155 dramas - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 50 Old 20-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

County: -
155 dramas

It started off as two jobs - to replace the exhaust front pipe and spray the front bumper.
Why is it that nothing is as simple as it appears?

When I took the bumper off (which in itself was a PITA) I noticed quite a lot of rust forming around the front of the car. The last 2 winters of salted roads haven't been good for my aging 155.
Then I noticed that all the fins had rotted and fallen off the radiator
So I started stripping everything back and after plenty of elbow grease,wire brushing, rust killer and hammerite and waxoil I was happy that I had caught it in time, and preserved it for a few years.

So off with the exhaust (another PITA on the front driveway) and the manifolds. Then as I was looking at it I said that this would be a great time to change the belts while I had lots of access to everything.
So off with the cam covers to do the belts and and I noticed that the business end of cam lobe over cylinder one was missing

http://www.greencloverleaf.com/images/cam_lobe_worn.JPG

When I took out the cam I found the tappet was fooked as well
http://www.greencloverleaf.com/image...orn_tappet.JPG

Not good news and it probably spells the beginning of the end for this engine

But having done so much work at this point I decided to keep going.
Cue plenty of faffing about with my toy micrometer trying to measure all the journals and bearings.
http://www.greencloverleaf.com/images/Photo1299.jpg

Everthing seemed ok so after pulling a replacement cam and buying a new shiny set of tappets I put it all back in the engine, still wondering where the missing bits of the old cam went!
http://www.greencloverleaf.com/images/Photo1301.jpg

Refitted the exhaust system today, and hope to get it started tomorrow once I get the water and air intake systems fitted.
This is it this evening, hope to have an update tomorrow
http://www.greencloverleaf.com/images/Photo1315.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Fair play to you. Great to see another curator of the Alfa moving museum of art.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

nice Morgan, top job as always, when i removed my rocker cover to fit a new gaket I made a total balls of resealing it had to drop it into Ti Autos to get it done in the end.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Nice bit of reengineering work there man.

Is a chunk of metal missing from the cam or is it worn down? I can't see the Picts propely on silly little phone.
Unregistered

County: Wexford
You may want to blow back thro the oil way that feeds that tappet. Worn cam lobe equals oil starvation or else the lobe got damaged during a cam belt change.

Overall, well played you Sir
Mario Andretti

Do not blow air against the natural flow of the oil system as you can air lock the oil pump very easily

AO Member

Super job Morgan, and thanks for the help with my job.
Read somewhere the cam lobes on cylinder one suffer the most wear due to being closest to the oil filler cap, dust and grit falling in. Having said that I would have thought that theory would only apply to the inlet lobes as I dont think you can see the exhaust cam lobes.
(Post Link) post #8 of 50 Old 21-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red156Ti View Post
You may want to blow back thro the oil way that feeds that tappet. Worn cam lobe equals oil starvation or else the lobe got damaged during a cam belt change.

Overall, well played you Sir
I have ruled out oil starvation because all the caps and bearing surfaces are ok. Unless I'm mistaken the oil that lubricates the lobes is just splash oil that reaches the head through the grooves in the cam bearings?

I've put it down to age and mileage for the moment but will open it up after a bit to inspect it again.
The other possibility is that this is a result of 4 full days at Mondello.
When turning right the splash oil in the head will slosh away from no1 cylinder side, where the failure happened.......

Visitors here at the moment so I'm struggling to get out to it and put it back together
Unregistered

all that makes sense
(Post Link) post #10 of 50 Old 21-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

Well I'll probably find out in a 1000 miles or so

Not too optimistic about this engine, it's been pushed hard and has 150k miles on it.
I was hoping to make the 155k miles because..... well it's a 155.
If it all goes pear shaped I'll probably put the 166 engine into it. It's a good car, only belonged to one person before me and I've had it for 60k miles!
Damien_C

Hopefully you'll get to that mileage Fair dues for keeping it on the road.

(Post Link) post #12 of 50 Old 22-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

Cheers Damien, I plan to keep it going for a while yet.

I'll have the engine running tomorrow ... at last
AO Member

Hopefully your visitors have gone so we can get an update!!
Damien_C

Nice work now seen as you put so much effort into get it to a meet 155's are rare at the meets 166's are too common though

(Post Link) post #15 of 50 Old 23-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

Well I got it started, oil pressure looks okish
Sounds a bit tappety but this hopefully will go out of it once I take it for a spin. Just got to put back on the bumper, slam panel and lighting now.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

well morgan your dramas are over and mine are about to begin so I'll keep this thread going
Oh and cheers for the PM, very much appreciated, hadnt a clue where to start
Unregistered

it'll sound tappety until it get fully warmed up, she be grand then
AO Member

County: Tipperary

Member car:

166 2.5 V6

I had a 155 with 212k mls. on it and it still pulled like a train, the engine had never been opened (the guy before me had it for years).

