Alfa Romeo GT - Clutch Gone - Price - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 15-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 Ti

Alfa Romeo GT - Clutch Gone - Price

CLutch has just gone in my GT JTD. Its after being towed to storage. Ive been told it can be brought to Tallaght Fiat for no extra cost on my insurance. I was hoping to get it to TI.

Anyone know what price i'd be looking here? I can bring it to another garage but it would cost.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Your insurance company might have an approved list of mechanics that they will tow to but check with them first because you may be able to convince them to bring her to your preferred place, you can usually arrange a time and place for pick up as well. I'm with Aviva and they had no problem droping mine anywhere at no cost.

Wth regards to the repair best thing to do is to ring whatever mechanic and get a quote from them, even if it is a ball park, but they usually wont be able to accurately quote unless they know what the problem is as it may be repareable.

When mine went a few months ago I feared the worst but all that it required was a new seal. €30 parts, €80 labour with TI. From what I hear dealerships have a tendancy to replace with a new part rather then repair which is obviously more expensive.

What exactly is wrong with the clutch?

Like AO - RoI on Facebook AO - RoI Facebook Group

Subscribe to AO - RoI on YouTube AO RoI YouTube

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cogito ergo sumo Alfa
(Post Link) post #3 of 21 Old 16-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Hi Gav thanks for the reply. I stopped at traffic lights and tried to get back in gear to take off. When I put my foot on the clutch theres a lot of grinding and it wont go into gear. It'll go into gear with the engine off. I don't know enough to describe any better. It sounds like somethings being ripped apart under the hood somewhere.

I asked the guy last night and he said TI would be too far to get it brought to under insurance (although its the same distance from my hme as Tallaght!). I'll have to ring the insurance company now this morning. Its currently stored out in Tallaght.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Have you tried dropping a hint of a brown envelope?

I did this with the AA in the UK. We were on the way to Santa Pod when the car overheated. We were say 20 miles from my mates house and 5 miles from nearest authorised repairer. We offered the guy a few quid extra in the pocket and he took us to my mates house.
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 16-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Kicked up a fuss this morning and have it on the way to TI. Going to cost 700+ I think.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Good news , at least you will know that Gerry will sort it out for you
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 16-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Yeah I just a phobia of main dealerships! He said the symptoms I described sounded very strange that its not something usual for the model so hoping there isn't also other underlying damage
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Naw the Jtd's are a fine motor , it may be something small , hopefully it is .
Damien_C

That's bollicks they have to drop it where ever you want them to drop it.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

not true Damo, I hd to get my 155 put on a truck to a garage and I told the driver Ti Autos but he said he was instructe to take it to the nearest competent Alfa Garage. I rang the insurance company and told them Ti is the nearest competent one but they said no Airton Motors was, in the end I had to pay the driver to take it to Ti
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 16-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Same fight i had. They tried to convince me then that tallaght was closer to harolds cross than TI. Was told i had to pay 100 extra. She tried to convince me tallaght was 3k closer and they were the closest competent. Did some google map distances.

Think a lot of it was the tow company. Their in tallaght so think they just wanted a handy one.

Talking to gerry this evening and he'd only just started looking. Was trying to get to root but didnt look good. Said whole thing looks to have fell apart.

Just hoping theres no underlying damage. Hasnt damaged my love for my first alfa though!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdunne View Post
Same fight i had. They tried to convince me then that tallaght was closer to harolds cross than TI. Was told i had to pay 100 extra. She tried to convince me tallaght was 3k closer and they were the closest competent. Did some google map distances.

Think a lot of it was the tow company. Their in tallaght so think they just wanted a handy one.

Talking to gerry this evening and he'd only just started looking. Was trying to get to root but didnt look good. Said whole thing looks to have fell apart.

Just hoping theres no underlying damage. Hasnt damaged my love for my first alfa though!
Total shot in the dark guess is that your pressure plate has failed.
If it was the friction plate you probably would have noticed the clutch 'slip' where you rev hard and go nowhere.
Could be way wrong of course.
Gav's was just a slave cylinder if I remember correctly. Different part of the clutch 'system.'

Hopefully a 'once in a lifetime' job!

(PS sorry for all the 'cliches')
(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 16-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

To be honest i dont even know enough to describe it properly. Basically went while braking and clutching for a light, lot of chugging, went out of gear and hasnt been back in gear since. Nearly sounded like a metal wire bashing off anything it could hit in the engine when i put the foot on the clutch.

Not a very technical diagnosis!
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
not true Damo, I hd to get my 155 put on a truck to a garage and I told the driver Ti Autos but he said he was instructe to take it to the nearest competent Alfa Garage. I rang the insurance company and told them Ti is the nearest competent one but they said no Airton Motors was, in the end I had to pay the driver to take it to Ti
I've had to get cars towed before and they have always gone thorugh insurance and gone where I wanted them to go.

(Post Link) post #15 of 21 Old 17-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Distance to nearest main dealer and within that distance nearest competent repairer apparently. With zurich anyway.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

When My Dieseasal broke a suspension (and nearly killed me) there was no problem as to where I wanted it towed and that was only 3rd party Fire and theft . The insurance was with Aviva at the time , perhaps its an Insurance company thing ?
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 30-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Just to update this. Had the clutch replaced and running smoothly now. Cost 610 after being quoted between 700 and 750 originally as he had the part lieing about.

The diagnosis was the clutch release bearing breaking up.

Hopefully get some trouble free driving for a while now!
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Just to update this. Had the clutch replaced and running smoothly now. Cost 610 after being quoted between 700 and 750 originally as he had the part lieing about.

The diagnosis was the clutch release bearing breaking up.

Hopefully get some trouble free driving for a while now!
Glad to hear jk. Who did you get it fixed with in the end?
(Post Link) post #19 of 21 Old 30-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Brought it to Gerry in TI. Said it was very unusual for the mileage on it. Reckoned the previous owner had been a bit of a clutch hoverer. I'd only put around 2000k on it since buying. 60k on the clock. Clutch was always stiff but from looking up here thats just usual.

Just got unlucky with it I guess
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Brought it to Gerry in TI. Said it was very unusual for the mileage on it. Reckoned the previous owner had been a bit of a clutch hoverer. I'd only put around 2000k on it since buying. 60k on the clock. Clutch was always stiff but from looking up here thats just usual.

Just got unlucky with it I guess
Good to hear he sorted it for you!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

good to hear that its fine now Gerry is a top bloke

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , clutch , price , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page