Dead 166 3.0 Super (Black) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 55 Old 14-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Cry Like A Baby Dead 166 3.0 Super (Black)

Hi lads

I havent been on Alfaowner for quite some time... but here is my story.

I am the owner of a black 166. 3.0 Super. Im based in Waterford. The best car I have ever owned. Last week the timing belt went on her. Mileage is just over 90,000 last done at approx 50,000. I was gutted

Ive replaced her with a 159 TI which I bought on Monday (nice car but not a patch on the 166, dash, roar of the engine, luxury) etc.

My question is have any of you experience of belt letting go on the V6s? Like what the costs would be? The reason why is Im humming and hahing about keeping her.

Thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
..though break. have you considered a replacement engine..?

presumably if the belt snapped there's bent valves and things, so i suppose you could be looking at a couple of grand all-in realistically? Still if it's a nice car it could be worth doing, though it might be cheaper to simply buy another one and keep yours as a doner car.. not too many 3.0 supers around though.

Hope something works out with her anyhow...
Damien_C

Fixing it would be round the 2k mark I'd say all in as it would need valves etc. How much would ya sell the car for out of interest?

AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Hmm. This is a tough one. Autolusso quote £850 to repair a TS or JTD engine - don't seem to mention a V6 on their site.

I had a receipt for a TS rebuild on a 155 I used to own - was well north of IR£1,000 and I don't even think it was done right as the engine was subsequently replaced.

Getting a replacement engine is likely to cost as much as having the current engine rebuilt as you would more than likely have to buy the engine in the UK. Plus maybe all the ECUs etc. I think there was a 2.5V6 engine for sale on DoneDeal recently but I've not seen a 3.0 - and these only came in the 166 so very hard to find I'm sure.

As far as I can see, a 3.0 V6 Super is as rare as hens teeth over here, so the car is probably worth saving.

Getting a replacement engine is likely to cost as much as having the current engine rebuilt as you would more than likely have to buy the engine in the UK.

I am interested in a V6 166 at the moment, but if it was going to cost me €2,000 or so to have the engine rebuilt, I'd only be willing to offer €500 max for the car itself as it would need to be towed as well. If you're interested in selling, drop me a PM and we can discuss.

Would love to see this car saved no matter what.

As a matter of interest, when you had the timing belt done at 50,000 miles, did you replace the water pump with the recommended 'upgrade' with the metal impellers?

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulalfa166 View Post
Hi lads

I havent been on Alfaowner for quite some time... but here is my story.

I am the owner of a black 166. 3.0 Super. Im based in Waterford. The best car I have ever owned. Last week the timing belt went on her. Mileage is just over 90,000 last done at approx 50,000. I was gutted

Ive replaced her with a 159 TI which I bought on Monday (nice car but not a patch on the 166, dash, roar of the engine, luxury) etc.

My question is have any of you experience of belt letting go on the V6s? Like what the costs would be? The reason why is Im humming and hahing about keeping her.

Thanks

Paul
Paul,

My 2.0 TS burned an exhaust value two years ago and I chose to save the car.

Rebuild cost 2.5k but no regrets.

Gerry in TI Autos did the work and I was in with him today to sort a couple of niggles but the car is still running well and God willing has at least another 3/4 years in it.

Could also be a case of just hanging on to after that....
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

If you would like more details PM me...
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Unbelievable - look what just went on sale

Alfa Romeo for sale in Kildare : €700 - DoneDeal.ie

Wonder if there are any issues swapping an engine from a left hooker into a RHD car?

I've sent a PM to the OP as well. Should be able to get that 166 for less than €700.
Damien_C

Should be no issue.

(Post Link) post #9 of 55 Old 15-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

wow ccovich.... that is truly unbelieveable a donor car for 700... thanks a million for that .... I will talk to my mechanic tomorrow.... and ive sent you a PM...

Thanks damien too...

out of interest mick my mechanic said to me yesterday that he saw a belt fail on a 2.5 v6 a few years ago,,,, no valves belt at all!!! ,,, he just put on a new belt and the rest and all ok ... so u never know...

ive pmd both ccovich and roars... wait to hear back from ye...

the costs of doing the job seem really dear... it would seem to be more cost effective to buy a new 166... the best one around seems to be the 2.0 166 facelift in tramore but dont think i would be happy with the 2.0 after the 3.0.... its a truly iconic engine

cheers for the responses any further advice appreciated... Paul
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
I can help you to translate the Hungarian documents
Damien_C

Good man Levente

I would suggest buying the hungarian one man and just taking inlet mani off your's and just do it and lash a new built on the 166. Honestly they where haunted not to have a bent valve on that 2.5 I've never heard of one never bending a valve imo.

