Right side indicator having a freak out each morning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Right side indicator having a freak out each morning

Hi all.
I have noticed since last Friday morning is when I start up the car in the morning and indicate right to pull out that that it flashes at twice the speed and then gives me bulb failure on the dashboard. Then weirdly once I get on the road the bulb failure goes from the dashboard and it seems to work perfectly. Any ideas folks?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
You drive an Alfa.. she is trying to tell you something... did you look at another car recently? Anything of Germanic origin will annoy the hell of out an Alfa...

When the dash light flashes twice the speed it's a warning that one of the amber bulbs (outside the car) is blown.

The fact it cure's itself points to an intermittent connection on one of the outside bulbs.. I'm afraid you're going to have to remove the front, back and side bulbs (on the offending side) and clean the contacts in the connector housing and on the bulbs it self. You might notice some corrosion on the bulb connector or even some signs of 'arcing' in there.. either way contact spray will clean out the crap... and you might have to use some fine sandpaper or (wife's/girlfriend's emery board) to remove the tough stuff to get back to bare metal. up to now the vibration of the car driving on the road is 'fixing' the problem.. but long term it will/may burn out the connector (in my limited experience).

EDIT: get someone to hit the brake lights.. check the rear right cluster.. are ALL the lights illuminating at half strength? if so there may be a loose ground connection in there..

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Just a additional note I think the 'bulb knackered' warning light only stays on around 10/15 seconds anyway - that's normal function...

County: Cork
Garage
It's a permanent indicator for a bulb fault on the 147.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
freak , indicator , morning , side

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page