Warranty Question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 27-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

156 1.6TS

Warranty Question

Hi guys,
Quick question. I've just bought a '09 159. It was originally purchased in the UK, and imported by its first (and only other) owner. It won't be three years old until March of next year. Does anyone have any idea how I can transfer the remaining warranty to me.

Car is great, clutch pedal creak notwithstanding!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
I've no idea but if no one else has any answers maybe give ARUK or AR Ireland a call, also the 3rd year will be a dealer not a manafactures warranty & I don't know if that can be transferred from the UK ?
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
You might have to go north of the border to get any warranty work done, but I'm not entirely sure about that one. Worth investigating though.
Mario Andretti

Give customer care a shout in fiat ireland and if you have a problem get in touch as i am still in touch with them up there

Damien_C

Give Cathal H on here a Pm he brought in two cars from the UK.

AO Silver Member

Hi .. I managed to make a 3rd year warranty claim from uk on my imported 159...
It was a pain and took a few months of messing to get the cash bacj.

I bought the car when it was 6 months old. I registered the car with Alfa UK using some card in the oweners manual. It cost stg14 to transfer the manufacture warranty to my address

The 3rd year warrantty is with Alfacare-UK and not Alfa Romeo...again another form in the user manual to be filled in abd posted off to the UK to "opt in" for year three warranty

To make a claim quote chassis number and UK REG number. Get a quote from local AR dealership. Get pre authorisation from Alfacare beforevstarting work....

Thats how it worked for me anyway. I paid for work up front then submitted invoice for reimbursement....

Alfacare attempted to balk on payment saying reregistered cars or exports were not covered...but months of chasing them paid off..

Fiat Ireland or Alfa Ireland won't touch a UK import with a barge pole if the car is older than 24 months

Pm me if you want to talk on phone. I can give you phone numbers

I'm typing thus post on my phone hence crappy reply...

Cheers
Cathal

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

Last edited by Cathal_H; 27-09-11 at 20:50.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal_H View Post
Hi .. I managed to make a 3rd year warranty claim from uk on my imported 159...
It was a pain and took a few months of messing to get the cash bacj.

I bought the car when it was 6 months old. I registered the car with Alfa UK using some card in the oweners manual. It cost stg14 to transfer the manufacture warranty to my address

The 3rd year warrantty is with Alfacare-UK and not Alfa Romeo...again another form in the user manual to be filled in abd posted off to the UK to "opt in" for year three warranty

To make a claim quote chassis number and UK defo number. Get a quote from local AR dealership. Get pre authorisation from Alfacare beforevstarting work....

Thats how it worked for me anyway. I paid for work up front then submitted invoice for reimbursement....

Alfacare attempted to balk on payment saying reregistered cars or exports were not covered...but months of chasing them paid off..

Fiat Ireland or Alfa Ireland won't touch a UK import with a barge pole if the car is older than 24 months

I'm typing thus post on my phone hence crappy reply...

Cheers
Cathal
I'm sure Gav will understand and be gracious!!!
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 27-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.6TS

Thanks all - very helpful!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsbaby View Post
I'm sure Gav will understand and be gracious!!!
Sound thanks.....

By the way OP the squeaky clutch will eventually lead to a failure of a plastic runner up under the dashboard... The clutch will feel clunky and stick to the floor the very.odd time. The replacement part is euro35.... But the dealership labour is euro600 as apparently is a dash out job..... If your car is not three years old yet phone Alfa Ireland asap you might be lucky

Or contact them on Facebook... Honestly I've seen a customer get sorted by contacting them by writing their issue on their wall....
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Hi .. I managed to make a 3rd year on my imported 159...
It was a pain and took a few months of messing to get the cash back!!?.

I bought it when it was 6 months old. I registered the car with Alfa UK using some card in the oweners manual. It cost stg14 to transfer the manufacture warranty to my address

The 3rd year warrantty is with Mothercare-UK and not Alfa Romeo...

Fiat Ireland or Alfa Ireland won't import a barge pole if the car is older than 24 months

Cheers
Cathal

Errrm phone numbers!!!?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Errrm phone numbers!!!?
Em.... Yes... Let's just say there are.professional people out there that are available to hire.to get stuff.done... they are very persuasive....

Naw... It was just at the time I had some numbers for some lads at r Alfacare... I need to dig them out....
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Em.... Yes... Let's just say there are.professional people out there that are available to hire.to get stuff.done... they are very persuasive....

Naw... It was just at the time I had some numbers for some lads at r Alfacare... I need to dig them out....
Was it you that had the issue when making the claim that one guy said you would be covered when you checked ahead of getting the work done but then when you claimed a second guy said you weren't covered? Then when you pushedback on them they listened back to the taped phone call with the first guy and they had to conseed that because the first guy said it is covered that they will reimburse you but it wasn't the norm....
Sorry if that was someone else...
AO Silver Member

Yes that was true...

They gave pre-authorization to do the work.. after I submitted the invoice they reneged.

They said the car was not covered because it was re-registered and the number plate changed... em what about custom plate in the UK??

Anyway it took a while but some manager played back the original phone call(s) and agreed I had explained the car was located in Ireland and I was given the go ahead to do the work... fair play to them.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Yes that was true...

They gave pre-authorization to do the work.. after I submitted the invoice they reneged.

They said the car was not covered because it was re-registered and the number plate changed... em what about custom plate in the UK??

Anyway it took a while but some manager played back the original phone call(s) and agreed I had explained the car was located in Ireland and I was given the go ahead to do the work... fair play to them.
"This call may be recorded for quality and training purposes."
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsbaby View Post
"This call may be recorded for quality and training purposes."

I'll never complain about this message again...

Have to say Alfacare (UK) were good sports about it too in the end. Even when they were disputing the claim they were terribly polite and really nice to talk to on the phone. I found it difficult to get revved up on the phone and give-out because they were such nice people.. honestly. But the best bit was their system couldn't process euros...only Sterling pounds....so the invoice submitted was treated as pounds.

At the time I contacted Alfa/FIAT Ireland too 7 times, left messages and emails... I got one call back saying the car was bought outside the market region so they could/would do nothing. (Even though the issue was a known regular issue). I understand I didn't buy the car in Ireland etc so 'they' didn't get the sale... but it was the snooty way I was spoken too... it was kinda like "WOOAHH! You bought a UK import?! You naughty naughty boy! Stand in the corner for an hour, and, you're lucky we'll sell you parts here in our dealership network for your nasty import car.. how dare you. After all that is a UK car not an Irish car."

I suppose if buying a car from the UK the savings needs to be significant... such that if something goes wrong you're still ahead of the game financially.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well Cathal , I was in The Lee Garage recently when an english tourist had an issue with his Fiat 500 Abarth and there was no question about it being fixed here in Ireland under warranty , so if Fiat/Alfa can fix UK cars here in ireland I cant see how they cannot do the opposite , but all dealers have a problem with warranty work . They try to wriggle out of every thing they can , persistance is your only man
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Fair play Cathal. When I imported mine from the UK I asked a Dublin AR dealer out of interest if they covered the 3rd year here and they said flat out no, that it was only 2 years here. Lot to be said for persistency and not taking any cr*p.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
question , warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page