(Post Link) post #12 of 55 Old 15-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

thanks all for your helpful advice.... i spoke to mechanic today , and he is suggesting that it would be a more straightforward job to sort out the engine thats in the car,,, what he is saying is that he would prefer to fix my engine rather than swap one engine for another, he says that the belt tensioners and water pump from the donor car would probably need to be done anyway, and there may be issues with fitting the new engine (my car is 2000 reg and Irish reg, the other is 1998 and Hungarian)

I am going to have a think over the next few days to see what I will do ..... thanks all Paul
Damien_C

Who is your mechanic because all I can see from his idea of rebuilding the heads is trying to get more money out of you. It's easier to take a V6 engine out and do the belts with the engine out of the car than in the car and sure if the belts need to be done on the hungarian car so what you are doing them anyway.

And there should be little to now difference. All what is different between the CF2 engine and the CF3 is the exhaust the manifold and the inlet manifold has slightly different positionings on the ECU and some difference on the runners too that is all.

And your's being a 00 car and the hungarian being a 98 car they both should be a CF2 engine.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Has your mechanic actually seen the space he has to work with to change the belts on the V6 ? Waaaaay more easier to put a new engine in it and do the belts before.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

So everyone has removed and engine out of two cars and swapped them?
That's a savage of amount of work and you would have to do the belts etc.
Mario Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsbaby View Post
A serious amount of work but the heads could be different as some cf2s actually had cf3 head gaskets etc but like what roars did with his car getting a rebuild done leaves you with a known entity.

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Andretti View Post
A serious amount of work but the heads could be different as some cf2s actually had cf3 head gaskets etc but like what roars did with his car getting a rebuild done leaves you with a known entity.
Fair play Dave - just shows I don't always talk poop on here huh?
Mario Andretti

Quote:
Fair play Dave - just shows I don't always talk poop on here huh?
No further comment....

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Andretti View Post
No further comment....
Damien_C

Quote:
No but it is easier than rebuilding the whole top end by 2 have you seen the amount of work it is just to do the belts never mind to rebuild all the heads and valves. You will have to get rebuilt with re seating the valves and buying new valves and depending on the damage done you may have to valve guides etc.

It's a lot of work rebuilding it and yes there is a bit of work taking an engine out also but all you have to disconnect the good engine put new belts on it when it is on an engine stand much handier than doing it in situ. And the just put the new engine in. Personally it's what I would be doing.

The gasket maybe different but it doesn't matter due to I would assume both of these engines are CF2.

You are going to have to the belts anyway on the broken engine plus all the other work I have said. If it was me it's what I would do. And over time rebuild the V6 to have a spare engine if I had the time and the space.

Swaping engines in Alfa's isn't that hard if you are a competant mechanic.

(Post Link) post #21 of 55 Old 16-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

hi my mechanic has alot of experience with alfas and he said to me his strong preference is not to swap the engines, as there is less work involved in the rebuild than the swap...

i will also have to take into account that my car is only a two owner car, 90k miles, doesnt consume oil between services and no issues to date...

I think I will tow the car to him and let him have a look,,, i will let ye know how it goes , thanks very much for all your help
Damien_C

That's cool if he feels it's the right way to go who am I to argue. Hopefully you can get it back on the road soon they are a great car I'm going to delete one of your duplicate posts if that's ok.

(Post Link) post #23 of 55 Old 19-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Attention Ciaran

Hi Ciaran

This is a pic of the car taken at the end of August; used as a wedding car for my sister in laws wedding.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa 166 wedding.jpg (26.0 KB, 42 views)
Damien_C

That is mint, why wasn't this around last year when I would have bought it.

(Post Link) post #25 of 55 Old 23-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
That is mint, why wasn't this around last year when I would have bought it.
Thanks Damien.

Car is indeed (nearly) mint, two very small shopping trolley bumps and mark on back door, interior almost as new. Everything works on the car. At a recent wedding, where number plates were covered, some guests thought it was at 11 car.

She was sold yesterday, and may reappear for sale so if you are still interested in buying it I can vouch for the car. Im attaching a pic of her going away (sadly not been washed for the last fortnight)

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22102011.jpg (64.7 KB, 24 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , black , dead , super

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page