Query about 166 bushings - yawn, I know!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 05-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Longford
Query about 166 bushings - yawn, I know!!

Hi all,

My 166 has failed the NCT over a bushing in the rear multilink suspension.

I know the 166 is famous for this issue, having owned and enjoyed several 166's since 2000 I've been there more than once and often payed major €'s for them to be re-done.

My questions are:

a) can anyone recommend or advise on experience with POWERFLEX bushings? They claim to be a permanent fix and a better solution than the rubber bushings available from Alfa Romeo dealers. They sell non-rubber replacements for all bushings (front & rear) for the 166 and I'm tempted.

b) Can these be replaced as a DIY job? I don't have a pit or a lift, but do have a trolley jack (courtesy of Lidl !!) and could raise rear of car etc. I don't know much about taking off and replacing parts on cars, but in these economic times I'm willing to try - so if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it. I have all common tools at hand.

c) If it's not recommended as a DIY job, can anyone recommend a mechanic in the vacinity of county Longford who understands Alfa's and their owners passions etc.? i.e. a mechanic who cares!

Many thanks for reading my woes and I hope someone can help me out :-)

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixtronix View Post
Hi all,

My 166 has failed the NCT over a bushing in the rear multilink suspension.

I know the 166 is famous for this issue, having owned and enjoyed several 166's since 2000 I've been there more than once and often payed major 's for them to be re-done.

My questions are:

a) can anyone recommend or advise on experience with POWERFLEX bushings? They claim to be a permanent fix and a better solution than the rubber bushings available from Alfa Romeo dealers. They sell non-rubber replacements for all bushings (front & rear) for the 166 and I'm tempted.

b) Can these be replaced as a DIY job? I don't have a pit or a lift, but do have a trolley jack (courtesy of Lidl !!) and could raise rear of car etc. I don't know much about taking off and replacing parts on cars, but in these economic times I'm willing to try - so if anyone can advise I'd appreciate it. I have all common tools at hand.

c) If it's not recommended as a DIY job, can anyone recommend a mechanic in the vacinity of county Longford who understands Alfa's and their owners passions etc.? i.e. a mechanic who cares!

Many thanks for reading my woes and I hope someone can help me out :-)

Cheers
Hi Fix I would say "and welcome" but it looks as though you've been here since 2002 making you one of the oldest members!!

Regarding the bushes it might be better to post the question in the 166 lounge to garner opinion on powerflex and the fix itself. I have heard some mixed reviews on powerflex and people seem to vary in opinion based on the model they are used on.
Alfa 164 & 166 - Alfa Romeo Forum

For recomended mechanics near you check out the following thread there is bound to be one near you (most should be in the first post but try doing a thread search in case any were missed in/near Longford.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...f-ireland.html

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Gav

Like AO - RoI on Facebook AO - RoI Facebook Group

Subscribe to AO - RoI on YouTube AO RoI YouTube

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cogito ergo sumo Alfa
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Quite a few people use them in the 164-166 lounge, but they also squeek loudly and some people sait they are too harsh. tbh I don't think Alfa sells bushes, just the whole suspension arm together. Call Gerry, and ask for his opinion.
AO Member

County: Dublin
My 166 also failed based on the rear bushings, apparently its a common fault. There are a couple of good guides on here and here

I am going to give them a go and ordered the bushes from ebay which I am really hoping are the right ones Hope the go in as planned. Will keep you posted on how I get on.

Hope this helps.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

hi fix, i have been advised by gerry in Ti to never go with the poly bushes because as klap said they are noisy but he said everybody who has requested he fit them came back to him within weeks asking him to refit the oem and didnt like them at all.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

I did the rear bushes (not fitted them but Mechanic did the work ) and was going to polybushe them but as said they are not recommended as the bush (poly) is not "flexible" . There's a merc bush which is reasonable and can be got at reasonable money ( around 30 yoyo's I think is what I paid for them but would need to check again!) . They can be done but you will need a press to get the old ones out and new ones in .. Let me know if you need the part number for the merc bush I know I have the info somewhere and I can dig out the info if you wish , Theres a guy we use but hes in cork which is probably too far away for you . And welcome along , another 166 owner

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

I've a Twinspark and Gerry in TI replaced the ARB bushes and they weren't expensive...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Arb bushes are different ?? The bushes he's talking about are on the HUB ? Maybe Im going senile again
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 08-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Longford
Thanks Gav, I had a 2yo 166 in 2002 and loved it for 5 years. I joined here to seek out other Irish 166 owners only to find none at the time!
Great to see there's now a Republic of Ireland group, I must "join" if that's the right terminology.
I sold my 166 in 2008 and bought a Saab. But now, I am happy to say I'm back in a 166 and loving it all over again
The 166 really is the motor industry's best kept secret and I'm delighted to be enjoying one again.
I'll have to do a bit more thinking and research about these bushes options and see what I'll decide to do....
Thanks all for the advice and comments.
David
Mario Andretti

The full rear bush kits are available through italy and they are the original bushes...

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Arb bushes are different ?? The bushes he's talking about are on the HUB ? Maybe Im going senile again
My bad old dude!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Less of the bad and even more less of the old !!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Less of the bad and even more less of the old !!

County: Limerick

Member car:

166 TS / 147 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Andretti View Post
The full rear bush kits are available through italy and they are the original bushes...
I hope these are not the ones that you mentioned

ALFA ROMEO 166 da 98 in poi SILENT BLOCK FUSO E BRACCI POSTERIORI COMPLETO | eBay

because they are made in Poland by a garage company called TEDGUM.

I have all the rear wishbones fitted with powerflex and never had a bother with them. You just have literally dip them in the copper grease before fitting.
AO Member

Some info here

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...eal-price.html

along with the shopping list that currently being fitted to mine ...

Variator
Lacken156

Merc E190 use the same bush, easily avaialble from Auto Factors for €20 each

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , bushings , query , yawn

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page