It started off as two jobs - to replace the exhaust front pipe and spray the front bumper.
Why is it that nothing is as simple as it appears?
When I took the bumper off (which in itself was a PITA) I noticed quite a lot of rust forming around the front of the car. The last 2 winters of salted roads haven't been good for my aging 155.
Then I noticed that all the fins had rotted and fallen off the radiator
So I started stripping everything back and after plenty of elbow grease,wire brushing, rust killer and hammerite and waxoil I was happy that I had caught it in time, and preserved it for a few years.
So off with the exhaust (another PITA on the front driveway) and the manifolds. Then as I was looking at it I said that this would be a great time to change the belts while I had lots of access to everything.
So off with the cam covers to do the belts and and I noticed that the business end of cam lobe over cylinder one was missing
When I took out the cam I found the tappet was fooked as well
Not good news and it probably spells the beginning of the end for this engine
But having done so much work at this point I decided to keep going.
Cue plenty of faffing about with my toy micrometer trying to measure all the journals and bearings.
Everthing seemed ok so after pulling a replacement cam and buying a new shiny set of tappets I put it all back in the engine, still wondering where the missing bits of the old cam went!
Refitted the exhaust system today, and hope to get it started tomorrow once I get the water and air intake systems fitted.
This is it this evening, hope to have an update tomorrow