Newbie looking to get into Alfa Romeo ownership - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 07-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

Newbie looking to get into Alfa Romeo ownership

Hey guys I have just recently sold my Bmw 530D and I am now looking to get a Alfa.
My preference was a 2004 156 diesel but the car I had my eye sold before I managed to sell mine. So now I am torn between the 1.8 petrol 156 and the gt diesel model.

Firstly was is the 1.8 engine like is it quick and hows the mpg?
The thing turning me off the gt slightly is its a bit girly.

Let me know what you guys think.
funnyclub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Wicklow
Posts: 1,316

Member car:

Giulia TI

156s are great cars if you get a good one. Get a bad one and it will have your heart scalded. I know this from experience (i'm on my 3rd 156). Make sure you have service history and the oil is topped up an a twinspark. They do not take kindly to being left run low on oil. Also listen for suspension knocks and make sur eit has had a timing belt done in it's lifetime.

If you are going for a V6 (i would advise it ) make sure it has had the waterpump and all the idlers and tensioners done as well. Don;t take peoples word on this. Phone garages etc and ask them. You will love Alfas after coming form that german appliance you had before.

If you need any help just ask on here. Everyone is sound.
bat_lezerby is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
This Funnyclub from DTD days with the big power EVO's and Scoobs? Honestly they aren't really what you would consider fast by modern standards but they handle really well and are amazingly well put together.

Just watch out for the usual bits and peices reall suspension upper wishbones and sometimes the lower ones go too with higher mileage but they aren't that expensive to buy or replace once you know what you are at. Make sure they have got a belt and a the people who did the belt know what they are at so that they do not miss time the engine.

The 1.8 is the best of the punch imo, very free revving and sounds great too. The GT's are basically a 147 and are great handling cars and in the diesel format can be remapped to 170bhp and a monumental amount of torque and are quick enough too. If you can find a 2.4 JTD 156 20V engine with 180bhp your laughing as a map will make them up to 200bhp+ and a mountain of torque.
 
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 85,211
Garage
I think the GT is one of the best looking Alfas ever made & certainly beats all other recent manafactures coupes in the looks department
David P is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 35 Old 07-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
This Funnyclub from DTD days with the big power EVO's and Scoobs? Honestly they aren't really what you would consider fast by modern standards but they handle really well and are amazingly well put together.

Just watch out for the usual bits and peices reall suspension upper wishbones and sometimes the lower ones go too with higher mileage but they aren't that expensive to buy or replace once you know what you are at. Make sure they have got a belt and a the people who did the belt know what they are at so that they do not miss time the engine.

The 1.8 is the best of the punch imo, very free revving and sounds great too. The GT's are basically a 147 and are great handling cars and in the diesel format can be remapped to 170bhp and a monumental amount of torque and are quick enough too. If you can find a 2.4 JTD 156 20V engine with 180bhp your laughing as a map will make them up to 200bhp+ and a mountain of torque.

Yes mate it is indeed. Long gone are my big power cars I am more concerned with mpg nowadays lol.
This is the 156 I have my eye on ***** 156 sport for sale in Dublin : €5,950 - DoneDeal.ie

And this is the gt I have my eye on Alfa romeo GT jtd diesel 04 for sale in Wexford : €5,500 - DoneDeal.ie
funnyclub is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyclub View Post
Yes mate it is indeed. Long gone are my big power cars I am more concerned with mpg nowadays lol.
This is the 156 I have my eye on ***** 156 sport for sale in Dublin : €5,950 - DoneDeal.ie

And this is the gt I have my eye on Alfa romeo GT jtd diesel 04 for sale in Wexford : €5,500 - DoneDeal.ie
Sad day that is

If you want I will go with you and have a look at the cars if you like. That Ti is a nice one my Dad had the exact same spec as that but his was a 2l I'd wary too that is a 1.8 most of these where 1.6's so make sure you check it.
 
(Post Link) post #7 of 35 Old 07-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Sad day that is

If you want I will go with you and have a look at the cars if you like. That Ti is a nice one my Dad had the exact same spec as that but his was a 2l I'd wary too that is a 1.8 most of these where 1.6's so make sure you check it.
Cool mate. I might be going to look at it tomorrow.

There is also this one which is a year older and a good bit cheaper.

ALFA 156 TI 1.8TS for sale in Wicklow : €3,999 - DoneDeal.ie
funnyclub is offline  
Status: Missin' Julie
AO Member
 
Iluv164v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Tipperary
Posts: 231
Obviously appearances are a matter of opinion, but I think the GT is the best looking Alfa in a long time. If I change next year, it will hopefully be to a diesel GT. I sat into one at a Meet a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the seats and driving position.
Iluv164v6 is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyclub View Post
Cool mate. I might be going to look at it tomorrow.

There is also this one which is a year older and a good bit cheaper.

