Running Costs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

Running Costs

Evenin' all,
Since getting my 156 1.8 I've out up 81k miles to a total of 144k. The total service costs including other small items (wishbones, track rod arms) have been an average of 720 per 12k miles.

How does that compare with others??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijk View Post
Evenin' all,
Since getting my 156 1.8 I've out up 81k miles to a total of 144k. The total service costs including other small items (wishbones, track rod arms) have been an average of 720 per 12k miles.

How does that compare with others??????
Over 2000 over a 2 year period so far
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

Mysterio,
What mileage do you do over a year? Reason I ask is that I'm considering changing (in a year or two ) to a 2.0 jts and am trying to gauge whether my experience is average or what.

Mine is thirstier than others I've seen on this forum (best 32mpg driven v. gently). Worst (early 20's driven hard). This is after maf and all that re-done.

I'd hope I get more years from mine though. The 144k is impressive and it still seems able for more judging by general feel.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Around 15k per year. Mostly driven in Town, city centre and my mpg is between 22-25. If you want better consumption I'd recommend a 1.9JTD.

On the 2.0JTS, Dermo on here has had one and I am sure he will come along later and comment on the engine
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

Yes. The mpg doesn't bother me so much as the general service costs. Seems I'm lucky enough on that score, though the service after next one will be timing belt at about 157k miles will be a big bill.

Thing that bugs me though is that people go on about them being expensive to service etc. They're not that bad. I know a guy who had a blown turbo on a 4 yr old audi a4 2.0diesel-5k repair bill!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

And along comes Dermo..

Well the 2.0 JTS has more torque , mine a 04 Ti ran 138 BHP and 144 Lbs of torque so felt quicker , Well When I bought it the Thermostat was gone and it averaged 23.9 ( thats the Alfa Computer !) so evrybody on the 156 thread seemed to be getting better Mileage , so changed the stat ! guess what it went up to 24.6 !!! but I could get it to do 9 miles a gallon ... Really if you want MPG get a diseasal but if you need to check the MPG dont drive an alfa . My 166 is doing 21 so take your pick !!

What I do is loads of right foot and lots and lots of

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

138 bhp from the 2.0 jts? mpg isn't as important as general servicing. That's where the big surprises are.

Would you reccomend the 2.0 jts over the 1.8 or 2.0 TS?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well I've had the 1.6TS and the 2.0 TS in the 147's I owned , but theres not much between them and the JTS . JTS seemed faster but it was only the torque pulling it along and pulled further down the rev range which seemed faster . They (Alfa) quote 150BHP for the TS and 165 for the JTS , and as above the JTS on rolling road put out 138 BHP ! I cant remember what the 2.0 Ts put out but I'm sure one of the other lads on here will have the data from the RR . In the 4 TS's i have owned havnt really found one more expensive than the other TBH. But I have found (with any car i have owned ) keep doing the Bits and pieces which will cut down on the big bills one has to pay . We could go into other marques regarding reliability and price of parts but many parts are interchangable between Fiat and Alfa and some parts can be sourced cheaper that way .. Which one would I prefer , possibly the JTS just for the low down grunt . Try and drive a JTS most are 03/04 onwards .
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

You're right about the keeping the bits and pieces in place. Makes a big difference to keeping the big problems at bay, hence the 145k I've covered. Mainly thanks to Gerry though.

Don't mean to seem like I'm fastidious about costs though and I've always hated diesel regardless of how irrational that is.

The car I got was 2nd hand and I'm 3rd owner and guaranteee I'll buy another alfa when this one is done but it's served me so well and goes so great I wonder sometimes why I'd bother.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well you are right , is there a particular reason you want to get shut of the 1.8 Ts ? If Gerry is looking after it it will last way into 200 K Miles . Eddie on here has a 166 2.0 Ts with 250K miles ( yes MILES) on his with very little hassle ( your normal wear and tear bits have been replaced on it) but If i had my way I would still be driving my 147 2.0 . This was sold with 104K miles on it (and original Variator !) but had all the love and attention it required over the years , If you've got a good one (which it seems you have ) keep it they are a great car and one of the best handling cars out there considering there age and suspension set up. For the sake of the extra few HP's in my opinion its not worth it as you know what has been done to your own car and you may get hidden problems with any you purchase and would it not be better to spend the money on your current car ?
(Post Link) post #11 of 18 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

No reason to get shut of it at all, especially when you mention others with 200k miles or more.

Reading what you've said I'd be mad to get rid of it and should trust the potential rather than worrying about it going bang some day.

I do enjoy it alot, great power for the cc and still going as good as when it was 63k old.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

It wont go bang , My 166 has 118k miles on it and doesnt miss a beat , My son's 156 00 1.6 has 120k miles and still running perfectly . So if you mind them like a lady , they will give you many years of pleasure and the smile factor is always a bonus
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

Smile factor? Definitely! Guess what? I took a day off last week, drove to a Cork scrapyard to get a matching africa grigio metallic bootlid to replace mine after a hit and run (bullbar or lowering platform truck job without dobut). Was lucky to get right colour and 1.8 letters!

So, if anyone sees a 156 this colour with a paw-marked bootlid, it's mine.

A thing I must get sorted is the sideskirts. They're coming away from the body. Anyone else with this problem? How to sort out? Ghastly mastic? Or will tightening the bolts pull them back?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

No I'll find the name of the stuff in a minute , got it from a Panel beater a while back for buddy of mine for his side skirts (non Alfa !) it needs to be dry and best if theres heat applied but must be clamped at least ..

*runs off to find stuff's name *

It was in the shed !!

its called teroson .. Type terostat 9220

Google is your friend !
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

Good on ya! Needed a brand name. Looks like it's flexible enough to use on cills. Should be handy enough to order online.
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
And along comes Dermo..

Well the 2.0 JTS has more torque , mine a 04 Ti ran 138 BHP and 144 Lbs of torque so felt quicker , Well When I bought it the Thermostat was gone and it averaged 23.9 ( thats the Alfa Computer !) so evrybody on the 156 thread seemed to be getting better Mileage , so changed the stat ! guess what it went up to 24.6 !!! but I could get it to do 9 miles a gallon ... Really if you want MPG get a diseasal but if you need to check the MPG dont drive an alfa . My 166 is doing 21 so take your pick !!

What I do is loads of right foot and lots and lots of
My TS had over 143 bhp on the rolling road last year
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijk View Post
Good on ya! Needed a brand name. Looks like it's flexible enough to use on cills. Should be handy enough to order online.
The only thing is that the itll be the body work that will fall off the skirts
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
My TS had over 143 bhp on the rolling road last year
Cheers GAV knew someone would have the details of the TS

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
costs , running

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page