On my 2nd 166 and things are different... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Longford
On my 2nd 166 and things are different...

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on a few little things that concern me about a 166 I just got, all of which are either problems or configuration differences:

1) My 1st 166 started and the radio/ICS unit powered on -every time, no problem.
On my new 166, the ICS comes on but asks for code each time before it will operate
It then has its time wrong and has defaulted to km/l instead of mls/gl and so on.
Despite setting everything, upon next restart of engine, code is required and system
is back to defaults. Does anyone know what might be going on?

2) This 166 has a key like my wife's 146 key with just one button, my previous 166 had a
key with two buttons, one for boot and one for lock/unlock doors, so I tried the button
in the glove box to open the boot and no response. So, the only way to open the boot
is to go to it with the key. Any ideas?

3) After turning engine off and removing key, the ICS screen dies but the audio of the radio
station continues to come from the speakers for 5 seconds or so, this is weird and again,
not how my previous 166 behaved....

4) When arming/disarming the car only the drivers side indicators flash, my previous 166
always flashed all indicators. Under normal driving, the indicators all work fine so it's not
bulbs!

5) possibly related to point 4, the alarm etc. always activates, but the doors (central
locking) only locks the doors "sometimes" but when disarming, the doors (if locked),
always unlock! It's getting weirder I know.... lol

Thanks for reading this far.....! And hopefully someone out there can help/advise based on experience of similar things.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Meath

Member car:

Mito,Montreal.

Can't really help much but my 166 doesn't do any of those things. I have twobutton key.

For 1, it sounds like it is losing power when switched off. This is not right as the code should only be needed when the battery is disconnected.

For 2, sounds like the boot actuator is gone.

For 3,4,5 all sound incorrect.

Worth checking all the fuses under the drivers right knee. The are a few their called services which impact lights etc

Good luck...

[QUOTE=Fixtronix;4413500]Hi all,
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on a few little things that concern me about a 166 I just got, all of which are either problems or configuration differences:

1) My 1st 166 started and the radio/ICS unit powered on -every time, no problem.
On my new 166, the ICS comes on but asks for code each time before it will operate
It then has its time wrong and has defaulted to km/l instead of mls/gl and so on.
Despite setting everything, upon next restart of engine, code is required and system
is back to defaults. Does anyone know what might be going on?

2) This 166 has a key like my wife's 146 key with just one button, my previous 166 had a
key with two buttons, one for boot and one for lock/unlock doors, so I tried the button
in the glove box to open the boot and no response. So, the only way to open the boot
is to go to it with the key. Any ideas?

3) After turning engine off and removing key, the ICS screen dies but the audio of the radio
station continues to come from the speakers for 5 seconds or so, this is weird and again,
not how my previous 166 behaved....

4) When arming/disarming the car only the drivers side indicators flash, my previous 166
always flashed all indicators. Under normal driving, the indicators all work fine so it's not
bulbs!

5) possibly related to point 4, the alarm etc. always activates, but the doors (central
locking) only locks the doors "sometimes" but when disarming, the doors (if locked),
always unlock! It's getting weirder I know.... lol

Thanks for reading this far.....! And hopefully someone out there can help/advise based on experience of similar things.

David[/QUOTE]
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
The ICS has a permanent live (not sure which wire it is) looks like yours is no longer permanent.

If the ICS itself is at fault, I've a working one here you could fit to see if that cures the symptoms.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , 2nd , things

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page