Be carefull out there - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 16-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Cry Like A Baby Be carefull out there

lads and ladettes ,,

Just to give ye a heads up , A friend of mine is selling his car ( Franko no price so dont start !)
and recieved an Email stating that a guy in the UK was interested and would pay through Paypal . Everything looked perfect and emails from Paypal etc looked perfect . The Paypal mail stated that the money had been transferred and that 3500 was lodged from the buyers account. This money would be transferred and as a "security" measure to safegaurd both parties the money would be held by PAYPAL . Of this 3500 , and as the money was ready to be transferred , all that was needed was that the seller was required to pay the transport company 450 euro which could be paid by money transfer . !!! Emails from the seller to [email protected] confirming this seemed ok .. But this is a scam and my friend is now out 450 ... The exact email for the correct paypal account is [email protected]intl.paypal.com so to be honest it is fairly similar .. Anyway just in case , this can happen in any sales transaction so beware

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Sorry to hear that
So many ways of getting scammed these days & even thinking you're safe by doing a few safety checks doesn't always even seem to work
propellorhead

Just spoke to a paypal employee I know and you'll always see a reference inyour account (paypal) if a payment has recieved.

Why would a payment company advise you to send any money through a different payment company?

Also if you want to contact PP login first and do it that way, Email addresses are easy to duplicate too apparently!

Nice one for the heads up, buyer beware I suppose...

(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 16-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Sorry to hear that
So many ways of getting scammed these days & even thinking you're safe by doing a few safety checks doesn't always even seem to work
Well to be fair it was so well done but the guy was so happy to have his car sold (as he thought!) and as all the checks seemed right , there was about 20 emails forward and back and nothing looked out of place , it was so well done . The first thing was that the money would be transferred directly to sellers account but if the seller wanted it could be sent via PAYPAL !! This is why he thought it was a good sale !

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellorhead View Post
Just spoke to a paypal employee I know and you'll always see a reference inyour account (paypal) if a payment has recieved.

Why would a payment company advise you to send any money through a different payment company?

Also if you want to contact PP login first and do it that way, Email addresses are easy to duplicate too apparently!

Nice one for the heads up, buyer beware I suppose...
As above it looked so like it came from Paypal , one little detail (intl) missing in the email which is a mistake I know, but every email looked that it did come from [email protected] !!

It seemed credible that the buyer wanted to make sure HE wasnt being scammed :
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

I can send an e-mail being whoever I want.

eg: [email protected] , [email protected] and etc. It's really easy to scam people these days. You said there was a guy in the UK interested in buying the car. The car itself is here in Ireland ?
(Post Link) post #6 of 22 Old 16-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Rob yes I am aware that he was in the UK but we go to the UK to buy cars as well so it s not that hard to understand that someone would do the opposite of what we do . Consider that our older cars are mostly "rust free" so it makes sense that people over there would be interested in oirish cars . So it was you now where's his money
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Rob yes I am aware that he was in the UK but we go to the UK to buy cars as well so it s not that hard to understand that someone would do the opposite of what we do . Consider that our older cars are mostly "rust free" so it makes sense that people over there would be interested in oirish cars . So it was you now where's his money
I know the dilemma here considering he was from the UK. If it was someone saying he's working from Greece or something that would've hit the alarm button. But why would anyone pay money before seeing the car ?
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 16-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well rob the guy is 22 years old and to be fair I paid a deposit on the 2 cars i bought before seeing them in the flesh , so its not too out of the ordinary , in the end regardless of the situation the young fella worked the summer and had saved 1500 so its a big loss to him .. Its a big lesson learned .. So you can put me in the bracket of paying money before i saw the cars . It was a condition that I pay a deposit before as they would not keep the car without deposit . Even then it cost about 300-400 euro to actually see the car so if I hadnt bought them I would have lost the 300-400 in travel , food etc , so I could have been that langer as well
AO Silver Member

Ah crap. That's bad luck

Is his paypal account fuelled by his credit card? If so he might be covered under cc insurance.
Fax a complaint to the cc company with copies of emails and all correspondence/details. The cc company will give you a fax number. It may take a month but he may get cash back.

What did paypal have to say I wonder?

There are some scumbags out there.......
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 16-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

No cathal , he has no credit card so it was fuelled with his debit card so all he was debited was the 1.50 set up charge that paypal refund in any case . Paypal is not to blame here it was a stupid (over zealous in selling his car !) mistake by a young guy. Its hard to put an old head on young shoulders , as you know the younger generation know it all .. i was like that too at their age to be fair !
Unregistered

County: Wexford
I pay little or no attention to e-mails from potential UK buyers, espically those that ask for ME to pay for transport charges. 'Grand in the hand is worth more than millions in cyber-space'

I assume the seller still poossess the car.
(Post Link) post #12 of 22 Old 17-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Yes I would too but PAYPAL was written all over the email , looked so real , Ive seen the email myself and "they" are good . We have the knowledge of experience Pat as I said it was a foolish mistake by a young fella , pity as he worked hard for the summer !! This not only applies to cars but to all transactions .. I really dont need people to prove how they never got/get caught its just a heads up We were all young once
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
We were all young once
Really
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Yes I would too but PAYPAL was written all over the email , looked so real , Ive seen the email myself and "they" are good . We have the knowledge of experience Pat as I said it was a foolish mistake by a young fella , pity as he worked hard for the summer !! This not only applies to cars but to all transactions .. I really dont need people to prove how they never got/get caught its just a heads up We were all young once

It's crazy.. the scammers have come a long way since the poor quality photocopied bank draft with 'too much' money asking for the refund...

I sincerely hope this bloke chokes on his ill gotten gains....

Does your friend have copies of the original emails? Does he know where the emails were spoofed from?

EDIT : I too have given deposits to sellers in the UK for cars without actually seeing them..
Unregistered

A deposit is one thing but to be asked to pay transport cost is ALWAYS a give away. The idea of Paypal is that the person 'lodges' the money online which can be seen by the 2nd party who can then accept or decline it. if the money wasn't in his payapl account, there was no payment.
Unregistered

I do feel sorry for the person concerned but often in life people don't learn without some form of 'pain'
Unregistered

As you know I buy/sell the 'odd' car from time to time. I've paid deposits & recevied depoists. Once I pay or once I received a deposit I consider it a 'done-deal'. Occasionally if a person does have a change of heart I return the deposit. Life's too short to argue over €50 or €100. However if I change my mind I don't bother looking for it back, my error, my loss.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Dermo, why would the SELLER have to pay transport costs? If you buy a car its up to you to pick it up or arrange TRANSPORT, not the seller. Was your mate a little too eager to offload the car?
(Post Link) post #19 of 22 Old 17-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

I don't have all te details of the said transaction , but looking at some of the emails that were sent it "looked" very like the real deal ... The story was that paypal had the funds totalling 3500 and "to safegaurd both parties , it was a conditon that the transport was paid " once the receipt was recieved by "PAYPAL" the funds would then be released . It was the first time the guy used paypal and that was a problem as well....

Just put the thread for info lads ... It wasnt me .. !
Unregistered

Well done Dermo for doing that. Every scam we hear about will hopefully prevent more of us getting caught.

Moral of story = If in doubt, say NO THANKS or WALK AWAY
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 17-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red156Ti View Post
Well done Dermo for doing that. Every scam we hear about will hopefully prevent more of us getting caught.

Moral of story = If in doubt, say NO THANKS or WALK AWAY
Good advice
(Post Link) post #22 of 22 Old 18-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

its sold now again so glad its worked out

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
carefull

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page