As for your theory on the oil starvation and being on-track at Mondello it's feasible alright I guess. I tracked another 155 I had there and if you took turn 5 (the fast, long right-hander before you head down into Tarzan 1) in third gear it would pop out of gear mid-way through the corner because it rolled over so much that when the engine and box moved in it's mountings it was the same as moving the gear linkage. I've pics of it and you'd swear it was about to use it's door handles as stabilisers to stop it going over !!
(Post Link) post #19 of 50 Old 24-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltona View Post
I had a 155 with 212k mls. on it and it still pulled like a train, the engine had never been opened (the guy before me had it for years).

As for your theory on the oil starvation and being on-track at Mondello it's feasible alright I guess. I tracked another 155 I had there and if you took turn 5 (the fast, long right-hander before you head down into Tarzan 1) in third gear it would pop out of gear mid-way through the corner because it rolled over so much that when the engine and box moved in it's mountings it was the same as moving the gear linkage. I've pics of it and you'd swear it was about to use it's door handles as stabilisers to stop it going over !!
LOL they do lean a bit on the corners alright - a case of roll up the windows!
Good to hear of one going well with that mileage, must have been well looked after fair play to you and previous owners.

Anyway I've got mine back together but the ****** alternator is not charging the battery
Strange, because it's one of the few things I didn't touch while doing all the work, although I did spin the pulley to check for wear when I had the aux belt off.
Cue plenty more investigation with the multimeter.......
Unregistered

you must have damaged the 'excitor' wire to the alternator, what else could it be unless the belt is not back on?

Had you disconnected any of the conenctors around the battery? maybe try wiggling the relays near where you were working
(Post Link) post #21 of 50 Old 25-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

Thanks Red156,

It's a weird problem so here goes:
- when the aux belt is left off the car the battery light is on (makes sense)
- with the belt fitted the battery light goes off (also makes sense)
- except, when I turn the steering and engage the PS pump the battery light comes on, and then off again once I let go the steering wheel.

My understanding is that when the battery light is on the battery is producing more current than the alternator.

I've double checked all the wiring aroud the battery and all looks good and as soon as it stops raining Ill get the multimeter out to it.

Any ideas?
Unregistered

is the belt slipping?

Light on means that the alternator is not charging enough to supply the demands of various electrical systems.
have you measured the voltage been produced?

Is the belt a short [ no air-con ] or long [ with air-con ], perhaps you routed it in-correctly?

if its along belt it should go from:

> the alternator to the PS pump
> onto the air-con pump [ thats the longest straight line along the top of these 2 pulleys ]
> from the bottom of the air con to the large idle pulley [ i fit the belt onto that idler last ]
> from that onto the crank pulley then
> onto the tensioner back to the alternator

If its a short belt, then its a triangle route from alt to PS to crank with a 'Hump' along the bottom where it fits to the upper side of the tensioner, would be like a star-trek symbol

http://www.seeklogo.com/images/S/Sta...eklogo.com.gif
(Post Link) post #23 of 50 Old 25-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

Cheers, yes it does sound like the belt is slipping, although all the pulleys seem to be turning smoothly and increasing with revs. Probably hard to tell for sure by just looking though.
If that's all it is then I'll be happy.

I also replaced the exhaust front pipe so the other possibility is that I damaged some of the wiring from the alternator at the back of the engine while I was pulling the lambda cable up through that area.

I'll know for sure once I measure the voltages - it's lashing rain here at the moment.

The belt is the short one and is fitted ok (cant really go wrong with the short one). Although I dont have a fancy flash gordon star on mine
(Post Link) post #24 of 50 Old 25-08-11 Thread Starter
mo4
AO Member

Right I'm getting only 8.5v form the alternator with engine running.
I can get over 10v from it by just spinning the pulley by hand so the belt is obviously slipping.
Hopefully that's all it is and Ill be motoring later once I fit a new tensioner

btw the tensioner has only 20k miles on it but it's been off the car for the last 3 weeks so it didn't like being untensioned for so long.
Unregistered

short or long belt?

perhaps its just the way you have it routed? if it was ok before you did the belt change then i suspect thats the issue & not the tensioner

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
155 , dramas

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page