Anyone ever fit EBC Green Stuff pads to their 159? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 18-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Anyone ever fit EBC Green Stuff pads to their 159?

Hello all.
The brakes on my 159 have been squeaking pretty badly over the last couple of weeks. I dropped the car into the garage to have them looked at, they said that they were perfect with plenty of copper grease on them. This leads me to believe that cheap pads were fitted by the previous owner. Am going to switch pads to cure this as I have read that cheap pads especially new OEM pads from China produce a lot of brake dust and squeal something awful. Have my choice down to Ferodo or EBC green/red pads, anyone out there tried either of these brands?

Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Normally not all pads that sqeek are cheap ones normally the more expensive ones sqeek mine do and they are Ferordo DS2500 pads on my yoke. My buddy has EBC greenstuff pads and they are good.

AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

147 Lusso

You can file the edges of the pads and that helps reduce the squeeks
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso View Post
You can file the edges of the pads and that helps reduce the squeeks
Donít you think if you have to ďfileĒ down the pads there is something wrong?

Ned
Damien_C

I think he means sands down as in if they where glazed from heavy braking.

AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

yeah if it's any consolation my 159 brakes are squeaking at moment too at low speed and it's with Alfa pads - usually just a phase rather than bad pads or over-wear and often some energetic driving and breaking can fix it. For what it's work though, I looked into pads before and came up with similar choice: EBC Red or Ferodo DS2500.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Had the squeaks too on my car, as said above, a good deployment of anchors normally sorts it out.

There are 4 pads coming up for replacement soon so will be looking at above brands. Based on no experience with these what-so-ever (only reading threads on AO) I'll chance a set of EBC Yellow or Red... Red has less dust apparently.

Yellowstuff Brake Pads 4000 "R" Series

Redstuff Brake Pads
mo4
AO Member

County: -
You dont need fast road pads to stop brakes from squealing, you only need them if you're going to be doing track days or similar driving. There are in fact disadvantages to using them in Ireland, especially if on motorways in the wet.

To stop brakes from squealing you simply need to service the caliper and fit the pads properly - it's the carrier gear that makes the squeal and not the pad believe it or not.
Damien_C

I know for a fact that performance pads do squeal buddy has a set of Pagid blues on his Clio and the thing squeals like a stuck pig.

Cathal, I can get ya a spin in my buddies BMW with EBC Greens on it if you wanna exerpeience them first hand.

AO Member

Member car:

alfa

MO 4 is correct.
I posted a thread about this very problem a while back.
I had my brakes copper creased 4 times in total. The disks chamferred(hope thats the correct spelling).
I blew compressed air into the callipers many many times and the awfull squelling was still there.

Here is how I solved the problem.
Simply WD 40.
I sprayed liberaly all over the callipers and before anybody gets on their high horse about the dangers I was fully concious about how soft this would make the brakes.

So, I drove the car at night up and down the motorway applying the brakes(not throwing down the ankors as ive seen some suggest) but ever increasing pressure and the next day the sqeeeeeel was gone.

Three months on and still nothing.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 159 View Post
MO 4 is correct.
I posted a thread about this very problem a while back.
I had my brakes copper creased 4 times in total. The disks chamferred(hope thats the correct spelling).
I blew compressed air into the callipers many many times and the awfull squelling was still there.

Here is how I solved the problem.
Simply WD 40.
I sprayed liberaly all over the callipers and before anybody gets on their high horse about the dangers I was fully concious about how soft this would make the brakes.

So, I drove the car at night up and down the motorway applying the brakes(not throwing down the ankors as ive seen some suggest) but ever increasing pressure and the next day the sqeeeeeel was gone.

Three months on and still nothing.
Did you avoid the discs and pad friction area or just hit everywhere?
My rear pads are squealing on the 166 (if its ok to mention that in a 159 thread )
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

PS forget about windex - WD40 is your only man....
AO Member

County: Aberdeen

Member car:

147 TS

ive heard that Green stuff pads are a bitty iffy in the rain? Anyone confirm this?!
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobbie-147 View Post
ive heard that Green stuff pads are a bitty iffy in the rain? Anyone confirm this?!
To put it simply - Yes!

At general driving speeds around town it''ll be ok (but whats the point in race pads then). There is less of a feel off the pads so it can be difficult to guage the modulation and bite point. Once you have ABS it should be ok though.

On wet motorways at speed it's a different story, very dangerous and imo verging on the ridiculous that they are road legal at all.
AO Member

County: Aberdeen

Member car:

147 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
To put it simply - Yes!

At general driving speeds around town it''ll be ok (but whats the point in race pads then). There is less of a feel off the pads so it can be difficult to guage the modulation and bite point. Once you have ABS it should be ok though.

On wet motorways at speed it's a different story, very dangerous and imo verging on the ridiculous that they are road legal at all.
Cheers pal!
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Important update: my squeal has now gone Just one of them things that come and go sometimes...
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 03-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Hi all.
Have had the calipers cleaned and pads copper greased twice and still they are squealing...it's doing my noggin in...and of today I think the heat shield has a crack in it and is buzzing at take off...will just have to turn the stereo up

Pete.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'05 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Normally not all pads that sqeek are cheap ones normally the more expensive ones sqeek mine do and they are Ferordo DS2500 pads on my yoke. My buddy has EBC greenstuff pads and they are good.
What are the Ferodo DS2500 like? Pretty bitey? Wondering what pads to get. Pretty put off by the EBC greens in the wet. Will be buying some front discs as well as mine are slighly warped.
Damien_C

We have them on the 166 and they are very good. Good feel and the hotter you get them the better they are I like them.

(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 19-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Have finally sorted the brake problem...put some Alfa pads in...expensive but at least quiet...
Damien_C

I have carbon Lorraine pads to go into the 156 will update when they are bedded in.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , ebc , fit , green , pads , stuff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page