mpg so definitely would take that in the morning.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Quote:
Next years boxer meet could be a good one with the csud being 40
must get onto the lads in the 33 section, they always put up a post about it around this time of year
Mario Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish5322 View Post
Hi there,
I took my GTV on a 3000 mile European trip last Sept despite it only having covered 735 miles in the previous 14 months. It performed faultlessly and averaged 33mpg so definitely would take that in the morning.
Well 2600km in a day and a half across europe in a fiat which had been parked up for over 10 years till I collected it that week but one of the most fun drive I have ever done....

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

is that in the FIAT that i drove Dave? the same FIAT that a 3 point turn turned into a 23 point turn in Kilkenny?
Mario Andretti

Thats her but your 3 point turn was good as did you forget it was rwd and you can turn it with the throttle

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I am Legend
Mario Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
I am Legend
Yes you are but I think someone had a more eventful blip in that car that day

AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I met 2 Scottish lads in Milan last June that had driven there from home in what I think was a 60s Spider (it was a 2 door soft top, white, that's all I remember). Pretty impressive.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsbaby View Post
That looks a good one but I cant find any more info on it, have they got a website? If its in september I've set myself the goal to get the 33 sorted, pick up me fatha in geordieland en route and go down to it. After all it was my Dads fault I got into Alfas, particulary the boxer. It would be a nice surprise for the old goat!

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellorhead View Post
That looks a good one but I cant find any more info on it, have they got a website? If its in september I've set myself the goal to get the 33 sorted, pick up me fatha in geordieland en route and go down to it. After all it was my Dads fault I got into Alfas, particulary the boxer. It would be a nice surprise for the old goat!
I think it's just a 'save the date' at the minute.
I plan to have my brown Sud sorted in time for it too...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
classic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page