ALFA 156 TI 1.8TS for sale in Wicklow : €3,999 - DoneDeal.ie
Wow that's very nice, I'd say you'd get that at 3.5k
 
(Post Link) post #10 of 35 Old 07-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Wow that's very nice, I'd say you'd get that at 3.5k
Ya its nice the 2005 above the guy said he would take 5k.
funnyclub is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
There both at a good price to be honest. As I said, if you want someone to go and have a look with you let me know I have free travel.
 
(Post Link) post #12 of 35 Old 07-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
There both at a good price to be honest. As I said, if you want someone to go and have a look with you let me know I have free travel.
Tnx man

The diesel I thought was gone actually isnt they might be trading it in tomorrow so I told them to wait till monday as I might take it if I like it. alfa romeo for sale in Galway : €4,500 - DoneDeal.ie
funnyclub is offline  
Status: Alone in the wilderness
AO Platinum Member
 
Dermo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
County: -
Posts: 13,001

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

The only other thing about Ti's is although the alloys make them they are quite soft for our roads as Damien knows But I have a spare one here if you do buy it. If its was me and as you said youre worried about MPG you cant go wrong with the Diseasal . Never had the GT put down as a hairdressers car TBH but its your call .. Anyway get someone to go with you that knows there Alfa's . Damien does know them in fairness .
Dermo is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,833
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
The only other thing about Ti's is although the alloys make them they are quite soft for our roads as Damien knows But I have a spare one here if you do buy it. If its was me and as you said youre worried about MPG you cant go wrong with the Diseasal . Never had the GT put down as a hairdressers car TBH but its your call .. Anyway get someone to go with you that knows there Alfa's . Damien does know them in fairness .
'Diseasal' - you're some boyo!
Mufasa is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 35 Old 08-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

OK I looked at this one today and as mint as it looks in the pics its a dog. Lots of dents and to be honest I didnt even like it to drive pretty lifeless if ya ask me

***** 156 sport for sale in Dublin : €5,950 - DoneDeal.ie

So I hope to get down to see the GT on Monday and if I like it I will buy
funnyclub is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
That must be a 1.6 then so the 1.8's aren't that bad to drive a GT is the way to go they are nice even if they are a bit heavier than a 156.
 
(Post Link) post #17 of 35 Old 12-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

Hopefully buying a 2004 156ti 1.9jtd today. Full service history 104,000 miles currently having front wishbones done. Hopefully its as nice as it looks. I will post pics if I get it.
funnyclub is offline  
Status: Una nuova auto e necessaria
AO Silver Member
 
Cathal_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 2,419
Congrats man! :ROCK1: You will not be dissapointed.

Do post pictures when you pick her up... and of course dont forget to drop along to a meet so we can see her.

It's a nice feeling that 'just about to pick up my new car" feeling, isn't it?? ..
Cathal_H is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Good man the Diesels are the best of the bunch if your mile munching and can be mapped to 170bhp fairly handy.
 
Status: Selling up soon :(
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 158

Member car:

Alfa 156

Funnyclub! Welcome aboard.

I got sick of reliable Honda's sitting on my drive needing nothing.

Loving my 156, needs attention and love, but nothing major and they will last if looked after. You just have to service and keep an eye on them. Fix problems as they arise.
jf_cole is offline  
(Post Link) post #21 of 35 Old 13-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf_cole View Post
Funnyclub! Welcome aboard.

I got sick of reliable Honda's sitting on my drive needing nothing.

Loving my 156, needs attention and love, but nothing major and they will last if looked after. You just have to service and keep an eye on them. Fix problems as they arise.
Hey Jeff man hope your well.
funnyclub is offline  
(Post Link) post #22 of 35 Old 13-07-11 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
County: Westmeath
Posts: 10

Member car:

Alfa 156

By the way guys I went to Galway to view this alfa romeo for sale in Galway : €4,500 - DoneDeal.ie its now in a garage it was traded in by its owners and it was in a bad way body wise. I am very fussy when it comes to my car so I just walked away. So the search goes on
funnyclub is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Honestly it will take a while to find a nice Alfa man. I think it took me 15 cars before I bought my 146 and the same for the 156, get yourself to Gerry Campbell in Dublin he normally knows of nice cars for sale and if they are minded by him they are good ones.
 
Status: Giggity Giggity...... Giggitygoo
AO Silver Member
 
Alfa155 TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 3,230

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

thats a real shame because I really like the facelift ti 156s, they really are nice. Your dead right to walk away, its your hard earned cash, unless you won the euromillions, so be patient, the right one will come along. Given your in Westrmeath there is a lad you should ring, he is an Alfa specialist based out of johnstownbridge and often has good 156s for sale
Alfa Romeo Service and repair by Don Baker Ireland
Alfa155 TS is offline  
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,833
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien_c View Post
get yourself to gerry campbell in dublin he normally knows of nice cars for sale and if they are minded by him they are good ones.
+1
Mufasa is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , newbie , ownership , romeo

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie to Alfa ownership :Gizmo: Introduce Yourself 4 24-05-09 18:01

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome